Sign in with
Your question

SCSI HD HANG

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2007 12:38:46 PM

I have an IBM Server xseries 226. I put in the disk before installing windows to set it up. I told it the version of windows thats being installed and told me to put the windows cd in and it copied the disk installation files to the drives. IT Told me to take out the CD, then it restarted, went into the windows install screen.

I have been here for 30 mins so far. It is just sitting on the blank blue screen with setup is starting windows at the bottom

Should it be taking this long? What am i doing wrong?

More about : scsi hang

February 3, 2007 1:10:57 PM

Nope, shouldn't be taking that long as far as I know.

I would check SCSI bus configuration:

1. Termination. Remember that both ends of the bus must be terminated. Usually, the host adapter terminates its end of the bus automatically, sometimes that's switchable in the host adapter's BIOS. The other end of the bus is usually terminated by the permanent terminator hanging on the end of the SCSI ribbon cable in LVD setups, or by a jumper on the last drive in single-ended setups. In some servers, the backplane has termination built-in.

2. Termination power. In some single-ended SCSI setups, the terminator must have power in order to terminate the bus. One of the devices on the bus usually provides termination power to the bus, generally the host adapter. However, I've seen some host adapters that don't provide it, and therefore another device has to (generally the last drive on the bus). Some drives have a jumper that allows you to select whether they provide termination power or not. If the host adapter doesn't provide it, and the drive is jumpered to not provide it, then the bus won't be terminated even though the terminator is present.

3. SCSI IDs. Check to make sure every device on the bus has a unique ID (including the host adapter). If you have a older single-ended bus where there are some 8-bit ("narrow") and some 16-bit ("wide") devices sharing the same bus, remember that narrow devices can't see the high IDs (8-15), thus every device needs to use an ID between 0-7. (That rule does not apply to LVD setups or SE setups where all devices are 16-bit).

4. Driver. Since you're installing Windows, make sure you're installing the correct driver for your host adapter. Many manufacturers provide several similar but not identical drivers in the same driver package. When you use the floppy to install the driver during Windows setup using F6, only 4 drivers appear at a time, and there is no scroll bar, but you can often scroll down using the down arrow key on the keyboard and see more drivers. (I know you're probably not to this point yet, and the pre-installation CD from IBM may have already set up the Windows installation so that it already will have the correct driver and not need to use a driver floppy, but this is just something to keep in mind).
February 3, 2007 1:44:16 PM

Theres no cables really involved with this. The SCSI hard drives are hot swapable. You slide them in the front of the case. each slot has a number and I have it in the right slot.
Related resources
February 3, 2007 2:09:52 PM

I'm out. :? If you try the installation again and it still hangs, it may be time to call IBM. Given that you have a server and the problem seems relatively straightforward, I would think they shouldn't charge you for support.
February 5, 2007 4:26:47 PM

Did you find a reslove?

Since this is a new OS instance (W2k3 SP1?), I would first get the newest IBM ServerRaid Bootable ISO image off their site. It should be 8.x something. Along with any other firmware updates. IBM has a specific driver if wants you to use if you happen to have the Sata version, but you seem to be using SCSI.

Oddly enough I have seen this happen with newer xservers as well, sometimes is was due to a bad VOL of LIC key, others is was because the pre SP1 driver was $hit.

An way...thought I'd share my experiences.
!