is there a way I can get a site to send UDP packets to me??

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
My router isn't working, and it seems that it's not recieving UDP packets. I just got off the phone after a 50 minute convo w/tech support for it, trying a multitude of options, and it seemed the UDP packets were still being dropped.

I was wondering if there was some way I could monitor udp packets that are recieved by my computer, as well as UDP packets that my computer cannot recieve...

Darth_Indy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
You can do this on a local net, but I don't think UDP packets can be sent from a site on the internet in lieu of TCP unless you can control the communications link on both ends (if I'm reading your question correctly).

I copied this answer from elsewhere on the net... but it's a great answer about UDP.

UDP (User Datagram Protocol) is a communications protocol that offers a limited amount of service when messages are exchanged between computers in a network that uses the Internet Protocol (IP). UDP is an alternative to the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and, together with IP, is sometimes referred to as UDP/IP. Like the Transmission Control Protocol, UDP uses the Internet Protocol to actually get a data unit (called a datagram) from one computer to another. Unlike TCP, however, UDP does not provide the service of dividing a message into packets (datagrams) and reassembling it at the other end. Specifically, UDP doesn't provide sequencing of the packets that the data arrives in. This means that the application program that uses UDP must be able to make sure that the entire message has arrived and is in the right order. Network applications that want to save processing time because they have very small data units to exchange (and therefore very little message reassembling to do) may prefer UDP to TCP. The Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) uses UDP instead of TCP.
UDP provides two services not provided by the IP layer. It provides port numbers to help distinguish different user requests and, optionally, a checksum capability to verify that the data arrived intact.

In the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) communication model, UDP, like TCP, is in layer 4, the Transport Layer.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Wireshark will tell you what you are actually recieving from your router to your PC. I'd need info as to what router you're using to tell you what to use at the router's incoming connection. Then you have the issue of your ISP, their firewalls, various NAT's etc.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've already done much of what you've suggested in terms of checking with my router. I've also contacted the support staff for both the game AND the router to no avail. I'm almost convinced that there's something wrong with those ports, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Why would some ports work and others not?