problems with new computer need help

kspec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Hi, I just recently bought a new computer and here are the specs..

CPU - Intel C2D E6400 2.13ghz
RAM - Corsair 6400 2GB
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
GPU - EVGA 7900GS
PSU - Enermax Liberty 500W
HD - Seagate 320GB

So.. I am having a few problems. First off, when I download a file that is about 155MB it would take like 30 seconds to move the file into where I saved it after it's done dling. Second, when I try to extract a 155mb file into a folder with winrar, it takes forever.. Also, when I turn on my computer, the Windows XP loading with the blue bars going by stays for like 30+ seconds, I was expecting that my computer should be able to boot much faster than that.

I am trying to run WoW on max settings at 1280x1024 completely smooth, can someone tell me if that is possible with this spec? Because I am getting occasional frame skipping. And in the nvidia control panel, is it best to leave the settings to application controlled?

So I got the computer up and running on my first try, however I feel like I did something wrong during the installation process. Can someone tell me how I can check that everything is running normally(performance-wise/temp etc.)? I updated all my drivers except the BIOS because I read that it was risky to "flash" your BIOS.

Sorry, this was my first time building a computer. Hope to get some replies, thanks!

kspec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
^hm.. the thing is I did a test with my labtop, downloaded the same file, extracted it and beats my new computer.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
For the WoW part, stick with the Blizzard setting. They put alot of effort in testing the major cards and they will tell you where to optimize.
The extracting is higher CPU dependent, with RAM helping (or hurting). While running one next time, take a look at the CPU utilization graph. If it stays at 100%, track down yur ram settings.
Is your HD a SATA, if so it is taking longer to load those drivers.

kspec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
For the WoW part, stick with the Blizzard setting. They put alot of effort in testing the major cards and they will tell you where to optimize.
The extracting is higher CPU dependent, with RAM helping (or hurting). While running one next time, take a look at the CPU utilization graph. If it stays at 100%, track down yur ram settings.
Is your HD a SATA, if so it is taking longer to load those drivers.

Sorry, Blizzard setting as in letting the application decide the setting on Nvidia control panel? And yes my HD is a SATA, does it matter which controller I plugged it into on my motherboard?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The only thing on SATA is you need to load their Drivers. Using other drivers might load slower the native windows stuff.
Blizzard is good and there are many web sites supporting WoW also.

kspec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
So, is there anyone that could help me? I am also having this problem where my mouse cursor would freeze but I am still able to move it. In other words... the cursor would ocassionally freeze on the screen but I am able to use it without seeing where the cursor actually is.

kspec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Alright I fixed the problem, I had to connect my harddrive to my gigabyte controller instead of the intel. However when I did that, on my desktop on the bottom right it shows my hard drive as a removable drive, is that a good thing? How can I rid of the icon, not hide?