Random hard-locks and resets

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I know I have a P4 3.06Ghz with Hyperthreading, but other than that I don't know what core it is or what socket, etc.

My problem is that my system keeps hard-locking or reseting. I know it's a hardware problem because it happens on linux or windows.

I've narrowed down the problem. I tried replacing the memory with a brand-new memory, and the problem still happens. I've also swapped out the network and sound cards and the problem still happens. And I've swapped out hard drives and the problem still happens.

I also tried cleaning off the heatsink and re-applying thermal paste to the CPU. The resets are random. Sometimes it happens within a couple minutes of using the systems, and sometimes it happens after a few hours. The CPU heatsink feels cool, and the motherboard chipset heatsink is cool also.

I have an Abit VT7 motherboard and an Antec TruePower 2.0 power supply and a GeForce 6800GT video card.

At this point I'm thinking that the problem lies in one of these components--either the power supply, the video card, the motherboard, or perhaps the CPU.

I was thinking that I could buy a new motherboard on newegg.com. But I don't know which model would be the best buy that would allow me to use my existing P4 chip but also allow me to upgrade later on to an Intel Core 2 Duo. Any suggestions?

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Replace it with another one of those computers for $2786.85 that you built before. :wink:

Or one of those E6300 based computers you built for your wife 8)

You must have learned SOMETHING doing all that, so I don't know why you pretend to be so confused and naive! 8O

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I'd swap the PSU and/or test it w/ a voltmeter. It could be giving power hiccups, so the voltmeter may or may not show the ups and downs. Maybe your motehrboard has utilities to log voltages.

I had a similar situation like that... ended up replacing the whole system.. except the PSU. Then enlightenment came. It sucked too but in the end we had a 2nd computer. heh.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I know I have a P4 3.06Ghz with Hyperthreading, but other than that I don't know what core it is or what socket, etc.

My problem is that my system keeps hard-locking or reseting. I know it's a hardware problem because it happens on linux or windows.

I've narrowed down the problem. I tried replacing the memory with a brand-new memory, and the problem still happens. I've also swapped out the network and sound cards and the problem still happens. And I've swapped out hard drives and the problem still happens.

I also tried cleaning off the heatsink and re-applying thermal paste to the CPU. The resets are random. Sometimes it happens within a couple minutes of using the systems, and sometimes it happens after a few hours. The CPU heatsink feels cool, and the motherboard chipset heatsink is cool also.

I have an Abit VT7 motherboard and an Antec TruePower 2.0 power supply and a GeForce 6800GT video card.

At this point I'm thinking that the problem lies in one of these components--either the power supply, the video card, the motherboard, or perhaps the CPU.

I was thinking that I could buy a new motherboard on newegg.com. But I don't know which model would be the best buy that would allow me to use my existing P4 chip but also allow me to upgrade later on to an Intel Core 2 Duo. Any suggestions?
I've had that occur with one of my PC's.

The problem dissapeared when I reinstalled the OS and changed a few drivers, notably graphic. I reverted to a slightly older graphic driver, so I guess fault could have been either OS or driver.

I do instal a lot of freeware programs that come loaded with all the other crap. That was probably what had messesed up the OS in the first place.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Wow, you could almost just build a new system :) .... PSU is my guess... What wattage and how many HDs etc?

Jack

agree on the power thing, I have a true power 2 and it comes in a huge variety.
betwen 450W to 650W
<-- has the 550Wattage with 30A variety.
single rail

TRENDING THREADS