CD-RW problems under XP SP1

A PC at my workplace has a CD drive, that when a CD-
Rewritable CD is placed in the drive, the drive cannot be
reopened, unless the PC is rebooted, and I open the drive
within the boot time.

It only occurs with CD-Rewritables, all the ones I have
at work cause this problem, whether they are blank, or
have files on. Occasionally I will put one in and this
problem won't happen.... I do not know why though. The
CD is not being read at the time when I try to remove the
CD.

The employee that works on this PC is notorious for
having a lot of spyware on her machine, however i ran ad-
aware and removed all instances of everything (that ad-
aware picked up)... could a malicious program be causing
this?
6 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Have you talked to the system administrator about something he may have done
    to prevent burning cd's?

    "Thomas Higgins" <thomas.higgins@medeserv.com.au> wrote in message
    >A PC at my workplace has a CD drive, that when a CD-
    > Rewritable CD is placed in the drive, the drive cannot be
    > reopened, unless the PC is rebooted, and I open the drive
    > within the boot time.
    >
    > It only occurs with CD-Rewritables, all the ones I have
    > at work cause this problem, whether they are blank, or
    > have files on. Occasionally I will put one in and this
    > problem won't happen.... I do not know why though. The
    > CD is not being read at the time when I try to remove the
    > CD.
    >
    > The employee that works on this PC is notorious for
    > having a lot of spyware on her machine, however i ran ad-
    > aware and removed all instances of everything (that ad-
    > aware picked up)... could a malicious program be causing
    > this?

    The system administrator has placed no restrictions on
    the burning of CDs and as I said, this problem only
    occurs with CD-REWRITABLES. The user can burn normal CDs
    perfectly. This problem has only started to happen
    recently on this computer, the user has always used her
    CD-RWs to get info to and from the workplace.

    I am tech support by the way, and have administrative
    privileges.

    I shall reiterate, this ONLY occurs for CD-RWs. When one
    is placed in the drive, the drive will NOT open again...
    even when you right click and choose "eject" from within
    My Computer.

    EZ CD Creator used to have a function that locked the drive to prevent
    removing a disk in a state where it would be rendered unreadable. Seems to
    me there was a setting somewhere that showed a pop-up when you tried to
    eject the disk, otherwise you had to remember to unlock it.

    I don't use that program any more, so I'm not sure what current versions do,
    but there may be a similar function. Or some other CD writing program you
    have might be doing something similar.

    And it only acted that way with the RW disks, not the writeables.

    It's not exactly an answer, but it may give you a place to start looking.

    I think you are right, she does have easy CD creator on
    her computer. Thanks!

    Are all the cdrw discs the same brand?

    > The system administrator has placed no restrictions on
    > the burning of CDs and as I said, this problem only
    > occurs with CD-REWRITABLES. The user can burn normal CDs
    > perfectly. This problem has only started to happen
    > recently on this computer, the user has always used her
    > CD-RWs to get info to and from the workplace.
    >
    > I am tech support by the way, and have administrative
    > privileges.
    >
    > I shall reiterate, this ONLY occurs for CD-RWs. When one
    > is placed in the drive, the drive will NOT open again...
    > even when you right click and choose "eject" from within
    > My Computer.

    Hmm, then remove the drive from the Device Manager, and restart the PC; see
    if that helps.

CD-Rom Windows XP