fx60 need cooler

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I've been given a fx60 cpu oem
my motherboard is a msi neo2 platinum 939 nforce 3
it has a 3000+ in it now with a stock cooler
I know need to upgrade the hsf
what should I get.. If possible I don't want to remove the plate from the back of the motherboard,
also what cpu paste should I get for the cooler you recomend

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
no fair, you were given an fx-60, I wish the sky would give me random $450 cpu's

Free as In I have to put a transmission in my brother inlaw's truck
2 hours work, I once told him I wanted 200 bucks to do the job (its a Kenworth) he got mad and hung up on me. I spoke with him a week later and told him I wanted a new cpu he showed up at my door with the fx 60 8O

but anyway thanks for the links

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Hey I'd gladly do some car reparis for a very expensive cpu, though if you have the money, I'd sell it for a c2d build, but that's not the point, that cooler and those greases should do you good. I don't know when this comes out, but this should surpass the tuniq, but I have no idea at what price
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7738&page=3

my God is that for a cpu.. or for cooling a nuke sub reactor :lol:

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
there is really no need for the tuniq tower unless you plan on overclocking which you never mentioned that at all. Also the tuniq tower will require you to remove the entire motherboard from the case, exactly what you didn't want to do, the best cooler to pick up for a good price Artic Cooler 64 Pro its extremely cheap right now but don't let that make you think its a bad cooler, its a great cooler and will provide you with more than enough cooling for the FX-60.
The tuniq tower is a waste of money and effort/work in this case, although it is a very good cooler.

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
wow that's a good price and easy install
I do want to see if it will get up to 2.8ghz and stay stable
my list is down to two now (unless there are better options)
the artic 64 pro <will it handle a mild oc?
or a zalman 9500, 2.5x the price of the artic but I dont have to remove backplate either and better reviews

the reason the backplate thing bothers me is that, I've read quite a few reviews on my motherboard that say you have to use alot of heat to take the darn thing off

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
im pretty sure you have to remove the motherboard for a 9500 also, the arctic 64 pro should be able to handle a mild overclock but i would make sure you motherboard and ram can even overclock to begin with. you said you had an nforce 3, i know very little on them but i know the nforce 4 was never very overclocker friendly. i'm sure you'll be able to have a mild oc but don't expect alot out of either the cpu or the mobo. the FX-60 series weren't exactly overclocking champions...

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
for 20 bucks i'll go with the artic, if it doesn't work out i'll get the zalman
this mobo is "ok" for the oc I've done already 1.8 to 2.3