reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Okay, i know this is not the forum for this, but i respect the advice of my toms hardware brothers. I met a guy in passing who had a modded playstation that could surf the internet, it had a 120gb hard drive that copied and played games, and it can play divx(my format of choice), and i think he siad it runs windows 2000. Ive been googling all night, and i cant find info about using a internet borowser of running windows, however there is a load of web pages with playstations 2's running linux. I need your help, im really stoked for the project to help me deal with me impending divorce.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Okay, i know this is not the forum for this, but i respect the advice of my toms hardware brothers. I met a guy in passing who had a modded playstation that could surf the internet, it had a 120gb hard drive that copied and played games, and it can play divx(my format of choice), and i think he siad it runs windows 2000. Ive been googling all night, and i cant find info about using a internet borowser of running windows, however there is a load of web pages with playstations 2's running linux. I need your help, im really stoked for the project to help me deal with me impending divorce.
Sorry, never had a playstation.

This is the wrong forum :x Try the game forum :)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I dont think a stock PS2 can run windows, the cpu it uses (The "Emotion Engine") is a cpu/gpu hybrid, so im not sure its even an x86 based processor. If he was running windows on a ps2 i bet he hacked the crap out of it and just put a microatx pc into the case.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I haven't seen much about ps2 modding... I was big on xbox, replaced my cpu from the stock 700 mhz for a 1.4 ghz chip... then filled in those empty ram spots and got it up to 128 MBs

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I haven't seen much about ps2 modding... I was big on xbox, replaced my cpu from the stock 700 mhz for a 1.4 ghz chip... then filled in those empty ram spots and got it up to 128 MBs

You can replace an Xbox's cpu?! *Buys xbox off ebay* Thats awesome, id say just being able to do that is worth it for my to buy another one (I ha dan xbox, but then i lost it, now i have a 360).

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Sweet, maybe I should use xbox as my project.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Sorry, never had a playstation.

This is the wrong forum :x Try the game forum :)

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out, but im aware of the forum im in.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, nobody can really blame you for not posting this in the PS2 forum, because that section is completly dead, there are posts from '05 on the first page.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, nobody can really blame you for not posting this in the PS2 forum, because that section is completly dead, there are posts from '05 on the first page.

Many are dead, when is the last time someone posted to the Starcraft thread? According to this, they're going to tear the game forums down to only four, of course that was posted nearly a year ago. Not sure what the hell they'll do.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
The only forums that are really active are the Community and the Hardware forums. The rest are pretty dead.

I had the misfortune of stumbling into the ai area of the games section.... almost commented on something, then I realized nobody had touched that place for 2 years.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Maybe thats a good thing that the games forums are dead, this place could end up like gamespot, and we all know how it is there with all the younglings.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
u can run linux on ps2, same as ps3(although it can come with it, or u dl it), ps2 linux look aroudn for the linux kit, sometimes ppl sell it on ebay