Thermaltake 700w??

slick8

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Is this a good PS for a mid to high end gaming rig?, Im have a 500w thermaltake now, im running a fx 55 with a 7950 with only 1 hd, it seems a little sluggish, ill be upgrading to a e6600 with a 8800gts soon, any recommendations

Thanks

vinman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
My bad, Grated had such a short post I completely missed it :oops: By the way, I was going to be upgrading to an asus p5n-e sli board with an e6600 proc. overclocked and maybe a new ati card if they ever come out :? Is that TT 700w still enough, I think so, but you've done a lot of research obviously and just wondered your opinion. Thanks.

Grated

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Yes it was a short post :).

Anyway, I was responding to his post & not in the assumption that his system would have dual 8800GTX and OC'ing and a bunch of hard drives.

Is this a good PS for a mid to high end gaming rig?, Im have a 500w thermaltake now, im running a fx 55 with a 7950 with only 1 hd, it seems a little sluggish, ill be upgrading to a e6600 with a 8800gts soon, any recommendations

He uses an e6600 with an 8800GTS. For this, a 500W is more then enough

sailer

Splendid
In anticipation of a DX10 video card upgrade, I installed a TT 700wt psu and it has performed without problem. On my total system, as long as I don't go to SLI, this psu should work fine, so I think it should work well for yours too.

I'm in total agreement with mpilchfamily that a 500wt will not suffice with even a single 8800 GTS. OK, you might get it to boot up, but get into an intense game or something and it will crash out or go BSOD or something.

sailer

Splendid
is the 500w ok for what im running now?

My personal opinion is that you're on the edge. Looked at your original post and you said the computer's sometimes a bit sluggish. While that may be because your total system is slow, it could also indicate a slowdown from inadequate power. As mpilchfamily wrote, your total amps are low, and that affects everything involved, especially if you're overclocking that FX55.

My belief is that it is better to be overpowered than underpowered. Overpower may waste a bit of power, but underpower is asking for trouble and headaches when things don't perform as expected.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am sure it's just one opinion, Thermaltake is a well-regarded brand, but just FYI, mine (I think I had a 680W) died in a year. Certainly, much less time than I expected it to last.