Need a power supply for x1950 pro AGP

voodoo_papa

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
not 100% sure, but I just picked up a x1950 and I can get into windows, but eventually the system freezes. When I run games they load up and freeze my system almost instantly.

I usually get a blue screen, sometimes the monitors just go black, sometimes it reboots.

the specs say it needs a 450 w psu with 30a on the 12v rail. I only have one four pin 12v rail, im assuming its the one connected to my mobo. Its rated at 20a. The psu is an enermax 460w.

I use SCSI drives and a PCI SCSI controller, AMD 64 3200+, audigy 2 zs, 1 cd rom, 1 dvd

problem is, im having a hard time finding a PSU with 30 amp on the 12v rail. Ill also need a 6pin pci-exp adapter.

thanks!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Whats your budget? I have a 620w Enermax liberty (36a on the +12v rail), works fine with my 1950xt, since your using a 1950pro i would get the 500w version, 32a on the +12v rail.

voodoo_papa

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
as cheap as absolutely possible. under $150.

do my symptoms fit the bill of inadequate power? forgot to mention, the board is a HIS x1950pro turbo Iceq3 512meg.

i actively monitor heat and voltage drops. my heat is about 46c-48c under full load and there are no voltage drops at all.

voodoo_papa

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
thanks mate :)

luckily I called a shop here in town, he says he has several. very cheap though which worries me.

ever hear of a Nikao? Ive only ever used antec and enermax.

he quoted this for 59 bux
http://www.nikao.net/ice450wsl.htm

i could do without all the fancy lights but its a hell of a price

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I'll refer you to this other thread to avoid repeating everything.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/x1950-Pro-AGP-crashes-unstable-behavior-ftopict219813.html

But I'd be concerned if it is crashing like that, and there is a real possibility even with a better power supply, if you got bad VRMs on the board, it'll still be crashing. So I'd opt to RMA the thing quick.

For whatever its worth, I RMA-ed my Powercolor x1950 Pro AGP, and got a HIS ICEQ3 x1950 pro. I'm currently using a Corsair HX520. It's been only a couple of evenings of testing, i.e. 16 hours of uptime to date. It is a several magnitudes more stable, but I've seen 3dMark 03 crash to the desktop a handful of times, though 3dMark05 never crashed, and there has been no hard lockup or system hangs or blank black screens (other than when I accidentally pulled the plug while defragging the disk and corrupted by Company of Heroes install, which seems to be fixed by a re-install)

I'm still investigating whether to raise the voltage on the AGP or disable fast writes, but that will have to wait till the weekend.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
BTW in my search to get this thing stable, I tried an Antec HE500, and that was total disaster. The stupid powers up for 15 seconds and then the machine shuts down. Given that I've got a Abit AV8, and it has that siren thing, the siren goes off. I wouldn't bother with Antec for power supplies, it seem their quality control has really fallen off the cliff.

voodoo_papa

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
its been years since I used ATI. you have no idea how I felt when I ordered this thing, that gut instinct feeling. even when I installed it, I had already convinced myself it wouldnt work.

im gonna give it the benefit of the doubt though. ive got a heavy loaded system and im not using a PSU stated that it requires.

but based on the thread you posted, im not gonna go all out on a PSU. im gonna go get the $60 one which is exactly what the board says it needs. if it fails, yes I wont hesitate to RMA it. it costs too much to have to jump through hoops.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Unless your goal is to drive your system into the ground i wouldnt get that psu, there are very few $50 PSUs that are quality. Nikao isnt a brand that comes to mind when the word quality is mentioned. The 3 PSUs doolittle suggested are all pretty good. Some of the brands you should look for are Antec, Enermax, FSP Group (also known as Fortron), PC P&C, Silverstone, SeaSonic, OCZ, Tagan, Corsair, Zalman, and Thermaltake.

voodoo_papa

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
your right. thats my frustration speaking :) im gonna go by the guys shop and see what else he has.

and if theres nothing of any quality I'll buy one from newegg