Sign in with
Your question

Where to find statistics for cloud computing?

Last response: in Business Computing
June 22, 2011 8:38:04 AM

I'm writing a paper on cloud computing for school. I'd like to cite statics that show productivity and cost savings, over traditional computing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
June 22, 2011 2:20:26 PM

I don't see how cloud computing will increase productivity or enable cost savings. Clouds allow you to access your info from anywhere. Companies don't normally allow data off of there own servers, which is all the cloud you need.

You didn't mean distributed computing did you?
Related resources
July 1, 2011 6:55:33 PM

Quote:
I don't see how cloud computing will increase productivity or enable cost savings. Clouds allow you to access your info from anywhere. Companies don't normally allow data off of there own servers, which is all the cloud you need.
- 4745454b

HP definitely sees cost savings. They are cutting 9,000 job positions to be replaced by cloud computing. Then again, HP can do this worry free since they probably are going to be utilizing their own cloud services (assuming).

As for companies not normally allowing data off their own network, I agree, most companies are not ready for that transition, nor do I believe they ever should be as things sit. Cloud computing is so hot, it is here to stay, the advantages are huge, the question is only how will it evolve?

You have to worry about your data being compromised. Whether its on a personal or business level (or government level - yes US has talks of utilizing the cloud to cut costs, talk about national security issues because of $$$), the ramifications are huge. This is the information age for a reason, Information is business. To trust your information to another company (business) to me is the same as trusting your money to another organization (banks, but thats another story). Its going to take time to change the laws in a way that will make transitioning easier and dare I say safer (no), but in the end, when you give your stuff away, you lose control and power. For example, in the US, laws are written making it difficult for a companies information to be searched at the federal level, but put it in the hands of a 3rd party (ie: cloud service provider), and things change very quickly.

The technology is really amazing and its going to get even better, as you are basically putting supercomputers in the hands of anyone for cheap (ie: IBM's watson costed big $$$, put it in the cloud, and that cost is very different). I see advances in AI being very huge with this technology, but it comes at a cost, your privacy, businesses privacy, so is it worth it, or maybe there's a different solution.

July 2, 2011 1:34:31 AM

Any HP examples?
July 2, 2011 4:06:31 AM

I'm not sure I see the connection. From your link.

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) said Tuesday that it will cut 9,000 jobs over three years and invest $1 billion to focus on new efforts like private cloud infrastructure and desktop-as-a-service. Think of it as phase two of the EDS integration with an emphasis on delivering IT as a service.

The move comes as HP has largely completed its integration of EDS.

Seems that they are cutting jobs due to integrating EDS into their company, not because they have a cloud. Yes, the article said they are spending $$$ to develop a private cloud, but it didn't say the job cuts were because of that.

I'm not sure how a cloud for a business is different then servers. It's the same thing. If a company already has servers (that workers can connect to even if offsite) then they have a cloud.
July 2, 2011 4:39:30 PM

Interesting article, it does indeed not mention EDS at all. It does contain all the other info, so I'm left to wonder if these guys just didn't do the homework, or if the other guys added their own take on things.

Either way I guess this means that if you get a "cloud" (definitely a buzz word right now.) going you can save on support staff. This isn't a given however. If you are a medium company with a small IT staff, implementing a corporate cloud might require you to increase your IT staff to handle the "help me I have no clue what I'm doing" phone calls. In the case of a large/huge corp like HP however, consolidating all their various systems onto one platform seems to free up resources.

I should change my answer to it can free up productivity by allowing easier access to info, and could provide savings by possibly eliminating IT support staff. This will vary greatly however depending on the size of the company and the IT system(s) they already have in place. Hard stats? I don't think you'd find any.
July 3, 2011 6:39:30 AM

I agree, implementing a corporate cloud with a small staff might not do you much good, but in HP's case, def can help save some money.

I think the problem with cloud computing now is that most companies have so much vested and tied into existing infrastructure, that moving to the cloud completely is almost impossible and too adventurous (risky), I think its going to be a gradual change over time, and even then, you still run into the issues of privacy and security of information.

Good chatt'n with you!

!