Asus P5B Affecting Video Card Performance?

MightyMardo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hi everyone I really need help!! I really don't know if the problem is video card or mobo so i'm just going to post in both, sorry!

I recently purchased the following components:

1 x 1.8g Dual Core 2 Intel CPU 800fsb
2 x Geil 512meg Dual Channel 800fsb PC6400
1 x Asus P5B Mobo w/ PciExpress
1 x X1600 Ati Radeon 512meg PciExpress Video Card

Not the most fantastic around but resonable enough. Now got them all in the case easily enough, had a little trouble getting the sound and lan to work but upgraded my fresh Xp install to SP2 and it all worked fine.

So! Then installed factory drivers for my new X1600 pro, seemed to install fine so run my first game and wow thats really chunky. Get out have a play in the ATI Catalyst Control and get back in still chunky. Whipped out the old 3dmark03 and low and behold scored a whopping 5800 points. Settings were 1024 x 768, AA none, Texture Filtering Optimal, Anisotropy 4, Vertex Shaders Optimal, Fixed Frame Off.

Soo install updated ati drivers ran test again 5760 this time. Also noticed some weird graphic glitches like my whole display jumping to the right 4 inches, and some stuttering on bios logo.

So took the card back swapped for a Nvidia 7600GS 512meg Card Installed updated drivers from site ran same 3dmark03 test and scored a 4300. Crap! Less again. Now my old system was p4 2.4g cpu 1gig ram Radeon9800 pro 128meg card and that scored 5903 on 3dmark03, So now i'm really struggling I've gone through mobo book trying to find out if pcie has been throttled or if there is some magical fix everything jumper, but alas. Please anything else you guys can think of ?

Mardo!

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
that's strange.

i just upgraded from a 3.4 Ghz P4 to a core 2 E6400

i am using an Asus p5b-5 motherboard and i have no problems, everything is fast.

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
download cpu-z and go to the mainboard tab and see what your link width is in the graphics interface box. if its ony x1 then thats your problem

chantmak

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
download cpu-z and go to the mainboard tab and see what your link width is in the graphics interface box. if its ony x1 then thats your problem

You keep bringing up this point, but please tell us how to fix it. Thanks

TomLloyd

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006

Unfortunately there's no definite way to fix this at the moment! If that is what is happening (and it seems to be only the P5B Deluxe and only when overclocked, so your issue may be different), the things to try are-

upping PCI-e frequency one at a time (up to 110).
setting Northbridge and southbridge voltages manually, usually to the second from lowest.
setting PEG link width thing to fast or fastest (can't remember exactly what it says)

However not everything works for everybody, the only thing that worked for me was backing off my overclock til I found a level where it didnt happen.

chantmak

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006

Unfortunately there's no definite way to fix this at the moment! If that is what is happening (and it seems to be only the P5B Deluxe and only when overclocked, so your issue may be different), the things to try are-

upping PCI-e frequency one at a time (up to 110).
setting Northbridge and southbridge voltages manually, usually to the second from lowest.
setting PEG link width thing to fast or fastest (can't remember exactly what it says)

However not everything works for everybody, the only thing that worked for me was backing off my overclock til I found a level where it didnt happen.

A simple reboot fixed the problem for me. I didnt change a thing, still overclocked....

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hey all,

This board is really beginning to hack me off - various niggling issues as seen in many other posts such as;
Kept rebooting on shut-down - fixed after much tinkering in bios
Wont boot after power of at mains - fixed by reset
Crappy audio - fixed by unhooking case speaker and disabling audio ESP

But worst of all is the PCI-e link width at x1 after over-clock. I thought I'd fixed this by upping the PCI bus to 110 (it did fix it) but this only lasted till the next reboot whereupon it has returned to x1 mode. The wierd thing is, if I set my PCI bus lower, reboot then adjust it back to 110 link width returns to x16...wtf?

@ Chantmak - does your link width remain at x16 after each and every reboot?

@ Tom Llloyd - how much did you back off your OC before you got a stable x16 link width?

This is a real shame...I want so much for this board to do what it says on the tin and it comes so close, but just when you sort one issue out another rears its ugly head...I'm a first time Asus buyer, not sure that I'd go this route again.

chantmak

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Sometimes it reboots at x16 and sometimes at x1. I don't know what the problem is... I cant seem to fix it. I even went back to default settings in bios, yet no luck. It doesnt seem to be effecting my gameplay though... Who knows, maybe it's reading it wrong.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hey Chantmak,

If CPU-z reads it at x1 you'll get a crappy score in 3D mark so I figure it's reading ok ...I'm wondering if it resets to x1 when the mains is disconnected as that seems to be when I get all my issues - if i don't unplug the machine between reboots everything seems ok.

I'll give it a week and if I cant figure it out, it's going back to the shop.

Good luck with it m8.

TomLloyd

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
@ Tom Llloyd - how much did you back off your OC before you got a stable x16 link width?

I had to back off to 2.8Ghz (I've got an e6400), and the x1 thing has not reared it's ugly head despite numerous restarts. To be honest that's ok for me at the moment, but it's just a bit frustrating as I bought PC6400 memory so that I could hit at least 3.2Ghz.