Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Toolset locking up on new system

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 6:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Basically I had a P4 1.6 640sdram, XP Pro SP1, Gigabyte MB, ATI 128mb
9600SE and had no toolset problems.

I just upgraded to a P4 3.0 1gb ddram, XP Pro SP2, Gigabyte MB, ATI
128mb 9600SE now the toolset locks up everytime I open it.

The game plays no problems and all other apps run sweet.

Anyoen had this problem and/or have any ideas whats going on or is it
most likely the fact I upgraded to SP2?

SE

More about : toolset locking system

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:22:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

I just uninstalled SP2 and now the toolset is working again so there
must be some incompatability.

SE
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:08:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Sir Elric wrote:
> I just uninstalled SP2 and now the toolset is working again so there
> must be some incompatability.
>
> SE
>

Well thanks for mentioning it, because I'm still holding off on
installing SP2, and now there's an even bigger reason apparently! :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:23:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

i've got Sp2 installed since day 1 the big network d/l was released. No
issues with NWN or anything for that matter.

....Syn...
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:48:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:
> Sir Elric wrote:
> > I just uninstalled SP2 and now the toolset is working again so there
> > must be some incompatability.
>
> Well thanks for mentioning it, because I'm still holding off on
> installing SP2, and now there's an even bigger reason apparently! :) 

Sir Elric is running Pro and I'm running Home, but SP2 is working fine
here. It may be XP Pro vs XP Home, but it may also be the junction of
SP2, the Toolset, & some 3rd item (ex. a specific driver version) that
is causing him a problem and not me.

- W. Citoan
--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to
say it.
-- Voltaire
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:14:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

I ended up installing SP1 again and toolset is now working as it
should.

I also have friends who use SP2 and seem to not have this problem so it
must have to do with components too.

I found a thread on the BW forums where someone had the exact same
probelm as me and their system was almost identical to mine >
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=3865...

Also in a bid to rule out the ATI drivers I tried the latest 4.12
drivers and they won't play with SP1 at all so had to revert back to
4.11

Hans what version drivers are you using out of interest?

SE
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:

>> I just uninstalled SP2 and now the toolset is working again so there
>> must be some incompatability.
>>
>> SE
>>
>
> Well thanks for mentioning it, because I'm still holding off on
> installing SP2, and now there's an even bigger reason apparently! :) 

I "upgraded" from W2k to XP MCE SP2 two weeks ago. NWN and toolset work without any trouble; it wasn't even necessary to reinstall
them. It will mostly depend on the graphic and sound card and their drivers if an OS change works, in my case (Radeon 9600 XT and an
elder SB Live!) I could install from the same driver package I already used for W2k.

Hans
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Sir Elric wrote:
> I ended up installing SP1 again and toolset is now working as it
> should.
>
> I also have friends who use SP2 and seem to not have this problem so
> it must have to do with components too.
>
> I found a thread on the BW forums where someone had the exact same
> probelm as me and their system was almost identical to mine >
> http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=3865...
>
> Also in a bid to rule out the ATI drivers I tried the latest 4.12
> drivers and they won't play with SP1 at all so had to revert back to
> 4.11
>
> Hans what version drivers are you using out of interest?

Because the graphics card is manufactured by ASUS, I picked the drivers from their website. Unfortunately, they use other version
numbers for the packages than ATI does, but comparing the internal version numbers of the files with original ATI drivers tells me
it must be the 4.11 edition.

Hans
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:29:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Ok here's the final installment in the new pc saga (I hope).

A friend installed my 128mb 9600SE Radeon on his system with the same
drivers I was using and the toolset runs fine.
I installed his Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800SE 128mb and the toolset runs
fine.
So it seems it's simple a compatibility issue with that Radeon card and
this Gigabyte MB or some such thing.

So I now have XP Pro fully updated to SP2 and every known update known
to man, after a nasty virus I copped during my testing process with no
AV or updates I literally copped it in the back door with the Backdoor
virus a very nasty one that is impossible to remove!

Take my advice regarding this virus and update everything now!!
This sneaky git snuck in through a hole in explorer
Anyways I'm back in business and it wasn't SP2 afterall.

SE
!