Ok, Got HD, now I have to set it all up

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 16, 2004 6:39:16 PM

Hi all....
A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems worked out
now.
The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great. But that
is the only thing
hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm not sure
how.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Components that are currently installed:
HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV

I want to hook up my:
dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my audio
receiver (for surround sound)
I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.

My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.

Thanks!
jojo

More about : set

June 16, 2004 7:22:50 PM

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o YYzc.6292$7H3.635@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi all....
> A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems worked out
> now.
> The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great. But that
> is the only thing
> hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm not
sure
> how.
>
> Can anyone help me out with this?
>
> Components that are currently installed:
> HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
> Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV
>
> I want to hook up my:
> dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my audio
> receiver (for surround sound)
> I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.
>
> My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.
>
> Thanks!
> jojo

I've been doing some reading and I don't think my a/v receiver has an
optical input.
I think it is all component cables.
June 16, 2004 10:20:43 PM

I would be surprised if any Dolby Digital AV receiver out there today didn't
have both optical inputs and PCM inputs. I've noticed that the newer DVD
players are getting away from the optical interface and going with the PCM
only (single RCA style) connection for digital audio.

If your AV receiver supports Dolby Digital signals, it has to have either
optical, PCM or coax method of inputting a digital signal

> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o YYzc.6292$7H3.635@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> > Hi all....
> > A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems worked
out
> > now.
> > The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great. But
that
> > is the only thing
> > hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm not
> sure
> > how.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out with this?
> >
> > Components that are currently installed:
> > HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
> > Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV
> >
> > I want to hook up my:
> > dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my audio
> > receiver (for surround sound)
> > I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.
> >
> > My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > jojo
> >

> I've been doing some reading and I don't think my a/v receiver has an
> optical input.
> I think it is all component cables.

June 16, 2004 10:28:37 PM

jojo wrote:
> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o YYzc.6292$7H3.635@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
>> Hi all....
>> A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems
>> worked out now.
>> The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great.
>> But that is the only thing
>> hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm
>> not sure how.
>>
>> Can anyone help me out with this?
>>
>> Components that are currently installed:
>> HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
>> Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV
>>
>> I want to hook up my:
>> dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my
>> audio receiver (for surround sound)
>> I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.
>>
>> My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> jojo
>>

> I've been doing some reading and I don't think my a/v receiver has an
> optical input.
> I think it is all component cables.

You're confusing audio with video. Component cables are for video.
Optical and digital coax cables are for digital audio.

If your receiver does Dolby Digital, then it has one of those
connections and more likely at least one of each or more.

If you're receiver has component video inputs and can do component
switching, you can hook everythig up through the receiver. There are a
million ways to hook things up. This set up assumes that your receiver
has at least two HD compatible component inputs and one output and
supports dolby digital using at least two digital audio inputs (coax or
optical - but these need to match your equipment - DVD and HD STB). If
you don't meet these requirements, then ignore the post. it would
cetainly help to know what models you have and what is supported... but
here it goes:

This requires the receiver be used for audio and video.

Hook the HD Receiver and DVD player video to the receiver via component
inputs (your receiver needs two of them)
Hook the HD STB digital audio (either coax or optical) to the receiver.
Hook the DVD digital audio (either coax or optical) to the receiver.
Hook the component output from the receiver to the TV.
Hook the s-video or composite video output from the receiver to the tv
in case your receiver does not do component upconversion from composite
sources.
Hook the VCR to the receiver (both analog audio and video - either
composite or s-vhs).
If you want to be able to record to the VCR, hook up two audio outputs
and composite video from the receiver to the VCR (your receiver should
have inputs and outputs for VCR)
Hook the Silver Sensor up to the DirecTV HD STB, not the TV and have the
local programming integrated into the guide.

Use the receiver to switch between source components. You may need to
associate the digital audio inputs with the corresponding source
components. Read you manual to do this.

--
David G.
Anonymous

How about telling us exactly what equipment you have altogether?

Doug

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o YYzc.6292$7H3.635@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi all....
> A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems worked out
> now.
> The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great. But that
> is the only thing
> hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm not
sure
> how.
>
> Can anyone help me out with this?
>
> Components that are currently installed:
> HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
> Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV
>
> I want to hook up my:
> dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my audio
> receiver (for surround sound)
> I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.
>
> My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.
>
> Thanks!
> jojo

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:45:18 AM

JOJO; do like the rest of us and sit down with the manuals and start
reading. It took me the better part of an afternoon of trial and error to
get mine set up like I wanted it, and weeks later I was still messing with
it to get it optimized. There is no way we can tell you how to set up your
system on this newsgroup.

JK

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o YYzc.6292$7H3.635@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> > Hi all....
> > A few of you have been helpful in my HD woes, but it all seems worked
out
> > now.
> > The installer got the new HD receiver working and it looks great. But
that
> > is the only thing
> > hooked up. I have a plethora of other equipment to hook up, but I'm not
> sure
> > how.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out with this?
> >
> > Components that are currently installed:
> > HD Satellite receiver hooked to TV
> > Zenith silver sensor hooked to TV
> >
> > I want to hook up my:
> > dvd player & vcr and I want the audio for both to run through my audio
> > receiver (for surround sound)
> > I would like the TV audio to run through the audio receiver too.
> >
> > My TV is a 57S700 Hitachi.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > jojo
> >

> I've been doing some reading and I don't think my a/v receiver has an
> optical input.
> I think it is all component cables.

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 5:41:52 PM

So, if one has a receiver with component OUTS, but without Component
Upconversion, then hooking an S-Video from a VCR to a receiver, then a
component cable from there to the monitor would be pointless?

My system:
Harman Kardon AVR-630 Receiver
JVC S-vhs VCR (w/S-Video outs)
Sony 34hs510 DV CRT HDTV monitor

I just bought the TV, and hooked component cables from the DVD to the
receiver, then another set of components from the receiver to the
monitor. I don't think my receiver does upconversion, so there would
be no point in EITHER my DVD player or VCR using the component monitor
outs on the receiver right? Would it be better to just hook the DVD
directly to the monitor, and not use Component at all for the VCR?

Thanks for anyone's help?

-Paul
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:50:28 AM

ComedyBoyDC wrote:
> So, if one has a receiver with component OUTS, but without Component
> Upconversion, then hooking an S-Video from a VCR to a receiver, then a
> component cable from there to the monitor would be pointless?
>
> My system:
> Harman Kardon AVR-630 Receiver
> JVC S-vhs VCR (w/S-Video outs)
> Sony 34hs510 DV CRT HDTV monitor
>
> I just bought the TV, and hooked component cables from the DVD to the
> receiver, then another set of components from the receiver to the
> monitor. I don't think my receiver does upconversion, so there would
> be no point in EITHER my DVD player or VCR using the component monitor
> outs on the receiver right? Would it be better to just hook the DVD
> directly to the monitor, and not use Component at all for the VCR?
>
> Thanks for anyone's help?
>
> -Paul

If your receiver does not do component upconversion (the 630 does) and
you have both component sources and composite sources (S-video or
composite video), then you need to run two sets of video cables to the
TV: component and composite. No big deal, really. It just requires that
you not only switch sources from the receiver, but also switch inputs on
the TV. This can be easily managed from any universal remote that has
macro programming.

I just checked and the 630 does component upconversion, so you only need
one video cable from receiver to TV.

--
David G.
!