QX6700 or x2 Xeon 5310s for rendering?

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I am looking at getting a new computer for 3D/video rendering. The two options I am considering are either a QX6700 with 4GB of g.skill 800mhz 4-4-4-(12?) ram or x2 xeon 5310s with 4GB Kingston 667 value ram. Either way to add to that I would get an 8800gts and a pair of 150gb raptors in raid0. From the prices I have found both these options would cost within $50 of each other.

I would like to overclock the CPU if possible taking that into consideration, which would give me the best performance?

I would like to get this system within the next 2 months, so if their is a new CPU just round the corner that will give me better performance I will wait for that.

Also any suggestions on which motherboard to get for either option would be appreciated.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Go with the quad... from what i've seen performance is always better when all the cores are on one die, plus you'd be getting better ram.... now I don't know which one overclocks better, but I'd assume the quad.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
That depends, you see, a Core 2 Quad uses different RAM than the Xeons which would use a 5000X chipset (unless you wanted to go 5000P) and those need FB-DIMMs... which are GREAT for huge amounts of RAM. If you don't need massive amounts than just go with a Core 2 Quad. Also... if you're a gamer you'll find it a little bit better to game on the Quad because of the lower latency RAM.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else just let me or anyone else know.

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies, but maybe I didn’t explain too well, the xeon I am looking at is a quad core xeon, but it comes in at a lower clock speed (1.6ghz) but with two of them that takes it to 3.2ghz which is higher than the QX6700 which is 2.66 (but from what i have seen that can be overclocked to around 3.2ish) which is why I am having difficulty choosing, the lower latency ram would be nice but if the xeons are going to give me a significant increase in speed, like would having 8 cores be faster than 4 at the speed? If the xeons can be over clocked then they would have a higher combined speed. Id be fine going with that, I just cant find any clear compassions between the two.

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
main CPU intensive programs I will be using are 3Ds max, Cinema 4D, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop (Photoshop is the one that need more RAM right?)

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
In that case, go for the xeons, you might even be able to run multiple programs with that config, but you'll need lots of RAM, LOTS I'd say you'd need at least 3gigs, (the xeons can handle up to 16 DIMM slots, on four channels.)

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
with the xeon im planning on getting 4GB of 667, the ram i have found is kingston 667 value ram 1GB (4 of em) is this good ram?

works out to be the same price as good unbuffered ram, i dont want to spend too much on ram

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
one thing left of me to find is a good motherboard, possibly with over clocking support, a few things i need are GB lan, IEEE1394 and at least 6 sata ports (pref 8)

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well, as far as RAM goes, the Xeons give you way more headroom and plenty of expansion, but remember, the latency may be a bit of a problem if you get to all 16 DIMMs, unless you only have 8.

The Xeons are the better choice, as you have seen and decided. I've built a workstation or two and I do have a few tidbits that might help you in the build:

1. Make sure that you get a plenty big case. If your board is an ATX board, which it very well might be, DON'T stick it into a standard desktop mid-tower ATX case. Get a full-tower case or a server case with plenty of room to work in. Two CPUs, wiring, and heatsinks really do fill up a case in a hurry.

2. Make sure that your case has good airflow as two CPUs throw off twice as much heat as the equivalent single CPU. I'd recommend something with 2 120mm fans or better. Also, make sure airflow inside the case hits the RAM as those FB-DIMMs run hot and need a little airflow.

3. Make sure to get a EPS12V power supply with the 8-pin +12V connector. A normal ATX12V PSU probably won't have this connector and you do need it. I suggest a PSU 550W or better, especially if you have a substantial GPU or two. The CPUs draw a lot of +12V juice and thus you'll want a PSU that can output a bunch at +12V.

4. Be careful with case fans as most are 3-pin connectors and the Intel fans on the heatsinks are 4-pin. Most boards only like one or the other if they are to throttle the speed up and down- put both kinds and all fans run at 100% all the time and are NOISY.

5. If you have 4GB RAM, you'll want a 64-bit OS to use it all. Otherwise you'll only be able to use ~3.3GB RAM with a 32-bit OS.

Happy building! A nicely done workstation is a wonderful thing to have.

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I have got a thermaltake armor case, its listed as a full tower, so I think it will be big enough. With the cooling, would it be worth getting a water cooling system or stick with heatsink/fan. one other thing, the cpus are listed as active and passive models, does this have something to do with the way they are cooled?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Firstly (I don't know if anyone already mentioned this), you'll need FB-DIMMs for Intel Xeon platforms. These cost a lot and will put a strain on your budget.

one other thing, the cpus are listed as active and passive models, does this have something to do with the way they are cooled?

Yes, passive models use a large heatsink on top of the processor, while active models use a smaller HSF combo. I always prefer the active.

2. Make sure that your case has good airflow as two CPUs throw off twice as much heat as the equivalent single CPU. I'd recommend something with 2 120mm fans or better. Also, make sure airflow inside the case hits the RAM as those FB-DIMMs run hot and need a little airflow.

Isn't there an airduct you can put into your case to guide air over the FBDIMMs and out of the case? It may only apply to server chassis...

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
That board didn't have SLI, it had dual PCI-e x16 slots, but you won't be able to use SLI. Now... don't skimp on a PSU.

Water-cooling? That wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean I don't see why you'd need it but if you wanted to then go right ahead, I've nothing against it.

EDIT: Also, about that mobo, I don't see anything wrong with an ASUS board, I just made a suggestion about a brand that I'm somewhat familiar with. Now, have you looked at anything from Supermicro or Tyan? Both of them have a pretty good selection. I happen to have a Tempest i5000PW (very nice board IMO).

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Ok so no SLI on that, so the iwill would be a better board?

I'm in australia does anyone know of a good place to get xeon boards in aus?

I will look at the other brands now, anything that I need to make sure the board has to support 5300s? ie best chipset

rndkenny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
these are the board i like the look of:

ASUS DSGC-DW
IWILL DPK66
Supermicro X7DAL-E
Tyan Tempest i5000XT or i5000PX