A decent router...?

abejay

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hi folks

Sorry that this post might overlap som of the other posts in here but they don't really answer the questions I have...

I need a good router for my home LAN. I've looked at Toms routerchart but it doesn't really answer the "which one then" question (and when is the table gonna be updated...zzz :)). I've read the articles concerning each router, but I can't really conclude which one to clap my hands about.

Initially I considered the WRT54GL (since the WRT54G v5 sux) which costs around 75 dollars where I live (considering the exchange rate to my local currency), opposed to the DLink 4300 or Netgear Rangemax 834 priced at about 160 dollars. The Linksys seemed like an OK buy, considering price and functions, but I don't wanna spend 75 bucks on something that might drop my connection, or if it will become obsolete too soon. On the other hand the Netgear router seems to be bossy about other LANs in my block? That isn't really that smart considering that I have neighbours :)
And thirdly the Dlink, I've heard both good and bad about it, but it's 802.11b/g - but what about n? If that is the future, maybe I should stick to one that supports 802.11n...

The setup I have, so far:
1 gaming rig
2 laptops (gf/w0rk)
1 Xbox (modded)
My internet connection is only 2048/512 ADSL, but that might change in the year(s) to come, I don't know :)

Most importantly I need a product that is rock stable and 'never' drops the connection and I'd also like nice LAN transfer speeds. Traffic control could be nice too, so that I can play games, while downloading without lagging out. :)

I'm looking forward to your input... :)

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I own the DGL-4300 - it's worth every penny bar none. I felt it was expensive too, until I experienced the throughout on it. After upgrading from a 3Com 510 box from 2000, I was blown away at the speed performance on the D-Link.

It will do everything you are looking for in a home router for now and I would say 2-3 years to come. By that time, you will most likely have a newer gaming rig and possibly 1 newer laptop.

802.11n still is not finalized, and won't be until 2007, so if you can hold off until then, that's fine, but if yoiu need something sooner, go with the DGL-4300.

WRT54GL is ok, but I've read a lot of complaints about it, moreso than the DGL-4300. Just make sure you comb over the settings for what you need and ensure your security is et on the wireless side, and you shouldn't experience any problems.