DVI vs. component video cables

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 16, 2004 6:00:36 AM

Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component cable
right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:00:37 AM

"John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component
cable
> right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.

Depends on your TV

if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes sense
to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.

if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it makes
little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the DVI
cable.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:00:38 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component
> cable
> > right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.
>
> Depends on your TV
>
> if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
sense
> to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
>
> if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it makes
> little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the DVI
> cable.

See now I wondered if the Hitachi RP HDTVs with DVI input was a digital
display or not...
June 16, 2004 6:00:39 AM

"LionOfJudah" <thepuppetmaster@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component
> > cable
> > > right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.
> >
> > Depends on your TV
> >
> > if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
> sense
> > to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
> >
> > if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it makes
> > little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the DVI
> > cable.
>
> See now I wondered if the Hitachi RP HDTVs with DVI input was a digital
> display or not...

One thing I can say is when I hooked up my computer via DVI and played
Unreal Tournament at 480p...the picture was crystal clear and straight lines
were straight and sharp as if the display was intrinsically digital. But
that can't really be, can it?
June 16, 2004 2:17:22 PM

> "LionOfJudah" <thepuppetmaster@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > cable
Thanks.

> > > Depends on your TV
> > >
> > > if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
> > sense
> > > to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
> > >
> > > if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it
makes
> > > little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the
DVI
> > > cable.
> >
> > See now I wondered if the Hitachi RP HDTVs with DVI input was a digital
> > display or not...
>
> One thing I can say is when I hooked up my computer via DVI and played
> Unreal Tournament at 480p...the picture was crystal clear and straight
lines
> were straight and sharp as if the display was intrinsically digital. But
> that can't really be, can it?

Picture quality aside, your digital set may provide more control if you use
the DVI input. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Richard.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:33:07 AM

"LionOfJudah" <thepuppetmaster@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "LionOfJudah" <thepuppetmaster@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > cable
Thanks.

> > > Depends on your TV
> > >
> > > if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
> > sense
> > > to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
> > >
> > > if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it
makes
> > > little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the
DVI
> > > cable.
> >
> > See now I wondered if the Hitachi RP HDTVs with DVI input was a digital
> > display or not...
>
> One thing I can say is when I hooked up my computer via DVI and played
> Unreal Tournament at 480p...the picture was crystal clear and straight
lines
> were straight and sharp as if the display was intrinsically digital. But
> that can't really be, can it?

Depends... some "VGA" RGB computer cables are notoriously bad.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:45:06 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component
> cable
> > right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.
>
> Depends on your TV
>
> if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
sense
> to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
>
> if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it makes
> little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the DVI
> cable.

Unless it happens to one of the many that use digital video processing, so
the analog input would to be digitized anyway.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:07:56 PM

"Keith Jack" <kjack2@video-demystified.com> wrote in message

> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Coleman" <peterpelican@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there really much of a difference between the two? I have component
> > cable
> > > right now and am considering switching to DVI. Is it worth it? Thanks.
> >
> > Depends on your TV
> >
> > if your TV is intrinsically digital as in LCD, Plasma or DLP, it makes
> sense
> > to eliminate an D/A and a A/D step.
> >
> > if your TV is intrinsically analog as in CRT RP or direct view, it makes
> > little or no sense to move the D/A out of the STB to the end of the DVI
> > cable.
>
> Unless it happens to one of the many that use digital video processing, so
> the analog input would to be digitized anyway.

Many HD monitors (particularly the cheaper ones) bypass their digital
processing to display component HD inputs.
This is why their PIP and stretch/freeze/zoom functions only work for
conventional video sources.
June 18, 2004 7:08:22 AM

In article <Y66dnb8-FfjNuU_dRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

> Many HD monitors (particularly the cheaper ones) bypass their digital
> processing to display component HD inputs.
> This is why their PIP and stretch/freeze/zoom functions only work for
> conventional video sources.

Don't know about freeze but aren't most HDTV displays unable to stretch
or zoom component sources?
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:08:11 PM

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-F1EDCF.20082117062004@netnews.comcast.net...
> In article <Y66dnb8-FfjNuU_dRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Many HD monitors (particularly the cheaper ones) bypass their digital
> > processing to display component HD inputs.
> > This is why their PIP and stretch/freeze/zoom functions only work for
> > conventional video sources.
>
> Don't know about freeze but aren't most HDTV displays unable to stretch
> or zoom component sources?

I would suspect that the PIP feature is the best giveaway - if PIP doesn't
work in HD, then the set is probably bypassing the digital processing.
June 19, 2004 10:25:43 PM

In article <vsidnRZ1q6B_6E7dRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

> "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> news:p oldy-F1EDCF.20082117062004@netnews.comcast.net...
> > In article <Y66dnb8-FfjNuU_dRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
> > "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Many HD monitors (particularly the cheaper ones) bypass their digital
> > > processing to display component HD inputs.
> > > This is why their PIP and stretch/freeze/zoom functions only work for
> > > conventional video sources.
> >
> > Don't know about freeze but aren't most HDTV displays unable to stretch
> > or zoom component sources?
>
> I would suspect that the PIP feature is the best giveaway - if PIP doesn't
> work in HD, then the set is probably bypassing the digital processing.

My XBR has a freeze feature and a Twin View feature. Inputs 5-7 are
component or DVI (input 7). For inputs 1-4, and the tuners, I can Twin
View any combo from any input but I can't put inputs 5-7 in the Twin
View.

Only exception is if I switch to input 5-7 and then invoke Twin View, at
which point I can have one picture be an HD source and one be the tuners
or inputs 1-4.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 10:25:44 PM

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-E9FB4E.11254419062004@netnews.comcast.net...
> In article <vsidnRZ1q6B_6E7dRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> > news:p oldy-F1EDCF.20082117062004@netnews.comcast.net...

> > > Don't know about freeze but aren't most HDTV displays unable to
stretch
> > > or zoom component sources?
> >
> > I would suspect that the PIP feature is the best giveaway - if PIP
doesn't
> > work in HD, then the set is probably bypassing the digital processing.
>
> My XBR has a freeze feature and a Twin View feature. Inputs 5-7 are
> component or DVI (input 7). For inputs 1-4, and the tuners, I can Twin
> View any combo from any input but I can't put inputs 5-7 in the Twin
> View.
>
> Only exception is if I switch to input 5-7 and then invoke Twin View, at
> which point I can have one picture be an HD source and one be the tuners
> or inputs 1-4.

It appears your XBR is passing the component through some digital processing
prior to display.
June 21, 2004 3:08:42 AM

In article <x8mdnQRWcpWfFUndRVn_iw@comcast.com>,
"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

> It appears your XBR is passing the component through some digital processing
> prior to display.

Either the DRC or what they call the MID or Multi-Image-Driver. I think
MID is used to display in Twin View mode while the DRC is the scaler.
!