AMD's Barcelona to "stink" in ORACLE

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/01/25/amd-quad-core-barcelona-processor-for-oracle-part-iv-and-the-web-20-trolls/

To be fair .... here is a negative view on the power of Barcelona in an Oracle Environment

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/01/25/amd-quad-core-barcelona-processor-for-oracle-part-iv-and-the-web-20-trolls/

To be fair .... here is a negative view on the power of Barcelona in an Oracle Environment

I just replied to that. It looks like the same "AMD can't hit those numbers" crap.

Like I told him, C2D and C2Q in the same mobo shows improvements and everyone says Opteron is not bandwidth saturated so Barcelona will just use more of the existing bandwidth. If they go to HT3, it will have even more bandwidth.

He even suggested that Barcelona is for Socket F rather than Socket F+. His Oracle stuff was interesting up until this.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
i would think that if barcelona was so good they would be showing off some early benches to piss off intel and stem the tide of people buying new systems right now, so they can wait for barcelona.

Good point but if the chips aren't ready/stable enough for benches then how would they get any benches? People are wanting benches for something that is going to be release ~6 months from now. If they were ready now then they would be released in a month or two, not 6.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
we havent even seen any benches from barcelona. IMO it is too early to guess at what its going to be like. I suspect it will flop like 4x4 did. they kept 4x4 all secret up until the release also and it bombed. i would think that if barcelona was so good they would be showing off some early benches to piss off intel and stem the tide of people buying new systems right now, so they can wait for barcelona. but then again what do i know

QFX is not a flop. All of you idiots were actually thinking AMD was trying to compete with C2Q. It wasn't. It was a show of innovation and a way to differentiate FX and X4. The only previous difference was an unlocked multiplier.

How could they expect 4 cores to overpower 4 cores that are clock for clock faster? It still may end up my next upgrade if AMD raises the RAM to 8GB.

Barcelona is a 90% new core. The specs have impressed everyone that saw them. Even more info has come out since the first analysis last year. Who are you?

Barcelona is a BEAST. PERIOD! The only way to beat K8 is to have more available sockets. Itanium goes up to 64 and Power goes to 64. They are the leaders of TPC-C.

I think Barcelona at 16 sockets (64 cores) will actually crack at least the Top 20, maybe even the Top 10. It depends on how good their L3 logic is as that and unganging should make that happen. At the minimum L3 will allow eight 1 hop NUMA nodes rather than the 4 possible now.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well, but i remember the way K7 was introduced.
They leaked some integer benchmarks (on Tom's, where it was presented as "unknown x86 CPU") where it totally sucked, and then, a couple of months later, bam!, it was trouncing the Pentium 3.
Barcelona, unless they have clock problems, will be awesome. (that's my not-so-uneducated guess)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
They leaked some integer benchmarks (on Tom's, where it was presented as "unknown x86 CPU") where it totally sucked, and then, a couple of months later, bam!, it was trouncing the Pentium 3.
Barcelona, unless they have clock problems, will be awesome. (that's my not-so-uneducated guess)

We agree on that. With the dual planes for CPU/IMC, DDR2 should actually be able to run at the rated speeds with default clocks. At least I hope so. That should increase perf for the dual cores.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
This guy is a loser :lol: :lol: :lol: hes already victimizing himself with everyone. :lol: :lol:

I'd hardly say that. If you read through the comments, you'll see the commenter made a math error, called Kevin a moron on another board, only to realize his error. The commenter apologized to Kevin on the message board.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I blog here about Oracle-specific AMD Quad-core Barcelona topics only to discover that I’m being slashed over in some reader board of volunteer agoraphobic geeks who spend eleventeen hours a day tweaking out on Red Bull and Twinkies playing multi-user PC games.
what the hell is a multi-user PC game?

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

Actually it was sept 1999...and firing squad has a ES sample Athlon..the orginal and it sucked... i remember the INTEL faitheful were laughing like drunk hyenas...until release day...and the p3 got crushed....

people forget all about that ...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Actually it was sept 1999...and firing squad has a ES sample Athlon..the orginal and it sucked... i remember the INTEL faitheful were laughing like drunk hyenas...until release day...and the p3 got crushed....

people forget all about that ...

I was hoping you would post in this thread.
:roll:

By releasing a quad core type setup not to long after the introduction of commercially available Core 2 Quad chips, you're saying AMD had absolutely no interest in trying to compete with Intel?

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
By releasing a quad core type setup not to long after the introduction of commercially available Core 2 Quad chips, you're saying AMD had absolutely no interest in trying to compete with Intel?

Yeah, he's(BM) in a complete state of denial agian...convenient, huh? His logic blows like the wind. :roll:

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I think that what the author was pointing out was that Oracle's licensing model was per socket, not per core. The barcelona would have to be more than 100% faster to break even on that licensing model.

The fact that the author doubts that the barcelona can't even make the projected 70% gain is just a side issue.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
It (QFX:edit) still may end up my next upgrade if AMD raises the RAM to 8GB.

Heh... seems that as time goes on you're less and less sure about getting the QFX. I wonder what you're excuse for not wasting your money will be when 8GB of ram is affordable (<$1000).

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
we havent even seen any benches from barcelona. IMO it is too early to guess at what its going to be like. I suspect it will flop like 4x4 did. they kept 4x4 all secret up until the release also and it bombed. i would think that if barcelona was so good they would be showing off some early benches to piss off intel and stem the tide of people buying new systems right now, so they can wait for barcelona. but then again what do i know

QFX is not a flop. All of you idiots were actually thinking AMD was trying to compete with C2Q. It wasn't. It was a show of innovation and a way to differentiate FX and X4. The only previous difference was an unlocked multiplier.

*Boggle* How is QFX innovation? We've had multiprocessor Motherboards for years working together to do multiple things at once. How can you say this is innovative when the technology has been around since the 90s effectively.

How could they expect 4 cores to overpower 4 cores that are clock for clock faster? It still may end up my next upgrade if AMD raises the RAM to 8GB.

When AMD hypes it that it will be C2Q and doesn't even come close in the fast majority of benchmarks, barely beats in only a couple, and everything else runs pretty much dead heat, one has to wonder.

Barcelona is a 90% new core. The specs have impressed everyone that saw them. Even more info has come out since the first analysis last year. Who are you?

Until AMD shows something other than Task Manager, I'm going to wait and see. Right now, AMD isn't showing everyone the best face.

Barcelona is a BEAST. PERIOD! The only way to beat K8 is to have more available sockets. Itanium goes up to 64 and Power goes to 64. They are the leaders of TPC-C.

Come back and say this when you have some benchmarks, until you have benchmarks it's all supposition and I hate supposition. Give me facts or leave you conjecture out of it.

I think Barcelona at 16 sockets (64 cores) will actually crack at least the Top 20, maybe even the Top 10. It depends on how good their L3 logic is as that and unganging should make that happen. At the minimum L3 will allow eight 1 hop NUMA nodes rather than the 4 possible now.

Again, give me Benchmarks and then we can talk. Until AMD finally releases this for people to play with, I'm going to wait and see. Hard numbers will give me a better idea or not and right now, there's nothing out there.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Baron,

For 3 months last year, I argued with the intelliots who were crying "C2D is a BEAST. PERIOD" because they had no factual data to back up thier claims.

You and a few others are now doing the same thing, building on unsubstantiated form AMDs marketeers. The only difference is that last year, you were on the other side of the table, calling the inteliots out when they were making unsubstanciated claims of "60-80% faster", or "2 times faster" or "40% faster". The C2Ds finally made it to market and we now know the truth.

Barcelona isnt jackshit. Barcelona inst going to be jackshit until a retail version is in the hands of a credible individual or organization who can test it fairly and provide results. Then, and only then, it may be proven to be either crap, or the greatest invention since sliced bread.

This situation is shaping up exactly like the pre release of C2D last year. Exactly. He were are in pre ES, and people are making unsubstantiated claims 40%, 3.6 times, 400%...etc. Bullshite. Barcelona does not yet exist out side of prototype silicon and nobody here, you included, knows anything about its true potential. The few AMD engineers or techs who actually do know someing and might possibly read this forum certainly arent going to talk about it, even if they wanted to.

For the love of peace and harmony, lets all just STFU and wait for the news rather than making guesses and fallacious or misguided statements. Lets avoid the same BS that went on last year with C2D, and just wait to see what reality brings, be it good or bad.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

*Boggle* How is QFX innovation? We've had multiprocessor Motherboards for years working together to do multiple things at once. How can you say this is innovative when the technology has been around since the 90s effectively.

When AMD hypes it that it will be C2Q and doesn't even come close in the fast majority of benchmarks, barely beats in only a couple, and everything else runs pretty much dead heat, one has to wonder.

Until AMD shows something other than Task Manager, I'm going to wait and see. Right now, AMD isn't showing everyone the best face.

Come back and say this when you have some benchmarks, until you have benchmarks it's all supposition and I hate supposition. Give me facts or leave you conjecture out of it.

Again, give me Benchmarks and then we can talk. Until AMD finally releases this for people to play with, I'm going to wait and see. Hard numbers will give me a better idea or not and right now, there's nothing out there.

You're just one of those can't be pleased people. I'm no even going to respond as it's the same thing I always see.