Your experience with overclocking and CPU failure

All the overclocking guides say overclocking will shorten your hardware's lifetime. Everyone in the forums says big deal you will need to upgrade by then anyway. <Yawn>. I'm more interested in your actual experience with products you have owned in the past. How many of you have actually had hardware fail after you overclocked it? How long/fast/hot did you run it before that point? It would be interesting to put a lot of people's collective experience in one place and see what the risks really are.
2 answers Last reply
More about your experience overclocking failure
  1. Starting with a 486/66 I have overclocked nearly every cpu I have owned. But I have never pushed them to the limit. example...today the 4300 will go to 3.2 or 3.6. I just go to 3.0 that is pretty typical of me.

That being said...I have never had a cpu go bad from overclocking...and each and everyone of them lasted without problems until I was ready to upgrade. I know thats not quite what you wanted to hear...but seriously...I have never had one go bad
  2. Quote:
    All the overclocking guides say overclocking will shorten your hardware's lifetime. Everyone in the forums says big deal you will need to upgrade by then anyway. <Yawn>. I'm more interested in your actual experience with products you have owned in the past. How many of you have actually had hardware fail after you overclocked it? How long/fast/hot did you run it before that point? It would be interesting to put a lot of people's collective experience in one place and see what the risks really are.
    I overclock all my CPU's usually to the limit, and voltage cranked up. I've had 1 CPU die(NSDS) and i got it off of eBay, so i don't know how hard it was pushed. Other than that isolated case, i've never had a CPU die/fry, etc. Memory, yes..i've fried my share of sticks(also heavily overvolted). A mobo or 2 also, usually caps go. CPU's seem pretty rugged though (but they're actively cooled vs memory/older mobo capacitors). :wink:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Hardware