Please, a N00b needs help upgrading to 2gb

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Ok, I think that there is a problem with my 1gb of ram right now (when system is idle and no background apps are running, I hit like 47% usage. So I want to upgrade my ram to 2gb.

First things first,

I have an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard which the website says it only supports DDR550.

Does this mean that I cant even use DDR600/677 ram etc, or can I use it, but it wont be as fast?

Thanks.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok, I think that there is a problem with my 1gb of ram right now (when system is idle and no background apps are running, I hit like 47% usage. So I want to upgrade my ram to 2gb.

First things first,

I have an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard which the website says it only supports DDR550.

Does this mean that I cant even use DDR600/677 ram etc, or can I use it, but it wont be as fast?

Thanks.
When you say 47% at idle, i think you're talking about CPU usage. The amount of RAM you have isn't going to change that. Something is running in the background(using CPU cycles), like spyware, virus, or some other rogue application. Do some virus/spyware scans, and find out what's making your processor work, when it shouldn't be. 1GB of RAM is sufficient under most circumstances. As far as RAM compatability, DDR667 is DDR2, and can't be used in your motherboard. GL :)

TRENDING THREADS