2) EVGA 8800GTX vid
3) 2x1gb TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF
4) E6600 intel cpu
5) WD Raptor 150gb - sata
6) Pioneer dvd rw
7) Artic cooler freezer 7 cpu cooler
8) 700 w psu thermaltake
9) Dell 24" lcd monitor DVI-sub

Ok, so installed all hardware, waved holy water and performed interpretive dance, then on first boot with case open verified that
a) CPU fan is working
b) the vid card fan is working
c) Case fans are working

Thats about as positive as it gets....

No beeps, no video signal, nothing, just the noise of the fans (which is louder than I was hoping for).

I was thinking about taking it apart and starting over and also using a cheapo vid card as a control. But whats concerning me is that I should at least get a post "Beep"?

Anyone have any suggestions? I did some searching through the forums but havent found any suggestions that quite meet my criteria.

Thanks in advance!!!

teething

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I would try clearing the CMOS and rebooting.

Also ensure that your memory and CPU are properly seated.

Zisme

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I recently put together a similar PC. same MOBO. My pC would boot up and then shut down...I called tech support and it was the heat sink not installed properly. Also what is the error code? there should be one on the motherboard. IT will be something like FF. Are you getting the bios to boot up? if so does it ask you to hit F1? if so set the bios to not halt on errors. Where you able to install windows? If anything give evga support a call. they are very good and will be able to help you.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions.

First off the machine is not booting. I cant even get to the bios. Just the sound of whirrling fans but not display at all. I have let it sit for a couple minutes between cycling power. In hindsight, I dont think I hooked up the case speaker, so if it was beeping at me, I didnt know. (still at work so have to try solution hooking up speaker when I get home). So no software has been installed, just trying to get the first boot to work :).

Some other posts have mentioned something about installing 1 stick of memory first? That ring a bell with anyone?

krynn73

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I know how it feels to have $1500+ build not POST-ing one the first try no matter how hard you hope it would... Anyway, many of my personal builds (for family & friends) did not POST on the first attempt with the same symtoms and most (i mean most) POST-ed right away right after I firmly seated RAM sticks. So give it a try. Take out your RAM sticks and push them in firmly until you feel two side clamps 'click' and lock those sticks in.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
hehe. Thanks. I cant even concentrate at work here, I might as well go home after lunch and start at it :)

Its probably something simple like that, just hate that feeling that I got a bad component... but which one could it be?

Will reply again once I have re-seated all components and hooked up the PC speaker.

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
im still having the same problem as you mate, havent sorted it out yet. my new build has been lying around for nearly a week :( i cant seem to get a video signal, so im taking it over to my mates house tomorrow to check if its the Monitor, as my friend has the same components and his first build booted up straight away so he came round to check if the cable were in the right place (which they were) and there was still no video signal :(

anyways keep us updated with your current build. Good Luck! :)

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Ok, apparently the problem was between the chair and the keyboard :oops: .

Let me xplain...

On the motherboard is a little 2 digit LED. When I powered on I saw "- -" (two dashes), so I checked the manual and there was no code for "- -". Some research indicated that the - - means a problem with the CPU! So I started looking down at the CPU area thinking how much its gonna suck to have to RMA the chip and I noticed the freaking 8-pin atx was not connected. 8-pin atx feeds CPU power. *bonk*

Next power up and I get POST to bios. Woot.

Now, I guess I was lucky becase the bios defaults the memory voltages on this board to 1.85v which is WAY under for the ram (supposed to be 2.4v (dominator 800 C3D).

If your really sure you have all power hooked up and everything is seated properly, you may want to stick in a cheap stick of ram that is rated @ 1.85v, just so you can get to the BIOS and up the voltage, then put your memory back in. Apparenly some memory just wont register at low voltage.

Also, check that little LED for the error code. It may point you in the right direction.

Now... to get my memory from 5-5-5-15 2t (what the mobo chose for me) down closer to the advertised speeds!...
Only got 9,800 on pcmark 2006 (running windows vista 64 bit by the way) and I am pretty sure I can smoke that score with some tweaking :)

Cheers.

Zisme

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Nice Good to hear its working....if you want the ram to show up correct you can do it manual or go in and set it to max....I have the same ram cept mine is 4 4 4 4 12....also On 3dmarks06 I scored a 13900....not bad..