X850 XT Fan Control with Vista?

oddfella

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Hi all new here at the forums. I recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit edition. I am currently using the drivers that microsoft automatically installs, not the ones downloaded from ATI as they did not function correctly. Is there any way to control the fan? It does not run and the card is obviously pretty hot (about 70 idle.) The only way that I can check the temp is through catalyst but once I instal catalyst, it does not function properly and I can only start in safe mode. When using XP I always had the fan turned up to max using ATI tray tools. So, does this card normally use no fan unless put under extreme load?

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Go to the ATI site if you have the full release (not a beta or RTM). The new 7.1 ATI drivers have a HUGE boost over the previous ATI beta's and the microsoft drivers.

If you are having trouble with the 7.1 drivers, make sure they are the 64bit vista ones, and then if they are try and use the previous beta drivers to see if they allow the correct control. maybe email ATI asking if they are aware of any problems or fixes for your issue.