Sign in with
Your question

AMD Opteron 2200-series Works in Quad FX Motherboards

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2007 8:04:49 PM

Quote from the article :
Quote:

AMD insider and occasional DailyTech writer Dave Graham posted images of an AMD Opteron 2218 processor running on an ASUS L1N64-SLI motherboard. This is intriguing as the ASUS L1N64-SLI is a motherboard designed for AMD’s Quad FX enthusiast platform. The motherboard BIOS detects the processor correctly and functions properly.

Rest of the article - DaylyTech

This probably means cheaper Quadfather! and probably earlier K8L for quadfathers ... :lol:  ... interesting ...
February 2, 2007 8:09:57 PM

Too bad socket F opterons don't have better price performance ratios.
February 2, 2007 9:53:17 PM

Quote:

By the article, it looks like the Opty 2210 is around $200, not a bad price/performance if you OC it to ~2.8G., so you can have a 'quad' for only $400, that's not bad, not at all, especially considering the high K8L promises, the Opty 2210 setup could be a good intro ... the only problem remains power consumption :?
Related resources
February 2, 2007 10:03:26 PM

Quote:

By the article, it looks like the Opty 2210 is around $200, not a bad price/performance if you OC it to ~2.8G., so you can have a 'quad' for only $400, that's not bad, not at all, especially considering the high K8L promises, the Opty 2210 setup could be a good intro ... the only problem remains power consumption :?
Unfortunately the article is wrong an Opti 2218 is 600$ on Newegg.

But there's something else that I'm curious about right now, and that is if an FX 70 can work with ECC memory and if there are any motherboards that recognize it ???
February 2, 2007 10:05:48 PM

Quote:
Quote from the article :

AMD insider and occasional DailyTech writer Dave Graham posted images of an AMD Opteron 2218 processor running on an ASUS L1N64-SLI motherboard. This is intriguing as the ASUS L1N64-SLI is a motherboard designed for AMD’s Quad FX enthusiast platform. The motherboard BIOS detects the processor correctly and functions properly.

Rest of the article - DaylyTech

This probably means cheaper Quadfather! and probably earlier K8L for quadfathers ... :lol:  ... interesting ...

So I guess this means people now have their cheaper procs for QFX and can stop talking about how much they cost.

Power requirements just fell tremendously too while OCability went up (relatively).
February 2, 2007 11:55:03 PM

Quote:

But there's something else that I'm curious about right now, and that is if an FX 70 can work with ECC memory and if there are any motherboards that recognize it ???

Thats where I was looking...
a c 99 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2007 1:58:35 AM

What I really want to know is if you can use the FX-70 series CPUs in a regular dual socket 1207 Opteron motherboard, such as those made by Tyan. That would be ideal as the FX-70 series are much less expensive than the comparable Opteron 2200 CPU and the dual Opteron boards start at less than the ASUS QuadFX board does.
February 3, 2007 7:32:27 AM

Quote:

was talking about Opty 2210, not 2218.
February 3, 2007 10:30:27 AM

Quote:

was talking about Opty 2210, not 2218.
Yes, sorry, my mistake :oops:  , an opti 2210 is 199$ at 1.8GHz. I was looking at 2218 as I was trying to compare price/perf at the same clk.
February 3, 2007 11:24:37 AM

And that's pretty reasonable; you don't get something to beat Intel's QX or QE but for $400 of CPUs you can get well past a XE6800 level with the opties @ ~2.6G. Power consumption apart, it's a pretty competitive price/performance at this level.
February 3, 2007 2:03:49 PM

It's that damn expensive motherboard, eesh.
February 3, 2007 2:43:26 PM

Quote:

Word.
February 3, 2007 5:34:11 PM

I'm just wondering, does anyone know of any more "budget" oriented Quad FX board being developed/coming to market?
February 3, 2007 5:46:29 PM

Quote:

Word.
How much,.. $100, $200, still add them to the CPU price; it goes $600,.....still a decent price for the performance.
!