Should i buy floor model?? - Sony 34HS510 CRT

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 17, 2004 12:42:57 AM

I received an offer from a local electronics store to take home the
floor model of the direct-view CRT Sony model 34HS510... It retails
for $1800, but since it's the last one they have, the store offered it
to me for $1500. It seems like a great deal, and since they are an
authorized dealer, it DOES include the full Sony warranty.

It seems to be functioning fine in the store, but that model is almost
a year old, so i am concerned that perhaps 10 hours a day, seven days
a week the set is constantly turned ON...should i be concerned about
the life span of this TV? I can get it from Best Buy NEW for about
$1650 with their 10% Father's Week sale. I am not made of money, and i
had to save to get this much, so i would REALLY like the bargain, but
not at the expense of buying a half-dead TV.

Anyone with suggestions on what you would do? Thanks.

-Paul
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:56:40 PM

Com:

I've has the 34HS510 for 10 months now..... from Sears...

Need to make a few more payments soon... was no interest deal.

My only concern for the HS510 demo is the Vivid contrast

setting... IF the set was on VIVID not Normal nor Movie

nor Pro... the picture tube was driven at Super bright...

This may have used up the tube phosphors more the normal...

But Sony was build a rugged/colorful HD TV tube.....

Demo price for xx months use should be 1/2 price... or $1000

ComedyBoyDC wrote:

> I received an offer from a local electronics store to take home the
> floor model of the direct-view CRT Sony model 34HS510... It retails
> for $1800, but since it's the last one they have, the store offered it
> to me for $1500. It seems like a great deal, and since they are an
> authorized dealer, it DOES include the full Sony warranty.
>
> It seems to be functioning fine in the store, but that model is almost
> a year old, so i am concerned that perhaps 10 hours a day, seven days
> a week the set is constantly turned ON...should i be concerned about
> the life span of this TV? I can get it from Best Buy NEW for about
> $1650 with their 10% Father's Week sale. I am not made of money, and i
> had to save to get this much, so i would REALLY like the bargain, but
> not at the expense of buying a half-dead TV.
>
> Anyone with suggestions on what you would do? Thanks.
>
> -Paul
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:13:41 PM

Don't buy it unless they drop the price on this used set significantly...
Wait for the Sony 34hs420... You can get a similar Sony TV new cheaper from
goodguys.com. Perhaps sign of for a Sony charge card and you can save
another 3-5%. I would consider countering their offer and say that you
know the cheaper Sony 34HS420 will be out anyday -- Sonystyle and
Goodguys.com are already selling it -- and say that you will consider buying
it for $1100 shipped...

"ComedyBoyDC" <consumer12345@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 58a264e.0406161942.29fe8340@posting.google.com...
> I received an offer from a local electronics store to take home the
> floor model of the direct-view CRT Sony model 34HS510... It retails
> for $1800, but since it's the last one they have, the store offered it
> to me for $1500. It seems like a great deal, and since they are an
> authorized dealer, it DOES include the full Sony warranty.
>
> It seems to be functioning fine in the store, but that model is almost
> a year old, so i am concerned that perhaps 10 hours a day, seven days
> a week the set is constantly turned ON...should i be concerned about
> the life span of this TV? I can get it from Best Buy NEW for about
> $1650 with their 10% Father's Week sale. I am not made of money, and i
> had to save to get this much, so i would REALLY like the bargain, but
> not at the expense of buying a half-dead TV.
>
> Anyone with suggestions on what you would do? Thanks.
>
> -Paul
June 17, 2004 6:13:42 PM

> Don't buy it unless they drop the price on this used set significantly...
> Wait for the Sony 34hs420...

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. However, as far as the 34hs420
is concerned, it does lack a small handful of features that the
34hs510 DOES have. And physically, i think the new 34hs420 is
hideous. I use a Boltz brand stand that i want to put the TV on, not
the Sony stand. So to me, the whole "built-in" cabinet look of the
new 34" XBR's and the new 34hs420 looks clunky and ugly. I love the
sleek look of the hs510 (although i wish i had purchased the
physically identical 34xbr800 before they disappeared). Since i KNOW
i want a Sony, i want to get this model before i have to settle for
that ugly 34hs420.

I am going over there this afternoon to that small electronics store
to make them a counter-offer. I know that display unit is their very
LAST one, so they probably want to get it off their hands. Actually,
Best Buy is having a 10% off sale right now, so they still have some
new 34hs510's at only about $100 more than what this other store
offered me (about $1650 at Best Buy). Perhaps i can use that as a
bargaining tool.

In the end, what's the highest you would go for the display model
before you decided to buy it new for $1650?

Please give me any more advice you or anyone else has. Thanks.

-Paul
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:31:24 PM

On 17-Jun-2004, consumer12345@aol.com (ComedyBoyDC) wrote:

> And physically, i think the new 34hs420 is
> hideous. I use a Boltz brand stand that i want to put the TV on, not
> the Sony stand. So to me, the whole "built-in" cabinet look of the
> new 34" XBR's and the new 34hs420 looks clunky and ugly.

Yes, but the salesman doesn't need to know that, does he? Use it as a
negotiating tactic to get the price down. Tell him you really like the look
of the new ones and that you would only consider getting this "ugly year-old
display mode" if the price was worth it.

I agree with celtsfan... make it worth your while to buy the display model.
$150 difference between an new, never-been-used tv and a year-old display
model is nothing. Get the new one. However, $500-$600 difference is a lot,
and may make it worth your while to get the display model.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:58:45 PM

Well, i went back to Graffitti Audio & Video here in DC, and they told
me that they wouldn't give me the floor model for less than $1500,
because that was barely above dealer cost. I don't know if i believe
that. He said the unit was on display for about 4 months. I told him
i would think about it.

Then i went over to Best Buy. After telling them i was ready to get
the set from Graffitti if they didn't lower their price, they did just
that. It took several "Let me talk to my supervisor" breaks, but
after about 40 minutes, i got the price from $1850 down to $1550 plus
tax! And with the free delivery he threw in, and the bonus $10 gift
card from Best Buy, it ended up being almost the same price as the
floor model from Graffitti. It will also be delivered in only 2 days.

I think $1550 for the Sony 34hs510 was a steal from Best Buy. And of
course, it's a brand new set, and its soooooo cool lookin'

Thanks CeltsFan, for your advice about being a stickler about the
price of the display model. I did just that, and ended up getting a
fantastic deal on a new one.

Now i just have to find the Avia disc!

-Paul
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:03:01 AM

Oh, and as far as thinking the new model is ugly and clunky...of
course, i KNOW not to tell the sales guy that... trust me, i
understand the idea of a poker face. However, i was just saying that
on this message board because it was suggested that i consider that
new model, and i really didn't want it.

Thanks again to ALL of you and the advice you gave me. I feel much
more comfortable having a NEW set for any price. In this case, i got
a great deal.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:35:18 PM

I purchased a Sony 32" HD TV from Sears that was a floor model.. The list
price was $1299 and they sold it to me for $749 a price break of $$550 or
about 40%. Seems to me the price break they are offering you is not
enough. Don't hestitate to ask for a bigger discount. You might be
surprised what they might accept.

BTW, the Sony Set I bought has been working perfectly. Gorgious picture
even on SD broadcasts.

consumer12345@aol.com (ComedyBoyDC) wrote in broadcast.

news:D 58a264e.0406171903.6eae6b37@posting.google.com:

> Oh, and as far as thinking the new model is ugly and clunky...of
> course, i KNOW not to tell the sales guy that... trust me, i
> understand the idea of a poker face. However, i was just saying that
> on this message board because it was suggested that i consider that
> new model, and i really didn't want it.
>
> Thanks again to ALL of you and the advice you gave me. I feel much
> more comfortable having a NEW set for any price. In this case, i got
> a great deal.

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:02:56 AM

"ComedyBoyDC" <consumer12345@aol.com> wrote
> Well, i went back to Graffitti Audio & Video here in DC, and they told
> me that they wouldn't give me the floor model for less than $1500,
> because that was barely above dealer cost. I don't know if i believe
> that. He said the unit was on display for about 4 months. I told him
> i would think about it.
>
> Then i went over to Best Buy. After telling them i was ready to get
> the set from Graffitti if they didn't lower their price, they did just
> that. It took several "Let me talk to my supervisor" breaks, but
> after about 40 minutes, i got the price from $1850 down to $1550 plus
> tax! And with the free delivery he threw in, and the bonus $10 gift
> card from Best Buy, it ended up being almost the same price as the
> floor model from Graffitti. It will also be delivered in only 2 days.
>
> I think $1550 for the Sony 34hs510 was a steal from Best Buy. And of
> course, it's a brand new set, and its soooooo cool lookin'

I have that same TV. Just got it a month or so ago, after shopping for
weeks. It's a Consumer Reports "best buy" and I absolutely LOVE mine. My
brother in law installs cable, and routinely comes over to note that the
only TVs that he thinks looks good are the HD CRTs, in particular the hs510.
He's so convinced that he's about to go buy one for himself.
!