Copying to disk problem

I am trying to back up to cd multiple files which I have successfully done in
the past. I am getting an error message "windows has encountered a problem
and cannot copy file" then lists it and I have the option of retrying etc.
Why am I getting this error.

Can you also tell me why I cannot schedule a backup onto my cd drive. It
tells me I do not have access and/or file path is invalid.

Jeannie

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

I am having a similar problem.

I just got a new hard drive and XP SP2 installed.

I am getting frustrated through because I want to back up my registry and it
took me a while to find how to get the backup utility. I got that all set
and when I try to back up I am getting the same error message as you...." The
backup file name could not be used." "Please ensure that it is a valid path
and that you have sufficient access."
The Backup destination box is grayed out for me.
I assume I have administrator access since I am logged in as one. I am
wondering if when XP was installed in my system my access is limited or
something? I am the only user and it says administrator so I wonder what I
am missing?

"Dayle" wrote:

> I am trying to back up to cd multiple files which I have successfully done in
> the past. I am getting an error message "windows has encountered a problem
> and cannot copy file" then lists it and I have the option of retrying etc.
> Why am I getting this error.
>
> Can you also tell me why I cannot schedule a backup onto my cd drive. It
> tells me I do not have access and/or file path is invalid.

If you have XP HOME, the backup utility doesn't back up the registry. You
will have to have XP Pro for that.

Dayle wrote:
> I am trying to back up to cd multiple files which I have successfully done in
> the past. I am getting an error message "windows has encountered a problem
> and cannot copy file" then lists it and I have the option of retrying etc.
> Why am I getting this error.
>
> Can you also tell me why I cannot schedule a backup onto my cd drive. It
> tells me I do not have access and/or file path is invalid.
XP will not burn directly to the CD. You have to backup to a file and
then burn that file to the CD. If you want to burn directly to the CD
you will need third party software. Something like Nero or CD creator.

gls858

System Restore backs up the registry. Set a restore point from Start>All
Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.