Higher Performance Quality Router - Suggestions?

m3370

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I currently have a Netgear FVS318v3 (business class product). I am very happy it as it is very stable, rugged, secure, and has extensive configuration options.

My problem is that my cable ISP just upgraded standard service from 5Mbps/512kbps to 10Mbps/1Mbps. I ran some speed tests and here are the results:

#s in [] brackets are *without* the FVS318v3 connected

Downstream: 7.72 Mbps [9.84 Mbps]
Upstream: 985 kbps [984 kbps]
QoS: 77% [99%]
RTT: 47ms [20ms]
Max Pause: 36ms [12ms]

I am looking for a router (preferably a Netgear) that can handle this upgraded speed, in addition to speeds as high as around 30-50 Mbps downstream and 5-10 Mbps upstream (for possibly use with FIOS-like services in the future). I am not interested in a PC-based router, and do *not* want a router with built-in wireless.

Any suggestions? I'm especially curious on real-world measured max speeds (WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN) along with any thorny firmware issues. Netgear "advertises" max speeds, but obviously they may not be fully accurate as this product is supposed to handle up to 11.5 Mbps WAN<-->LAN and doesn't.

Thanks!

Mike

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You just need to move up to the FVS338, i'm using this one.

It has a rating of 92mbps, so it will cover your needs. Plus you get a VPN Clint software. It also has features like QoS. If you are using VPN you will like this one. It allows direct connect to the router so you have full access of your network.

They are in the process of releasing some new firmware. The new v2.0 firmware is realy nice. The VPN Wizzard worked the first time.

m3370

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for your reply... can you personally vouch for the WAN to LAN (and vise-versa speed) that you have personally measured through the FVS338? I just want to be sure the product will meet my needs.

Thanks!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
My ISP connection speed is not as high as your currently. I have only a 5/2 mbps FIOS service. All my test show it is. But I don't have access to the hardware that THG uses. I also have the FVS328 model. The 338 is definately faster.

I do not know the actual release data of the v2 firmware. I have been on it for a couple of months now. I was/am a beta tester for them. I had 2 broadband connections for a month so testing was easy. This firmware is faster than the 1.6 that ship with it. If you use VPN you will enjoy the speed the xscale cpu handles the 3DES. But your 318 only supported passthrough.