Sign in with
Your question

Help a Girl build her first non-gaming Computer

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2007 2:36:56 PM

Hello all, My old Dell computer is running on its last days and I think its finally time to upgrade. Now my Dad just wants to buy another Dell, but after reading on these great forums for a while on how much better custom build PC's can be, I want to try and convince him its a better deal. He put together a Computer on Dell's site that came out to be around $1250 with an E6600, 20in Widescreen, Cheap ATI video card, and 2GB of RAM. I'd like to keep that bugdet. This computer will mainly be used for video encoding suff and other basic things. I probably will overclock down the line when can convince my Dad it wont destroy the Computer. I dont play any intense games, nor does my brother or any else in this family so thats not important. So, what would you suggest for this build. The only things I am set on are the E6600 and I really like the features of the P5B Deluxe Motherboard when compared to the DS3 andsome others. A 7600GT would probably be more than enough to run Vista nicely and anything else i need. Everthing else is up for suggestion. I really appreciate this. :D  :D  :D 

Thanks a lot guys,
Danielle
February 3, 2007 3:15:51 PM

LMFAO :lol: 

I have a hard time believing that any girl would frequent these forums. Please post photograph for proof!
February 3, 2007 3:37:08 PM

2 GB of RAM definately...
Just remember dell uses the cheapest most propiatary parts possible. Another thing to mention is that quite a few dells I have seen use all the memory slots up. For example to get 1GB of RAM Dell installed 4 256mb modules in my friends mom's computer. The mainboard you choose looks pretty good tooo.
Related resources
February 3, 2007 3:39:28 PM

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that any girl would frequent these forums. Please post photograph for proof!

Yup Yup
February 3, 2007 3:47:06 PM

We said the same things back when the girls wanted to go street racing with us. However they got really into it and they got good, good enough to scam.

I'm so sure my cars faster I'll let my girlfriend run ya....

Those were the times, I wish I could go back 15 years.
February 3, 2007 4:13:48 PM

the set-up you listed should work fine for what you want to do.

of course you probably wont be able to overclock.
but it should work just fine otherwise.
February 3, 2007 4:37:23 PM

Quote:

I have the E6600 and regular P5B and I have my CPU overclocked to 3.4GHz. It was clocked to 3GHz with the stock HSF. You'll be able to overclock down the line if you want to.
February 3, 2007 4:38:46 PM

Quote:

I have the E6600 and regular P5B and I have my CPU overclocked to 3.4GHz. It was clocked to 3GHz with the stock HSF. You'll be able to overclock down the line if you want to.

i was talking about the dell she listed.
February 3, 2007 4:39:58 PM

Quote:
LMFAO Laughing

Why is that so hard to believe I know quite a few girls that are into computers and visit tech sites every so often.
February 3, 2007 4:42:51 PM

Quote:

Yup Yup

congrats to the sexist people. does it really matter if she's a girl. honestly.
February 3, 2007 4:50:08 PM

yes it does :lol: 
February 3, 2007 5:04:10 PM

Building your own pc is not going to be cheaper, in general it will cost more. it will be more future proof and will be able to get much better parts.
February 3, 2007 5:09:37 PM

Not cool monkeymanuk, sexist comments like that should get you reported. Girls have every right we do to visit this forum and yes there are girls that are interested and knowledgeable in this field.

Thank you I_Love_Tacos, your always an outstanding forumz member.
February 3, 2007 5:15:05 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of girls out there in the world that have some knowlege in computers. I am by no means a hardcore computer expert but seeing as I would like to go to college for video editing/design, it probably would be a good idea that I had some knowlege in this area.

Now for those of you that actually tried to help, I thank you.

Normally I wouldnt care if my family just bought another Dell computer. Our old one ran fine, never had any problems, and worked well for what we did on it.

However seeing as this new computer will be used for more intensive video applications, i am worried that the Dell might not have enough power. This is why i am interested in building my own.

Here's a small list of some things i would like to include:

E6600
P5B Deluxe
2GB DDR2 800 (Not sure what brand)
7600GT
19in or 20in Widescreen Monitor
Case- Just something with decent air flow that fits the budget.
PSU- Dont need anything high end, just something to power the system with an overclock down the road
Hard Drive- Anything with at least 250gb of storage.

Thanks a lot
Danielle
February 3, 2007 5:15:57 PM

With a budget of $1250 you can build a pretty nice computer. One thing that we need to know is if you'll still be getting the Dell 20" LCD which I assume is this. If you indeed are still set on getting a monitor that leaves you with roughly an $800 build budget. Unfortunately with a budget like that you wouldn't be saving oodles of money by building your own PC, however the components that you choose will be better than anything a computer company will toss in to their machines. You seem to be on the right track though, if I were you I would look in to swapping out the E6600 for a 4300 and take that savings and get 2GB of RAM instead. If you plan on putting Vista on your new rig your computer will be crying when you try to encode video with a single gig.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 5:21:51 PM

Heres What I suggests:

ASUS P5B Deluxe : $178

XFX PVT71PUDE3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 XT $190

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300: $187

2x CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 : $178

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB: $100

ViewSonic Q19WB-2 Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD: $210

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LiteScribe: :$36

Choose your own case with a 450W+ PSU

Total Price: $1060 ( without case and Shipping)
Add about $80 for case

All of these can be bought from newegg.com

PS: Search for Public Wish list name [CHEAP E6300 THG] for this list at newegg

Add Vista Home Premium or XP Pro. Vista runs stably on a new fresh rig.
Beta tested Vista since the 1st beta, been using the RTM version since it came out. I don't have many problems with the RTM, but you might want to wait until Vista SP1 is out (Microsoft is already starting work on SP1)

Good luck :) 

~Shadow
February 3, 2007 5:27:59 PM

Ok, a couple people replyed while i was typing the post. Taco I will definitly look into the DS3. I havent really done any research on it yet. Shadow, Thanks for the Shopping list, its pretty much perfect excet for I would really like to get the E6600. I would rather just have the power righ out of the box. Then maybe a a couple months or a year down the road I can overclock a little bit with relative ease.
February 3, 2007 5:34:03 PM

With a name like Hottie214, it just smacks of someone trying to get a load of computer geeks all hot and sweaty. 8O

Gentlemen, don't get your knickers in a twist, I was just having a little giggle. :roll:

Anyway,

I'll assume you are for real and won't make any further comments about your gender :?:

You can save a pretty penny going with a 19" screen over a 20", you only lose 200 pixels or so on the width. In fact I have a 19" xerox sat next to me and its pretty good. It's not as good as my Dell 20" but I would settle for it if cash was an issue.

If you are video editing then 2 screens is probably a good idea also.

If you are not gaming then why spend more than $50 on a video card?

Peace m'lady :wink:
February 3, 2007 5:48:24 PM

well Tacos had really good recommendations and i agree with him about the PC specs.
February 3, 2007 5:48:44 PM

Quote:
E6600
P5B Deluxe
2GB DDR2 800 (Not sure what brand)
7600GT
19in or 20in Widescreen Monitor
Case- Just something with decent air flow that fits the budget.
PSU- Dont need anything high end, just something to power the system with an overclock down the road
Hard Drive- Anything with at least 250gb of storage.

Thanks a lot
Danielle

whether your a girl or not really is irrelavent, stating your a girl and then naming yourself "hottie214" is playing on some stereotypes but again totally irrelavent.

here's some reccomendations for changes in your list.

1st CPU I did some checking via Tom's CPU charts and their is a genuine benefit in your intended useage so I do agree an E6600 is a good place to start.

2nd I reccomend a Gigabyte DS3 motherboard in place of the Asus P5B 1 I'm using one and love it and it's bios has more options than the Asus P5B.... it's about $10 more but worth it if you computing interests ever become more in depth in regards to performance.....

3rd: your memory depends on your budget and while I like my G.Skill 4-4-4-12 pc 6400 it was spendy.... additionally memory performance doesen't drastically improve that much in the 4% neighborhood which is money that could be spent elsewhere.

4th: your 7600 GT is a very nice video card but it's a 7xxx series card which is no longer be getting any driver optimisations from Nvidia as they are focused on the 8xxx's now...... if you can wait I'd highly reccomend you opt for the soon released 8600 series or possibly consider an ATI alternative as they have additional features lacking in the 7xxx's and the architecture will be recieving support for quite some time to come as the arhitecture is new and generally will be longer lived in the ATI lineup.

5th: I really hate to make this reccomendation because I to love my widescreen monitor but if you plan on doing video editing the software currently is optimised for standard displays and not widescreen, additionally again given your useage you shouldn't be cheap on the display and will have to pay a little more for the additional quality.

I reccomend the Samsung 204B 20" Newegg has them and they are pricy so look for better prices if you can but the quality of the display is top notch for a standard format LCD capable of 1600 X 1200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

6th: whatever but make certain it has USB 2.0 on the front somewhere and audio is pretty common and can be handy for you to decide.

7th: for Hard Drive given your useage I'd reccomend minimum a Seagate 7200.10 seriese drive you aren't paying for the capacity you are paying for the performance and the smallest come in 320gb flavors..... if you have the budget for it and given your intended useage a 2nd drive used in Raid 0 is a reasonable option given the useage.

make certain to get a decent powersupply preferably an Enermax, Seasonic, Antec, or even a nice Fortron and make certain to keep the watts above 400.... they shouldn't be overly expensive and if you stumble across the thermaltake 430's I'd reccomend against one, they do work well but they are cheap for a reason and longevity is a concern.

sorry can't do better until I see the price limit.
February 3, 2007 5:53:33 PM
February 3, 2007 5:55:10 PM

Quote:
With a name like Hottie214, it just smacks of someone trying to get a load of computer geeks all hot and sweaty. 8O

That's exactly what I thought too. Since back in high school (10 years ago for me) when girls that I knew started getting into chat rooms (alamak.com lol) and stuff, they used names like "hottie" "babygirl" and the like, and were usually just airheads that wanted to tease online guys. Now I'm not making any assumptions about you per se, I'm just speaking through 10 years of personal experience.

I realize a lot of guys are very eager to show you "just how gentlemanly" they are, but in complete, blunt honest... with the name "hottie214" and the subject "help a girl out," you got exactly the type of response you asked for. It's like girls that wear a super pushup bra and tight t-shirts cut extremely low and get mad at guys staring at their boobs.

Now... off my soap box... while you do have a decent build going on, and you do have some great suggestions on this thread, that's not a *horrible* price that was quoted from Dell, and if your family is comfortable w/Dell, why not stick w/them?

Personally, I built *my* first computer when *I* saved up the money to build it myself, and when it came time to build it, I didn't have to convince anyone of anything, because it was my money...
February 3, 2007 5:58:21 PM

Quote:
make certain to get a decent powersupply preferably an Enermax, Seasonic, Antec, or even a nice Fortron and make certain to keep the watts above 400.... they shouldn't be overly expensive and if you stumble across the thermaltake 430's I'd reccomend against one, they do work well but they are cheap for a reason and longevity is a concern.

What he said with bells on. PSU for me is most important, been let down way to many times with cheap PSUs.

Quote:

whether your a girl or not really is irrelavent, stating your a girl and then naming yourself "hottie214" is playing on some stereotypes but again totally irrelavent.

Again what he said with bells on. :oops: 

Nice, 1600 x 1200 in a 19" screen is great. Wish i had one.

EDIT: Oops, I can't read. it says 20" on newegg. :oops: 
February 3, 2007 6:03:39 PM

One thing I want to point-out is that nobody ever mentionned the OS. It could greatly impact the budget we have to consider a LEGIT copy of Windows (XP/Vista). So want a LEGIT copy of a Windows OS?

Also, since gaming isn't really an issue, I wouldn't consider a video card over 7600GT and even that is somehow high. But since you are going for video editing, would video output to TV be a feature you could be interested in? If so, standard or HD?
February 3, 2007 6:10:09 PM

First of all Taco your not the nice person you claim to be and you should learn to read it’s “Bad Dad” so STFU.
February 3, 2007 6:15:00 PM

Quote:
One thing I want to point-out is that nobody ever mentionned the OS. It could greatly impact the budget we have to consider a LEGIT copy of Windows (XP/Vista). So want a LEGIT copy of a Windows OS?

Also, since gaming isn't really an issue, I wouldn't consider a video card over 7600GT and even that is somehow high. But since you are going for video editing, would video output to TV be a feature you could be interested in? If so, standard or HD?

THank you!!! I've been trying to get answers out of my topic about the OS too...

is XP pro sp2 really that expensive?? is there any place besides newegg that would be cheaper?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 6:21:34 PM

The E6600 is a little bit stronger than the E6300. You will be able to over clock easily by using THG's hardware over clocking guide the $200 difference is not worth it unless OC'ing the E6600. What will you be using this PC most for editing , gaming, school work, etc.?

Here are the cases:
RAIDMAX O² ATX-302KP Pink 0.7mm SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420Watt: $50

POWMAX CP0327PL-4 Window Black/Silver SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply: $35. (I have this case, pretty nice case. Got it on my P4 @ 3.8GHZ oc'd, good air flow.) :) 

PS: Can some one look in to my post about the Core 2 Duo E6850? :?:
February 3, 2007 6:24:55 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Oops, I can't read. it says 20" on newegg.
lol that's my bad as well I had to go back and edit my post..... still an exceptional display for the intended useage.
Quote:
is XP pro sp2 really that expensive?? is there any place besides newegg that would be cheaper?
it's about $40 more than XP home but to be honest the advantages of using XP pro over home are few and far between and generally restricted to system administrators who need an additional amount of networking support.

XP pro has leff "fluff" in it as well but that can all be disabled and if I was buying an OS I wouldn't hesitate to choose home instead of ponying more for pro.
Quote:
The E6600 is a little bit stronger than the E6300. You will be able to over clock easily by using THG's hardware over clocking guide the $200 difference is not worth it unless OC'ing the E6600.
I have to disagree the E6600 with it's 4mb of cache for video editing and encoding has a substantial performance boost to offer albeit at a cost, and it's well worth the money, overclocking isn't something I addressed earlier and if I was to reccomend specs I'd not reccomend the E6600 as the whole point of overclocking is to get better performance for free not at an additional price.

I still won't address overclocking as I assume the author of the thread plans on keeping his/her/it's system for more than a year and preferably more than 2.
February 3, 2007 6:47:24 PM

For Vista, the prices are (for OEM):
Basic: 95$
Premium: 120$
Ultimate: 200$

For XP SP2 (still OEM):
Home: 90$
Media Center: 110$
Pro: 140$

All these prices are based on NewEggs prices since they are the reference here.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 6:58:07 PM

If these prices are true I might suggests that they should load Vista Premium. :)  . Might have some problems through installation, and other bugs. Not insulting any one here, but i might add that any noob who wishes to not meddle with the Vista, keep away from Vista till SP1 is out, (Microsoft is already starting work on SP1). :cry:  . This is coming from some one who have tested Vista since the 1st MSDN release, and I am currently running Vista RTM on this PC, I'm using to type this.
February 3, 2007 7:02:33 PM

Quote:
it's about $40 more than XP home but to be honest the advantages of using XP pro over home are few and far between and generally restricted to system administrators who need an additional amount of networking support.

XP pro has leff "fluff" in it as well but that can all be disabled and if I was buying an OS I wouldn't hesitate to choose home instead of ponying more for pro.I might be wrong but some softwares might require Pro versions for some features to work. I don't know any related to video editing, and the only one I know about outside of video editing is SQL Server which she will not need. But still it is something that might worth looking into.
February 3, 2007 7:07:37 PM

Some observations

Case: A good line for you to consider is the Antecs. The are well-designed, and the Sonatas come with decent PSUs, for a very reasonable price. Make sure the case has front-mounted prts on it and that they are not awkwardly palced. Only major problem with the Antec cases is that they usually only include a rear case fan, and you have to get your own front fan. A really nice alternative is the Thermaltake Armor Jr. No PSU, but beautiful design. USB etc ports are top-mounted.

WRT CPU choice, see advice given re 4300.

MoBo advice from I_Love_Tacos is good.

Don't get too hung up on the performance specs of the RAM - your intended uses are constrained by the CPU and video card.

Hard Drive: you may want to consider getting two drives. A small drive for your OS and utilities and apps, qand a second large drive for your data. More below.

One pundit here suggested setting up a RAID 0 array. Do NOT do this. I assume that data security is of concern to you. You should check out the following links for more detail:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/ for RAID info

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/single_Level0.htm for info re RAID 0.

RAID 0 provides no data security and hardware level security is lower due to the multplicative nature of errors.

Back to HDD capacity and numbers. If you do decide to go with a single drive, you may want to seriously consider getting something bigger than a 320 GB drive. Video files use up a lot of disc space.

You should seriously consider partitioning any drive you get as follows:

1) Boot / Root partiton (C: in Windows) approx 40 GB for the OS, Utilities (Antiu-virus etc), drivers, and so on.

2) Apps Partition: approx 10 to 20 GB. Put all of your major apps here - Offiice Suites, Video editing software etc.

3) Games Partition: approx 20 to 40 GB, since no one in your family is particlarly into gaming. games tend to generate laots of temporary files and this can lead to fragmentation.

4) Data Partition: create seperate data partitions for all family members. Size required depends on what they are to be used for. Yours should be at least 100 GB for the video files.

I am suggesting this partitioning scheme to isolate the data and apps from the OS. It will also make backing up your data much easier. And if your system is infested by a worm, virus or other malware, your data will be beter protected and unlikely to be lost in case you end up haveing to format and re-install in a very severe infestation. You should seriously consider getting a copy of Partition Magic.

Video card: You should take a very close look at the ATI All-In-Wonder cards. Brilliant at video capture from a wide variety of inputs, pretty good overall performance, and includes pretty decent versions of editing software.

You haven't said anything about the sound sub-system. If you are seriously into video editing, you should carefully consider a standf-alone sound card like the Creative X-Fi Fatality or Platinum. These will provide much better performance and extended capabilities compared to the on-board sound.

You need to budget for any additional specialized software for A/V editing and production software not included with the video or sound card.

I think your decision to build your own system is a good idea. Dell systems are not upgrade-friendly, use proprietary and cheap components and their tech support is a nightmare. There was a post in this forum about a month ago where someone described the experience of watching a Dell system they had upgraded by adding aditional components to and upgrading the video card burn up one day. Not good.

Edit

Do NOT get Vista. It is a resource hog. More critically, it is brand new and contains hidden surprises (mostly unpleasant) that will emerge shortly.

This is a MS product after all.

I would have thought that our collective expeience with this company and its approach to quality and security would have taught us better than to advise someone who has clearly indicated they are not working on the bleeding edge to go there.

As for XP Home vs Pro check out the following link:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-002

Given that you are in fact planning / expecting to have multiple users on the same box, the additonal security features of the Pro version are worth looking at.

Hope this helps.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 7:09:17 PM

Quote:
The E6600 is a little bit stronger than the E6300. You will be able to over clock easily by using THG's hardware over clocking guide the $200 difference is not worth it unless OC'ing the E6600.
I have to disagree the E6600 with it's 4mb of cache for video editing and encoding has a substantial performance boost to offer albeit at a cost, and it's well worth the money, over clocking isn't something I addressed earlier and if I was to recommend specs I'd not recommend the E6600 as the whole point of over clocking is to get better performance for free not at an additional price.

I still won't address over clocking as I assume the author of the thread plans on keeping his/her/it's system for more than a year and preferably more than 2.

Well the E6600 is only ~1500-2000 PCMarks higher than the E6300. :)  !NO!. OC'ing is worth it because it will only reduce the life by 1 year and you still get about 5 years of very stable life, by that time the E6300 will be history :(  .
February 3, 2007 7:09:34 PM

Quote:
For Vista, the prices are (for OEM):
Basic: 95$
Premium: 120$
Ultimate: 200$

For XP SP2 (still OEM):
Home: 90$
Media Center: 110$
Pro: 140$

All these prices are based on NewEggs prices since they are the reference here.

Where are you finding those?? are you sure that the XP sp2 isn't the upgrade **to** sp2??

If you're talking about this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

I think that's just the upgrade...

And I would need pro, because I do local .Net/SQL development work, so that networking stuff is vital to what I do.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 7:15:28 PM

Quote:
You should seriously consider partitioning any drive you get as follows:

1) Boot / Root partiton (C: in Windows) approx 40 GB for the OS, Utilities (Antiu-virus etc), drivers, and so on.

2) Apps Partition: approx 10 to 20 GB. Put all of your major apps here - Offiice Suites, Video editing software etc.

3) Games Partition: approx 20 to 40 GB, since no one in your family is particlarly into gaming. games tend to generate laots of temporary files and this can lead to fragmentation.

4) Data Partition: create seperate data partitions for all family members. Size required depends on what they are to be used for. Yours should be at least 100 GB for the video files.

I am suggesting this partitioning scheme to isolate the data and apps from the OS. It will also make backing up your data much easier. And if your system is infested by a worm, virus or other malware, your data will be beter protected and unlikely to be lost in case you end up haveing to format and re-install in a very severe infestation. You should seriously consider getting a copy of Partition Magic.

Increase the App partition to 40GB, BOOT to 30 GB, And divide the rest equally. NOTE: Formating and Partitioning will reduce the available free space. You could also get a 2nd drive for data back up. True, if partitioning consider Partition Magic, if using a Seagate drive use SeaTools.
February 3, 2007 7:17:11 PM

I find it interesting that this particular post got 40 replies in less than 5 hrs, while others just sit there with no or very few replies perhaps for days. As an example, "Need help for a budget system" was posted at 7:37pm yesterday and got only one reply at 11:36am today and that's ALL. It sat there for 20 hrs (OK, it was overnight). Maybe the gender of the poster is NOT irrelevant. We should all call ourselves "Hottie" and watch the replies just roll in.
February 3, 2007 7:23:10 PM

Wow. I leave for an hour and i get all this help. Thanks a lot. As for the name, when i created this morning i really didnt think it was that big of a deal. Its the name I use for a lot of my e-mails and my school username so its the first thing that came to my mind. If its that big of a deal i'll change it.

I will most likely be upgrading to Vista later on down the line but as of now I will probably keep XP. I'll read up on Vista.

I have though about dual monitors but right now i dont think its best place to spend money. The video cards out today all have dual video outputs anyways. Right?

As the CPU debate, I am 99% sure i am still going to got with the E6600. I've been told by my visual arts teacher who is a complete computer
geek (no offense) that its extra power and 2mb cache will help cut down the encoding times. I realize the E4300 is almost the same as the E6600 but if I dont overclock it than its sucks.

BadDad- Your list is petty much what I'm looking for. I think i'll take yours and Shadows list and pick and choose what parts i need. The oly thing i might change is the memory. As I understand it you need DDR2 667 or 800 to overclock.

As for the video card i think i'll stick with the 7600GT. Just to be future proof incase i or someone else needs the extra power. They're cheap anyways.

Ok-I'll do some research on some stuff and try to post a final build list.

Thanks a lot
Danielle
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 7:43:17 PM

Please check the TGH CPU Charts for CPU comparisons between the E6400 (dont see the E6300 but they are very smiler) and E6600. Also check my post about the E6850. I found this on the following website:http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37811
Since you are going with the E6600 go with the 7900GT, as the graphics card can be a bottle neck.

~Shadow
February 3, 2007 8:06:43 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I thought too. Since back in high school (10 years ago for me) when girls that I knew started getting into chat rooms (alamak.com lol) and stuff, they used names like "hottie" "babygirl" and the like, and were usually just airheads that wanted to tease online guys. Now I'm not making any assumptions about you per se, I'm just speaking through 10 years of personal experience.

I realize a lot of guys are very eager to show you "just how gentlemanly" they are, but in complete, blunt honest... with the name "hottie214" and the subject "help a girl out," you got exactly the type of response you asked for. It's like girls that wear a super pushup bra and tight t-shirts cut extremely low and get mad at guys staring at their boobs.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout :D 

To me though, it smelled more like a chap masquerading as a lady. :twisted:

Hi, I'm juciy_lucy wanna cyber? 8O
February 3, 2007 8:21:49 PM

Quote:

Now that's what I'm talkin bout :D 

To me though, it smelled more like a chap masquerading as a lady. :twisted:

Hi, I'm juciy_lucy wanna cyber? 8O

asl? You sound pritti!
February 3, 2007 8:48:01 PM

Quote:
Where are you finding those?? are you sure that the XP sp2 isn't the upgrade **to** sp2??

If you're talking about this one:

I think that's just the upgrade...
Nope, it's not "just an upgrade". Since OEM are to be sold with systems, it would't be logical to have an OEM upgrade version as the system is supposed to be brand new. I didn't mention upgrade versions in this post since it's supposed to be for a new system and OEM cost less than Retail upgrades.
Quote:
And I would need pro, because I do local .Net/SQL development work, so that networking stuff is vital to what I do.
Depending of the extent of the development you are planning to do, you might want to take a look at SQL Server 2005 Express. I think it's free, integrates into Visual Studio and requires only XP Home SP2, not the Pro.

Phrozt -- You are planning to buy a whole system or just the OS?
February 3, 2007 8:51:51 PM

Shadow what is the E6850? I'd take it that it isnt released yet and will most likely cost more than i am willing to spend. Also is what you said about the graphics card true? Will buying the 7600GT hurt my overall CPU performance?

yuqo- You pretty much nailed what i was looking for. The olny thing i am looking more at is the ASUS P5B Deluxe or the DS3. I really dont need sli and my dad really likes the dual ethernet ports on the P5B Deluxe.

I also forget to mention that i allready have a keyboad and mouse from my old computer.

That 20.1" Sceptre looks like a good monitor for the price although i dont think i've ever heard of that brand.

Thanks a lot
Danielle
February 3, 2007 8:51:58 PM
February 3, 2007 9:07:34 PM

Quote:
I will most likely be upgrading to Vista later on down the line but as of now I will probably keep XP. I'll read up on Vista
I want to point-out two things about Windows licensing. First, you are not "supposed" to install the same license of Windows XP on 2 different PCs. Doing so might invalidate one or BOTH installations ... if they were legit in the first time :p . So you might need to buy a second copy of Windows XP if you want to keep using the old Dell as well. Secondly, when installing an UPGRADE Vista over Windows XP, it invalidates the XP license. This means that you wouldn't be able to run the "legit" versions of Windows XP on the old Dell anymore unless you buy a FULL Windows Vista version which will cost much more AFTER you bought the PC since you will have to go Retail. Fortunately, there is a way to install a Retail Vista Upgrade without prior versions of Windows XP; you can find the info pretty much everywhere on the web. It's not "legal", but we won't tell hahaha!

Sorry to bother you with all this licensing/legal mombo-jumbo crap, but I think it is better to know up-front that having bad surprises.

Quote:
BadDad- Your list is petty much what I'm looking for. I think i'll take yours and Shadows list and pick and choose what parts i need. The only thing i might change is the memory. As I understand it you need DDR2 667 or 800 to overclock.
Mmmm, not sure, but I did some research a while back and I think that if you are not planning to overclock, you might as well go for the 533Mhz DDR2 if it makes you save a few $$$ you could invest elsewhere.
February 3, 2007 9:20:07 PM

Quote:
Shadow what is the E6850? I'd take it that it isnt released yet and will most likely cost more than i am willing to spend. Also is what you said about the graphics card true? Will buying the 7600GT hurt my overall CPU performance?
It will not HURT the CPU performance, but if you do things that are GPU intensive, then the CPU will be feeding the GPU more than it can chew. This is what's called "bottleneck". But to my knowledge, there isn't much about video editing that requirest GPU, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
my dad really likes the dual ethernet ports on the P5B Deluxe.
Might I inquire what he wants to do with 2 ethernet ports? Most of what can be done with it can also be done with a 30-40$ router that will also save you 200$ of electricity over a year (compared to leaving a PC running 24/7).

Quote:

I also forget to mention that i allready have a keyboad and mouse from my old computer.
Is anyone still planning to use this old PC, if so you might need a new set of both ... or a KVM switch. Don't forget speakers as well.
February 3, 2007 9:48:40 PM

Since you want a PC with good video encoding capablilites without having to overclock, then stick with the E6600. When the E6400 and E6600 are clocked at the same speed, the extra 2MB of cache will give you about a 10% boost. Overclocking will easily boost the performance of a CPU and let you choose a less expensive CPU, but since you are hesitant at the moment then just go with the E6600.

THG forum is filled with a lot of gaming enthusiasts and will be pushing you to go with a more powerful GPU like the 7900GT or even a 8800GTS. Since you stated no one will be playing games then stick with the 7600GT since it is inexpensive and it is still considered a good performing GPU.

The following is my recommendation based on your budget.

E6600 CPU + free Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter..........$316
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3...................................................$133 + $6 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

The Gigabyte DS3 is known for it's good overclocking abilities should you decide to do so.

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 675 (PC2 5400).........$185 - $30 Mail-in Rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

By default I recommend Corsair because their RAM is basically bulletproof. They are generally a little more expensive than other brands, but the $30 rebate makes it a very good value. The Core 2 Duo CPUs really only need to DDR2 533 RAM. But if you intend on overclocking in the future then using the Corsair XMS DDR2 675 can easily increase the clock speed from 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz.

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT.............................$110 + $6 shipping - $15 mail-in rebate

This should be enough for moderate gaming at medium quality graphics for most current games. There will a few exceptions where is card will choke, like Oblivion, but since gaming is not a top priority...

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JS 320GB.......................$85 + $6 shipping

If you can convince your dad, drop in another hard drive. It is better to have your operating system and programs on one hard drive and all your data on a separate hard drive.

Pioneer DVD Burner...........................................................$29

COOLER MASTER Centurion 532.........................................$45 + $16 shipping - $15 mail-in rebate

The case is a matter of personal tastes. This is the case I use because the controls and ports are on top of the case. Easily reachable. The mesh design also allows for great airflow good for overclocking and hot video cards. This case does not come with a power supply, it is better to buy a good PSU separately anyway since PSU that comes with computer cases usually sucks.

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN.................................$54 + $8 shipping

This is a good 450w PSU and will allow you do some decent upgrades to your PC in the future.

SCEPTRE X20WC-Gamer Black 20.1".....................................$230 + $14 shipping - $20 rebate

Sceptre is not what I would consider a top tier manufacturer, more like 2nd tier. But still pretty good and fits into your budget.

Microsoft Basic Keyboard and Mouse Combo...........................$17 + $6

Windows XP Home................................................................$90 + $5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1683...

Even though Windows Vista Home is out, I recommend sticking with Windows XP Home instead. Vista is new and is bound to still have some bugs.

The total cost before shipping and rebates is $1,293.91

Total cost after shipping & rebates is $1,262.63.
February 3, 2007 9:58:36 PM

I left out one item, the case I recommend does not come with a rear exhaust fan so you'll need to add one.

MASSCOOL FD12025B1L3/4 120mm Case Fan..................$6 + $4 shipping

You can also save some cash by reusing your current keyboard and mouse. Re-using your floppy drive is also a good idea.
February 3, 2007 10:02:52 PM

the P5b Deluxe is way expensive you have better overclocking abilities IMO with 650i all you have to do is add a network card, pick any one you want for 5 usd or less. I updated my previous post.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2007 10:15:11 PM

She will be doing some GPU intensive tasks such as editing vids, so the 7900GT is a good choice down the road with DX10 consideration.
!