Your question

Your experience with overclocking and CPU failure

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Hardware
Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2007 1:47:24 PM

All the overclocking guides say overclocking will shorten your hardware's lifetime. Everyone in the forums says big deal you will need to upgrade by then anyway. <Yawn>. I'm more interested in your actual experience with products you have owned in the past. How many of you have actually had hardware fail after you overclocked it? How long/fast/hot did you run it before that point? It would be interesting to put a lot of people's collective experience in one place and see what the risks really are.

More about : experience overclocking cpu failure

February 2, 2007 4:24:19 PM

Starting with a 486/66 I have overclocked nearly every cpu I have owned. But I have never pushed them to the limit. example...today the 4300 will go to 3.2 or 3.6. I just go to 3.0 that is pretty typical of me.

That being said...I have never had a cpu go bad from overclocking...and each and everyone of them lasted without problems until I was ready to upgrade. I know thats not quite what you wanted to hear...but seriously...I have never had one go bad
February 3, 2007 5:43:30 AM

Quote:
All the overclocking guides say overclocking will shorten your hardware's lifetime. Everyone in the forums says big deal you will need to upgrade by then anyway. <Yawn>. I'm more interested in your actual experience with products you have owned in the past. How many of you have actually had hardware fail after you overclocked it? How long/fast/hot did you run it before that point? It would be interesting to put a lot of people's collective experience in one place and see what the risks really are.
I overclock all my CPU's usually to the limit, and voltage cranked up. I've had 1 CPU die(NSDS) and i got it off of eBay, so i don't know how hard it was pushed. Other than that isolated case, i've never had a CPU die/fry, etc. Memory, yes..i've fried my share of sticks(also heavily overvolted). A mobo or 2 also, usually caps go. CPU's seem pretty rugged though (but they're actively cooled vs memory/older mobo capacitors). :wink: