Sign in with
Your question

Warning: Don't Buy a Sapphire X1950 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2007 6:46:25 AM

agp or pci-x, these card has overheating and many other problems. the frame rate is good for most games but it can hardly run heavy load games more than 10 minutes. the cards shuts itself when temperature reaches 65 degrees C, making system effectively hang. you have no option but reboot.
it cannot complete company of heroes performance test.
February 3, 2007 7:47:50 AM

Yes these cards run a little warm, but I believe that it's partially user fault if they overheat. I've seen a number of gripes on newegg.com. I am running crossfired Sapphire x1950pro pci-e in my system. At idle these cards run at about 45c and after hours of gaming, about 72c (with no stability issues or artifacting issues). I made good air cooling a priority. I bought a Thermaltake Aguila case, with two 120mm fans, one in the back, and one in the front. This case also has a side vent for fresh cool air. I also took some time to clean up the cable clutter by wrapping dr. cable around a group of wires and move them to the side of the case. I am using a Zalman CNPS 9500 cpu cooler which helps push cpu heated air right toward the rear exhaust fan, and out the back of the case. I also leave pleanty of room around the sides of the case to allow that cool air an easy path in. Check all of these first, then if your problems continue, it may be hardware related.
February 3, 2007 7:51:30 AM

Is this a known problem or just in your experience? I don't think they would sell something with issues like that. I almost bought one of those and I started kicking myself for not getting it but I feel better now.

BTW PCI-X is a server socket used mostly for RAID cards and NIC's, what you're referring to is PCI-e.
Related resources
February 3, 2007 5:47:05 PM

I got a sapphire x1950 pro. got no probs with it

idle temps around 47, gaming temps from 50 to70 (Oblivion,FEAR,Rainbow six Vegas all set to max settings).

Never seen it go over 75 and thats with the fan at 50%.

Im pretty impressed with it to be honest. Maybe i just got lucky and got a good one.

edit: My company of heros performance test is half way down this page
February 3, 2007 5:55:47 PM

well my msi flavor is idling @42*C and full load@60ish *C.
but the cooling solution is the ati's reference single slot hsf.
February 3, 2007 7:39:21 PM

sapphires one is single slot aswell :) 
February 3, 2007 8:11:40 PM

It's a some what know problem. I was looking in to this card and found that sapphires forum was full of black screening complaints. Most where from OCing but many where at stock running under load. The issue is with the power regulators over heating not the core form what I've read. This also prevents any real OCing an volt modding. If you look at sapphires x1950pro extreme it has a large heat sink over the Vreg.
February 3, 2007 8:17:27 PM

did you try work on cool down your case and card before you crying in here?

gbz
February 3, 2007 8:49:40 PM

I recently purchased that particular card for my system as it seemed like a good deal, and an upgrade from my X800GTO. I can honestly say I have had no problems with it. I have an AOPEN case, not fancy at all, have two stealth 80mm case fans, and I run ATITOOL so that if the card goes past 50 degrees C, the fan will go to 100%. Some may say that is loud, but when I play games, I don't hear it anyway. I play Company of Heroes at max settings and it runs very well, no heating problems like some of you have described. Perhaps try ATITOOL to control the speed of the fan?

By the way, I like the idea that it is a single-slot cooling solution. But, the true test will come this summer when the ambient room temperature goes up.

Hope you get the issues solved quick and to your satisfaction.
February 3, 2007 10:06:20 PM

Haven't had a problem with the Sapphire X1950 PRO they sent me for testing. Works like a charm so far.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2007 10:36:26 PM

I have the plain ATI version, idles at 40, full load 64 is the highest I have seen. Stock cooling.
No problems, rock steady.
February 3, 2007 10:47:37 PM

All i can say is get betetr cooling i have a 1900xtx which clock speed wise is pretty simler if not the same other then ram. and under full load i get maybe 64c. Yeah the cards run hot but what do you expect its a high end card thats been pushed to its limits.
February 4, 2007 1:45:40 AM

Quote:
Haven't had a problem with the Sapphire X1950 PRO they sent me for testing. Works like a charm so far.

Say again about that testing thing!
February 4, 2007 2:15:36 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that...
February 4, 2007 2:20:58 AM

Quote:

Sorry. What I meant is that you said the the sapphire x1950 pro they sent me for testing. I was wondering how you get to do that.
February 4, 2007 3:14:50 AM

Quote:
,Rainbow six Vegas all set to max settings).

You're a fuking liar.
February 4, 2007 3:26:14 AM

Quote:

You're a fuking liar.

if its not more graphic intence then oblivion with 1 gig of graphical addons i dont doubt it since i can play oblivion in 1920x1200 with everythign cranked to absolute max at 50 frames.
February 4, 2007 3:47:22 AM

Quote:

Sorry. What I meant is that you said the the sapphire x1950 pro they sent me for testing. I was wondering how you get to do that.

Cleeve actually works at Toms Hardware. He's done quite a few articles.

Also, the AMD 1900 series generally run quite hot, with some of the X1900XTXs running at 90 degrees Celcius at load. They are designed to handle temperatures that hot, and start throttling back at 110 to 120 degrees Celcius, so 65 isn't that hot. Graphics cards very often run 65 to 70 degrees at load normally, they're designed to be able to run hotter than a CPU.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 3:57:04 AM

ruleworld has made his 'statement' :o 
He's not interested in our questions, heheh. Well he's not replying anyway!
Maybe his case is hot and his PSU is wimpy...?
Regards
February 4, 2007 4:28:57 AM

I was wondering that won't a graphics card runnning 70 Celcius affect the overall motherboard/cpu, isn't that bad? Even though the components are designed to run at those temperatures I can't help but feel that it increases the chance of malfunction.
February 4, 2007 5:07:11 AM

always said

people with under 50 posts....are not to be fully trusted

Probally a paid Nvidia shill
February 4, 2007 5:55:13 AM

I heard Sapphire X1950Pro's will rape your wife and give you the clap.
February 4, 2007 5:58:52 AM

Hey Enforcer22, I just noticed you said you were in the 60's during load. I have an Antec P-180 Case and my CPU temp while at load is around 54 degrees C, so I dont think my case cooling is to terrible, but I have an Arctic Cooling Accelro X2 on my X1900XTX and the ATI CCC shows me at 88 - 92 degrees C during load, and has done that for a year now and I have never had any problems, so I am just curious is to if that is the same program you read your temps with and if you use stock cooling or not?

Best,

3Ball
February 4, 2007 6:01:19 AM

Quote:
always said

YES, Nvidia paid me to say that I own a X1950 XT and it's the best $250 that I've ever spent. :roll:

Seriously tho, I've never had a problem with my card (exept on BF2, i get slight artifacts on first load up of a map, but I think it's a driver issue cuz it only lasts about 15 seconds). Tempature-wise it has never acted up, even before using ATI tray tools to crank the fan speed.
February 4, 2007 6:24:39 AM

Yes i sue stock cooling and i use the drivers to read my gpu temp.. my cpu only runs about 30 some c during load though. didnt mean to be confusing about which i was tlkaing about. Sometimes it gets in the 40c rang. I have a lian li case from my sig and its pretty decked out with fans. i drilled a 120mm in the side for a bit more ar flow also.
February 4, 2007 6:30:22 AM

Well, I don't know if i'm the only one with a problem, but I got a gigabyte 1950pro and i can't read the temps at all, and I don't like that. Maybe that's why it comes with a zalaman cooler
February 4, 2007 6:36:41 AM

Quote:
always said

YES, Nvidia paid me to say that I own a X1950 XT and it's the best $250 that I've ever spent. :roll:

actually that would mean you are on Amd's pay roll :) 

is it possible that this guy has a defective card and should cash in his warranty? I mean not being able to run a game for more than 10 minutes sounds really bad
February 4, 2007 6:41:33 AM

yea i was just using my cpu as an example for the cooling, but i dont have near that much and my case is in a not so good place, so im sure that is part of it. you got some nice temps though!

Best,

3Ball
February 4, 2007 8:31:48 AM

I have a PowerColor pcie x1950 pro card. It comes with a special cooler (ARCTIC COOLING). I have not had a problem with it even after playing Oblivion for several hours. My room can get as hot as an inferno and I have not paid any attention to the cooling of my case which means there are cables all around it.

It idles at 45 right now. I have not checked it after playing for extended hours but it never gave me any trouble and is absolutely silent. It is as silent as the passively cooled 7600 gt that I before it! I could not hear the fan's noise over my Athlon64 3000+ stock fan while my ear was next to it.

All that said, since I bought the card I have not played heavy 3d games a lot. Using the VIVO played ps2 games for a while and now mostly playing ancient 2d games like Disciples II so maybe I have not put it under enough pressure to pass a judgment.
February 4, 2007 9:15:26 AM

I have the same card too. I can't say I've noticed any problems at all either.
February 4, 2007 9:44:55 AM

I had a choice between ASUS and Sapphire for my x1950Pro, i chose ASUS. Fortunately they changed the stock heatsink with a brick instead of just putting a sticker saying 'ASUS' over it. Stock temps are 44C and never goes over 60C even when playing bf2 for hours.
February 4, 2007 9:55:04 AM

Quote:

You're a fuking liar.

haha :lol:  did i claim it was playable? :p  mind you it is...just some spots can go down to 21. usually around 40 fps.

I was talking about temps at those settings: This my temp while playing rainbow six on max settings for 20 mins

February 4, 2007 11:15:19 AM

I would check your heatsink and make sure it is seated properly and has adequate thermal paste aquired. I seem to remember reading a while back many mobos and graphics cards having little or no paste from factory oe the sink getting knocked around.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 11:29:48 AM

Quote:
i can play oblivion in 1920x1200 with everythign cranked to absolute max at 50 frames.

? Did I miss some sarcasm? Are you saying you can play Oblivion at 19x12 with all sliders maxed and average 50 fps outside? You must be running crossfire X1900's to manage that.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

Firingsquad uses max in game settings in their high end review, and averages less than 30 fps at 16x12 in the outoors. Shoot, they average less than 40 fps at 10x7. Their testing is in line with what I see on my X1950XT.
February 4, 2007 11:36:58 AM

Quote:
i can play oblivion in 1920x1200 with everythign cranked to absolute max at 50 frames.

? Did I miss some sarcasm? Are you saying you can play Oblivion at 19x12 with all sliders maxed and average 50 fps outside? You must be running crossfire X1900's to manage that.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

Firingsquad uses max in game settings in their high end review, and averages less than 30 fps at 16x12 in the outoors. Shoot, they average less than 40 fps at 10x7. Their testing is in line with what I see on my X1950XT.

it must be 192x120
February 4, 2007 12:50:53 PM

I have that same card and I am wondering what are you using to get you GPU temperatures, what software are you using ?
February 4, 2007 1:58:22 PM

I've had one in AGP now for a couple of weeks and have had no problems at all. In fact a very impressive card! Temps generally in the 40-50's, I can hear when the cooling fan changes speed. Been playing Oblivion at 1280x1024, everything maxed, no HDR, 4x AA and get 30-50 fps. From what I've seen in other forums it is a picky card when it comes to power. Seems those with good PSU's don't have issues. Seems if yours is running hot time to open up the case, some new fans and upgrade that PSU!
DC
February 4, 2007 2:43:01 PM

Ok,ok, talking in very general terms. Might be better to say "very playable FPS". I'm using NGO's drivers. How do you post attatchments?. RobsX2 I've put together some screens in pdf format. I'd email it to you if you'd like.
DC
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 2:56:02 PM

UhOh, another Rob showing off his rig thread.... :mrgreen:

Quote:
North of Anvil.

Dude your Oblivion needs some rain !!
What's the point in turning up the grass if it's all dead !?! :tongue:

Oh, BTW, I get 1920x1200 with 6xAA and 16xAFF with 30fps outdoors with the sliders all the way up on my MRX700.

Of course that's watching the HD demos from the game launch. Maybe that's what some people are quoting, what they're watching, not playing. :twisted:
February 4, 2007 3:23:27 PM

Hey I have a friend that says his son plays Oblivion very well at 1280x1024 and max settings (all sliders to the max) on a 7600GS!!!!!! And his CPU is a AMD 3500+ AM2. :lol: 

On the other hand I have choppy framerate outside with medium settings at 1024x768 on my Nvidia 6800 unlocked 16p 6vp and AMD 3000+ @ 2350mhz. Who do you thing is not telling the truth???

I am going to buy a Gecube x1950 pro pci-e along with a new pci-e mb. Does anyoane have any xp with this card?
February 4, 2007 3:49:48 PM

I think his framerate at those settings would be below 10fps.

But what do you think of the Gecube X1950 pro? Does anyone have one?
February 4, 2007 4:12:18 PM

If I go through a gate or the game tells me its "loading Area" things will stutter for a split second, but in general, even in the outdoors, 30 been the norm for me. (Get WAY into the game to watch the damm numbers.. 8) )

RobsX2 you just keep me stright! :lol: 
DC
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 4:35:21 PM

Quote:
I ran Oblivion at the following----

1280X1024 with 2XAA and 8XAF + HDR. All ingame sliders were maxed with the exception of the following----specular 75%, indoor shadows 75%, outdoor shadows 50%. Shadow filtering was set to low and I only used Tree canopy shadows, No self or grass shadows. Lastly I used the ini grass mod and set the value to 110 to thin out the grass just a little bit as the performance gain was greatly worth it.

The settings I am currently using are very similar to the ones you used to play at. I am running 12x10, 2xAA, 8xHQAF, HDR, all sliders maxed except grass is about 70%, indoor and outdoor shadows about 50%, shadow filtering low, and no self or grass shadows. I am not tweaking grass height (just left it at 80) on this rig, but use that on other rigs.

Anyway, If I truely max out all in game settings, and run 2xaa/ 8xHQAF at 12x10, I see lows down near 10 fps in the worst spots. Obviously unacceptable and an X1950XT is clearly above a X1950 pro. As it is at my above settings, I drop down to the low 20's in the worst areas.

Anway, Oblivion claims are nothing new. I remember way back folks with 7800GT's claiming they played at max settings. I just linked them to FS's single digit foliage scores and said odd how my 7800GT sucks just like the one in the review, yet yours plays at max. Try going out of the sewers. :roll:

People just don't realize that fairly high settings aren't max settings and have a huge impact in framerates. It's so easy to check up
February 4, 2007 4:59:28 PM

Ok im considered a noob so take what I say with a grain of salt , but lets get a few things strait.the 1950 PRO and xt are a world apart.more but its just a 580core which is nice but man the crossfire bridge is nice.I could go into all kinds of detail but some are thing i've been told with makes it of little value. The ease of crossfire , the better crossfire performance in some instances.Second the cheaper cards have JUNK JUNK JUNK COOLERS , these cards have digital PWM's and they get HOT which accounts for a lot of these so called issues.They hold the overclocking back far but the few with the old pmw's are even worse.Many of these card without the reference cooler have no cooling at all on the PWM's. Most of the company's are fixing this as we speak.I know the sapphire with the zalman didnt at first (maybe still) and the single slot cooler they use is the reference cooler but aluminum from the looks of it. My ATi has solid copper and the thing is good to go. Anyone with issues try throwing some swift's on the pwm's and get better cooling.And also the OC thing , increase the mem by 27mhz at a time or go get ray's latest beta of ATT. ( samsung bc12@ 835mhz here in LL)This reply is too long to start with so the many other things involving oblivion , I can not touch lmao. But I wish my single reference card ran like that almost make my x-fire (1950x2) look bad. And as allways your my hero grape lol P.S. sorry for the long post but I needed to say it.Anything I said can be confirmed by anyone that can use yahoo so dont even try to say im totally full of it ( just a little) , search and then ask ray adams.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 5:05:36 PM

Quote:
Is this green enough? :p 

Yeah that's better, Oblivion on Miracle Grow. 8)
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 5:24:04 PM

Quote:
instead of all this FPS wars we're having, how about we just admire this pic.

Ok, now mine (from ElderScrolls V ... I hope :twisted: );

I think the grass size is cranked up though. :wink:

Or look at the water effects;

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/5816/img0461js8.jpg

:mrgreen:
February 4, 2007 5:34:13 PM

8O Wow! You must have borrowed JJMAN's ATI FX12000. :lol: 
February 4, 2007 6:30:08 PM

Those pics are amazing! i need to get this game.

best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2007 6:34:38 PM

Quote:
My X1900XT was also pretty highly overclocked :wink: 730core and 1660mem.

And I'm just running stock 650/1800 His Turbo speeds. I haven't even tried OC'in it myself yet. But it's a fair step up from the X1800XT I was using.
The difference in NFS:Carbon was much bigger than Oblivion even.
!