ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have a network with three computers on it. Two connected physically (RJ45) to the router, a third connected via wireless. It's a linksys router, with a dlink USB device to connect via the wireless.

I am in a situation where the two physical connections work fine...the wireless appears to as well, but I can't seem to get the internet to work. It acquires an IP address, I can talk to the router, log into it, check the settings etc. But when I try to run internet explorer or firefox it won't load any of the pages. I've tried reseting all portions in various combinations, releasing and renewing both the WAN address on the router and the address on the wireless computer. Tried shutting off all the other computers etc. Nothing. Tried disabling the firewall, disabling any other potential connections. Nothing. And it all seemed to start spontaneously.

Any advice?

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
No, I cannot ping outside the network, it says something like "host not found". If I'm not getting a gateway, how do I solve that problem?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Try doing a reset on the router.

Enter the Gateway and dns manually in to the port. I had one hang. Once I entered it started working then I returned it back to normal and it was working. Just a thought.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I've tried reseting the router numerous times, also tried reseting the DSL modem, try punching in the gateway manually, nothing. Went back to automatic, nothing.

Any other ideas?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I'm running out.

Try disabling the port, wait for 15 sec then enable it?

Are you using MS zero config or Dlink's. Use MS

Delete the Network from the prefered list. Reboot. Then add it back.

It may be a stack problem.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Deleted, rebooted, reinstalled, nothing. Letting windows automatically set it up, been through virtually every setting I can think of, nothing.

It's like it's not querying the wireless when I try to access the internet. If I punch in the router address, the activity light on the d-link flickers, if I punch in an internet address, it doesn't, at least no more than it does when the computer is sitting idle.

I thought about the stacks or winsock as well, I had that problem in the past with another system, but in that case as I recall I couldn't access the router either...though I could be mistaken, it was a long time ago.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts on forcing the internet connection to the wireless? I've disabled all the other network devices, still nothing.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Have you tried pinging via IP? It could very well be a DNS issue. One of google's addresses is 64.233.161.104. Try pinging that.

If you are able to work the local subnet, your stack is fine as well as the wireless card. It has to be either DNS or a routing issue.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If it's a DNS issue. All ISP run there own DNS Servers. It's possiable their servers went off line, but rarely more than a could hrs, reason most have 2.

It's possiable that your router is either not getting it from the ISP or your router is not passing it on to you.

I would recommend doing a power cycle of the modem and router and PC. Then check to see if the router pulled the info from the ISP. If not check your router settings.