What's going on when select HD channels are out?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 17, 2004 2:55:25 AM

I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD Showtime,
HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.

Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at all.
I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are trained
to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
the other HD channels are fine.

Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
switching to satellite.

More about : select channels

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:55:26 AM

all channels are not created equally...good chance there's noise somewhere
in your lines, or the signal is too strong or not strong enough coming into
your house...do you have splitters and many tvs? if so, try undoing all the
splits and sending a clean line to the hd and see if they come in

"Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message

> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at
all.
> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
> should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
> of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are
trained
> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
> send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
> the other HD channels are fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:55:26 AM

My personal experience diagnosing an identical problem for a client
revealed that the digital signals coming into his residence were *all*
marginally low, in spite of otherwise mostly good signals on his analog
channels. Actually this problem is not really all that unusual since the
digital portion of the Cable TV spectrum is on the uppermost band of
frequencies and those are the exact channels which suffer the most
attenuation loss through the drop cable (the coax coming to the residence
from the pole or underground pedestal).

In spite of his low signal levels on the digital portion, most of his
digital channels still worked fine, but like you, 2 or 3 of them didn't
work and one was intermittently pixelated.

The cable co. (Time Warner) refused to come out and help him unless he
agreed to a $49.95 service charge. You see, around here TWC normally
charges $49.95 for digital service installation, but will waive that
charge if you want to attempt a self-install (which he did, against my
advice).

Had the cable co. done the install likely they would have noticed the
problem and corrected it. Since I have done some work for TWC I knew who
to call on the inside, bypassing the teledroid, and reported the problem.
The following day they fixed the problem - no charge - because it was
indeed their problem, although they would have otherwise NOT done so just
on the basis of a service complaint from a subscriber who did a self-
install and was unwilling to pay for a service call.

Go figure.

--
Help Support Satellite Radio!
Your local radio broadcasters through their powerful NAB lobbyiests

I'm also with Charter (Gwinnett County, GA) and just got this tonight on all
HD channels; all analog and non-HD digital channels are fine. First problem
I've had in about 3 months of Charter HD service.

"Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message

> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at
all.
> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
> should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
> of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are
trained
> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
> send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
> the other HD channels are fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:43:58 PM

Rich:

I had a problem on Time Warner cable 4 months ago where

two of 7 HD cable channels were 'out'... had an All white tube on

the 2 HD 'no get' channels. Other HD stations looked fine on Sony
34HS510.

Problem was a weak signal in home... but my 2 gold splitters and

a RG59 cable segment were the biggest killers....

Time Warner checked out the HD signal strength at 3 in home

locations... via their Technician portable box....

and confirmed a -34db (very low signal) at set... After house &

outdoor RG6 rewire with a 3 way basement splitter in basement....

My HD 3 way signal is now: +10db, +7db, & +7db.....

Note: A 3 way splitter always has 1 better leg...

that goes to the HD box... 7db & 7db go to

the analog Picture in picture & a bedroom TV set.

Generally for good HD you need a +1db or better signal strength

reading from the Technicians portable box ....

A techs HD signal strength reading my define your problem &
source...

Rich wrote:

> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at all.
> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
> should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
> of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are trained
> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
> send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
> the other HD channels are fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:28:15 PM

Rich <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<Xns950AC081FB6E4richnospamnet@216.168.3.44>...
> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.

You should switch to satellite in any case.
June 17, 2004 5:34:16 PM

Small world. I'm also in Gwinnett County and, as of yesterday, am
also experiencing total HD outage. I figured it was a temporary fluke,
which is why I posted my more common experience with one or two channels
out and the others perfect. Other digital channels are still working
and internet traffic is fine.

I called Charter this morning to report the problem and they were not
aware of anything wrong. Typical. With you having an identical
experience I'm convinced it isn't isolated to me. As an experiment I
bypassed the one split that occurs where the signal comes into the house
and saw no improvement.

"Jeff Henkels" <jeff@mapson.privatemail.com> wrote in

> I'm also with Charter (Gwinnett County, GA) and just got this tonight
> on all HD channels; all analog and non-HD digital channels are fine.
> First problem I've had in about 3 months of Charter HD service.
>
> "Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
> Showtime,
>> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>>
>> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in
>> at
> all.
>> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This
>> channel should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do
>> subscribe to all of the channels. Calls to customer support are
>> useless. They are
> trained
>> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the
>> issue, send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my
>> setup because the other HD channels are fine.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels
>> not to come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and
>> considering switching to satellite.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:03:24 PM

Well, when I got home about 90 minutes ago, all the HD channels were working
again, so Charter did something during the day.

> Small world. I'm also in Gwinnett County and, as of yesterday, am
> also experiencing total HD outage. I figured it was a temporary fluke,
> which is why I posted my more common experience with one or two channels
> out and the others perfect. Other digital channels are still working
> and internet traffic is fine.
>
> I called Charter this morning to report the problem and they were not
> aware of anything wrong. Typical. With you having an identical
> experience I'm convinced it isn't isolated to me. As an experiment I
> bypassed the one split that occurs where the signal comes into the house
> and saw no improvement.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:03:25 PM

Jeff Henkels wrote:

> Well, when I got home about 90 minutes ago, all the HD channels were working
> again, so Charter did something during the day.

Jeff H.:

I had that off & on HD problem with Time Warner and my 'house cabling'

was BAD... as mentioned in old post... Bad, bad -34 db HD signal

for the Sony 34HS510.... HD Off = white screen.. On = pixelated

picture.... I hope your problem was with the HDTV provider....

My problem was NOT... That Sony firm ware made a Picture out of

a junk HD signal... 1/2 the time........

THe higher the Cable signal frequency, the better chance for a
white

HDTV screen.

> "Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Small world. I'm also in Gwinnett County and, as of yesterday, am
> > also experiencing total HD outage. I figured it was a temporary fluke,
> > which is why I posted my more common experience with one or two channels
> > out and the others perfect. Other digital channels are still working
> > and internet traffic is fine.
> >
> > I called Charter this morning to report the problem and they were not
> > aware of anything wrong. Typical. With you having an identical
> > experience I'm convinced it isn't isolated to me. As an experiment I
> > bypassed the one split that occurs where the signal comes into the house
> > and saw no improvement.

June 18, 2004 2:15:28 AM

All HD channels are back now. Life is good.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:47:47 AM

Same thing happened with me for cablevision of the Bronx for CBS HD. I
notice at night like after 11.00pm my time it will not come in on the
specified HD channel for CBS. So far I have not complained yet about this .
{{RDS}}
"Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Small world. I'm also in Gwinnett County and, as of yesterday, am
> also experiencing total HD outage. I figured it was a temporary fluke,
> which is why I posted my more common experience with one or two channels
> out and the others perfect. Other digital channels are still working
> and internet traffic is fine.
>
> I called Charter this morning to report the problem and they were not
> aware of anything wrong. Typical. With you having an identical
> experience I'm convinced it isn't isolated to me. As an experiment I
> bypassed the one split that occurs where the signal comes into the house
> and saw no improvement.
>

> "Jeff Henkels" <jeff@mapson.privatemail.com> wrote in
>
> > I'm also with Charter (Gwinnett County, GA) and just got this tonight
> > on all HD channels; all analog and non-HD digital channels are fine.
> > First problem I've had in about 3 months of Charter HD service.
> >
> > "Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
> > Showtime,
> >> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
> >>
> >> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in
> >> at
> > all.
> >> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This
> >> channel should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do
> >> subscribe to all of the channels. Calls to customer support are
> >> useless. They are
> > trained
> >> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the
> >> issue, send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my
> >> setup because the other HD channels are fine.
> >>
> >> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels
> >> not to come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and
> >> considering switching to satellite.

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:12:06 PM

I've got Comcast HD, And it is clear they are having trouble with their HD
boxes.
They have been trying to retool the systems doing HDTV on their boxes. They
sent me a "message" saying my HD would be out for a day or two while they
did that. (No refund of course.)

For example some of their problems: (I learned English at a public school) I
subbed to Showtime HD and I got HBO HD as well. (The SD HBO channels didn't
work.) Also I don;t have access to the HD PPV channels. You would think
they'd want THAT working.

"Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote in message

> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at
all.
> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
> should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
> of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are
trained
> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
> send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
> the other HD channels are fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:59:09 AM

"Rich" <rich@nospam.net> wrote
> I have cable service (Charter Communications) that includes in HD
Showtime,
> HBO, ESPN, NBC, FOX and HDNet and HDNet Movies.
>
> Most of those channels are crystal clear, but several never come in at
all.
> I only get a blank screen with the message "One Moment Please This channel
> should be available shortly"... it never goes away. I do subscribe to all
> of the channels. Calls to customer support are useless. They are
trained
> to send a signal to the cable box and, if that doesn't resolve the issue,
> send out a technician. It obviously isn't a problem with my setup because
> the other HD channels are fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of what might be going on to cause certain channels not to
> come in? I'm really frustrated with Charter over this and considering
> switching to satellite.

Probably a broadcast "rights" issue. Happens all the time. There's a
baseball game or something on that conflicts with rights in your area.
Happens all the time here with the Atlanta Braves, etc.
May 24, 2009 3:52:22 PM

I had the same issue with select channels not coming in. The channel information bar from the cable company would tell me that I'm on the channel, but as that faded away I had just a blank screen. In fact if you didn't know that the TV was actually on, you would swear that it wasn't.

Even though I too had a weak signal coming out my cable box, it turns out that the real problem was a 3 inch long by 1 in diameter "block" that was placed on the line by the cable company. Once that block was removed, all was fixed. It took the tech all of 5 minutes to correct, if it was even that.
!