Can I record HDTV content yet?

Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs for
HDTV content.
Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater near
you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV broacast to
a computer or other DVR device?
15 answers Last reply
More about record hdtv content

    Yesterday, I ordered the Comcast DVR . Records up to 7 whole hours of HD.
    (N. Jersey)

    And, there was a PC card recently introduced that records cable HDTV.
    Initial reviews I saw weren't too good, though.

    "Bulk Daddy" <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in message
    > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs for
    > HDTV content.
    > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater near
    > you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV broacast to
    > a computer or other DVR device?

    If your box has a 1394 (aka FireWire or iLink) output, you may be able to
    record the raw MPEG2 transport stream using a Macintosh running OS X, or a
    PC running Linux (sorry, no Windows solution just yet). I've had success
    with the Mac and the Motorola DCT-6200 cable box.

    Check out http://www.avsforum.com -- there are several forum threads devoted
    to HD recording.

    Also, the major players in the cable box arena (Motorola & Scientific
    Atlanta) offer or are about to offer HD cable boxes with built-in hard
    drives to give you Tivo-like functionality. Ask your cable provider about
    their plans in this area.

    "Bulk Daddy" <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in message
    > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs for
    > HDTV content.
    > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater near
    > you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV broacast to
    > a computer or other DVR device?

    LG Electronics LST-3410A (with certain limitations)
    "Bulk Daddy" <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in message
    > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs for
    > HDTV content.
    > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater near
    > you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV broacast to
    > a computer or other DVR device?

    Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in

    > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    > for HDTV content.
    > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    > near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    > broacast to a computer or other DVR device?

    JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    requires Firewire:

    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50

    "Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
    > Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    > > for HDTV content.
    > > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    > > near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    > > broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    >
    > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > requires Firewire:
    >
    > http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50

    I am curious if that includes an OTA ATSC tuner. It looks like it does....

    Mr. Curious

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:39:25 -0400, "ng_reader"
    <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50

    Doesn't mention an antenna input.

    Kal

    Mitsubishi makes D-VHS recorders as well, and they ain't cheap either,
    although I got a nice one for $266 on eBay. Requires
    Firewire/iLink/IEEE1394. I Really didn't want to go the tape route, but I'm
    recording HD OTA and didn't want to go the DVR route either. I'm just
    bridging the gap until they decide on the HD-DVD standard (or Blu-ray,
    whatever).

    Phil

    "Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
    > Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    > > for HDTV content.
    > > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    > > near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    > > broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    >
    > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > requires Firewire:
    >
    > http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50

    The question was about recording HDTV content from cable. Does this
    VCR work with any cable equipment?

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
    > > Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    > > > for HDTV content.
    > > > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    > > > near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    > > > broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    > >
    > > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > > requires Firewire:
    > >
    > > http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50
    > >

    > I am curious if that includes an OTA ATSC tuner. It looks like it
    does....

    > Mr. Curious

    It has a conventional NTSC tuner built-in. There is no ATSC tuner built-in.
    It depends on a Firewire connection to an external tuner for HDTV.

    Jeff Shoaf wrote:

    > Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    >>for HDTV content.
    >>Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    >>near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    >>broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    >

    > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > requires Firewire:

    And it requires....tape!

    Steve K. wrote:

    > Jeff Shoaf wrote:
    >
    >> Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    >>> for HDTV content.
    >>> Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    >>> near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    >>> broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    >>

    >> JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    >> requires Firewire:
    >

    > And it requires....tape!
    Yes but it is digital and works very well.

    David wrote:

    > Yesterday, I ordered the Comcast DVR . Records up to 7 whole hours of HD.
    > (N. Jersey)
    >
    > And, there was a PC card recently introduced that records cable HDTV.
    > Initial reviews I saw weren't too good, though.

    You can buy a Fusion HDTV III card that supposedly does both
    QAM (cable) and 8VSB(OTA) . I can't speak for the Fusion HDTV III from
    personal experience, but their Fusion II card (OTA only ) works quiet
    well, I have two of them. You can buy them at copperbox.com and
    directconnection.com

    Jeff B

    "Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The question was about recording HDTV content from cable. Does this
    > VCR work with any cable equipment?

    Hard to answer without more information about your cable system.

    If your cable HDTV box has a Firewire (IEEE 1394) output, it may work.
    I can't tell from the JVC specs if it can tune cable QAM modulation . Some
    premium cable HDTV channels may prohibit recording.
    For more information try the HDTV recording forum on
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

    Cable companies are supposed to provide a Firewire output box upon request,
    by Federal mandate.

    > Jeff Shoaf <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
    > > Bulk Daddy <bdaddy@commonsense.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Cable network user here. My digital cable box has plenty of outputs
    > > > for HDTV content.
    > > > Is there anything on the market yet or coming soon to a home theater
    > > > near you in the United States that will let a person record an HDTV
    > > > broacast to a computer or other DVR device?
    > >
    > > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > > requires Firewire:
    > >
    > > http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50

    <snip>

    > > > JVC has a VCR that can record and playback HD, but it ain't cheap and
    > > > requires Firewire:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4603000&pathId=50
    > > >

    > > I am curious if that includes an OTA ATSC tuner. It looks like it
    > does....
    > >
    > > Mr. Curious
    >
    > It has a conventional NTSC tuner built-in. There is no ATSC tuner
    built-in.
    > It depends on a Firewire connection to an external tuner for HDTV.

    Thanks to both. Reckon I should have figured as much. At least not yet...

    "John Smith" <no_one@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:<04FBc.26952$eH1.12583692@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
    > If your cable HDTV box has a Firewire (IEEE 1394) output, it may work.
    > I can't tell from the JVC specs if it can tune cable QAM modulation . Some
    > premium cable HDTV channels may prohibit recording.

    Only the cable box has to work with QAM, it isn't an issue for the
    JVC. If the cable box has a working FireWire output then it would
    provide a transport stream just like any other HD source. Another
    issue though would be 5C encryption of the transport stream on
    FireWire. That could be an issue for premium cable channels and the
    JVC decks are designed to handle 5C.

HDTV Cable Home Theatre