How's this for a good AMD build?

Apeiron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hello, all.

I am wanting to upgrade my aging amd system to the new am2/PCIe/DDR2 format. I have hit some forums and checked the reviews and have come up with this list of items. I would appreciate any input you have as to compatibility and strength of the system.

Processor: AMD Opteron 1212 Santa Ana 2.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor - Retail

Mainboard: DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Memory: OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Video: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Power: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I will be reusing the case, cd drives, and peripherals.

Any recommendations?

Apeiron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I've heard they will fit in an AM2 mboard. Is there any reason to wait until the AM3 mboards come out? If not, I could go with what I have and upgrade K8L later.

LabaR

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
i'm not an "expert" on the whole compatiability thing from AM2 to AM2+/AM3 sockets, but from what I understand they are suppose to be compatible, but some of the new tech. won't work on the AM2 sockets, but i've heard dealing with that, the average user wouldn't notice any difference from one to the next. Ah heck...go for it =)

Apeiron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, being an "instant gratification" sort of guy, it's hard to hear "wait a few/several months" when I have the means to buy now. I've heard that AM3 will have a DDR3 interface but don't know how much better that will be comparatively. If it's like past memory upgrades I imagine I will only be seeing at best a 5-10% boost in speed. Don't know if that's enough to wait for.

pat

Expert
Yes, being an "instant gratification" sort of guy, it's hard to hear "wait a few/several months" when I have the means to buy now. I've heard that AM3 will have a DDR3 interface but don't know how much better that will be comparatively. If it's like past memory upgrades I imagine I will only be seeing at best a 5-10% boost in speed. Don't know if that's enough to wait for.

well, if you wait for something new, you'll wait forever and get nothing. just get what you want when you want it.

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I have to ask, Why AMD?

Why not Intel?

It looks like a good setup, but you could have more power with a core 2 duo, I'm not a fanboy I'm just someone who looks at the facts.

Apeiron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Only_me wrote:

I have to ask, Why AMD?

Why not Intel?

It looks like a good setup, but you could have more power with a core 2 duo, I'm not a fanboy I'm just someone who looks at the facts.

Yeah, I've noticed too that Intel has the edge these days in the desktop processor market. I think I'm more driven by the fact that Intel has a huge market share. I like to support the "little guy" (as if a multibillion dollar company could be called little!) and in this case it is AMD. As most review websites have said, AMD procs are now relegated to mid to low level status (i.e. value). In any case, I will probably support AMD until they get to around 50% market share or they start putting out really crappy products. I don't need tons of processing power and I figure an overclocked Opteron will get me the same power as an Intel chip in the same range.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Interesting article comparing AMD and Intel.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/03/processor_price_performance_02_02_07/

I just putting together an office machine for my wife and AMD is less expensive at the low to middling end and performs as well or better. The X2 3800 is a good example.