Weaning off Norton

I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I
have not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and
shortcuts and remove dead entries.

If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?

Thanks.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
17 answers Last reply

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    | I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    | Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I
    | have not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and
    | shortcuts and remove dead entries.
    |
    | If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | GA
    | --
    | My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    A good alternative is to leave XP's registry alone unless there's a specific
    need to edit it. There's nothing to be gained by it unless you're having a
    specific problem.

    Good Morning,
    Some of the Norton Utility programs, and I believe the the Win Doctor
    program you are discussing is one of them, can be run directly from the
    CD. The point: load up the CD and give it a try. Despite the other
    comments, I used it for years without problems. After all, it will only
    do what you allow.
    Gene K

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    > Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I
    > have not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and
    > shortcuts and remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA

    The native defragger has always been in Windows. I used it with 95.

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I have
    >not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and shortcuts and
    >remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Forget about anything Norton..

    This statement also includes late model Norton motorcycles.. the best part
    of a Norton was the 'Featherbed' frame..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I have
    >not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and shortcuts and
    >remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Hi, Gordon.

    Not long after I got my first MS-DOS computer in the early 1980s, I
    discovered the Norton Utilities and used them (DiskEdit was my favorite)
    until the late 1990s. After Symantec bought them from Peter Norton, they
    became more and more fluff and eye candy and less gut-level utilities. By
    Win98, they were beginning to cause me more problems and frustration than
    they were fixing. I've forgotten which was the last full SystemWorks that I
    used; probably the 2000 version.

    When Win2K arrived, in February 2000, NSW became unbearable for me. Win2K's
    built-in utilities did nearly all that I needed done except defrag. WinXP
    needs Norton even less. All I need now is protection from malware arriving
    via the Internet. So I still use Norton Internet Security. The firewall
    protects from outgoing exploits (malware "phoning home", maybe sending my
    SSN or credit card number); the antispam is not really necessary because my
    ISP filters out most of it, but it's good to have the additional filter; and
    a good antivirus is essential - and NAV continues to do a good job for me.
    As for defrag: It's not needed as much with NTFS; WinXP's built-in
    defragger is adequate; and I now use PerfectDisk. WinXP does a much better
    job than Win9x/ME of managing its Registry. I seldom even need such inbuilt
    utilities as Disk Cleanup or Chkdsk.

    Just my experience, which you can add to your databank. My recommendation:
    Use NIS (or a comparable package from other sources) and forget the rest of
    Symantec/Norton's maintenance programs. (I haven't needed utilities like
    Partition Magic or Ghost in a long time, so I can't comment on current
    versions of those.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I have
    >not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and shortcuts and
    >remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA

    I also uninstalled Norton Utilities recently, including my anti-virus and
    switched to AVG (Grisoft), it is free and a lot better than Norton. You can
    download a free copy of EasyCleaner 2.0 which can do as much as Norton
    Utilities and is very effective.
    Free download EasyCleaner 2.0.6.373 :: Registry :: Soft Ideas.com ::

    http://download.soft-ideas.com/registry/easycleaner-2.0.6.373-download-details483.html

    "Byte" <> wrote in message ...
    >I also uninstalled Norton Utilities recently, including my anti-virus and
    > switched to AVG (Grisoft), it is free and a lot better than Norton. You
    > can
    > download a free copy of EasyCleaner 2.0 which can do as much as Norton
    > Utilities and is very effective.
    > Free download EasyCleaner 2.0.6.373 :: Registry :: Soft Ideas.com ::

    Byte,

    Have they made Norton Utilities any easier to uninstall? Can you now do it
    through Windows 'Add and Remove Programs' or do have to use Norton's messy
    uninstall program?

    Regards
    Joe Steele

    Through Add/Remove, but it is simpler to insert the Symantec cd and choose
    to uninstall the components.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message ...

    > Through Add/Remove, but it is simpler to insert the Symantec cd and choose
    > to uninstall the components.

    Thanks for the reply, Colin.

    Joe Steele

    You're welcome.

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message ...
    >
    >> Through Add/Remove, but it is simpler to insert the Symantec cd and
    >> choose
    >> to uninstall the components.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, Colin.
    >
    > Joe Steele

    Gordon, if it's fast and safe defrag you want, then Diskeeper. Run it once
    to defrag, then use function "set it and forget it" - it automatically
    defrags in the backgoround whenever frags =>4% (and you can still elect to
    run it manually - a defrag, after the initial one, typically takes <4 mins).
    As for all the other Norton utilities (AND MORE) I'm using Tune-up Utilities
    2004 http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/ which also includes
    Registry utilities (like, defrag the registry, remove dead entries, and best
    of all a Registry Editor which automatically backs up before edit, AND
    restores original setting if required. It also has a setting to auto-run
    once a day, and a 1-click option to manually run the tests - superb prog!

    Overkill perhaps, I also use pcbugdoctor - a little utility than runs once a
    day, detects and removes all invalid shortcuts it finds (surprising just how
    many XP generates over time, with or without program install/uninstall -
    first run found about 300) Altho there's no explanation in detail, I always
    use "fix errors now" - have yet to encounter a problem using this, after a
    year or so of use.

    All these have been either recommended in this ng, or by links from it in
    posted replies.

    Finally, I fully endorse AVG, especially for cable (always on) connection.
    For those with dial-up, suggest routine update check, these are almost
    daily. And, it's free!

    Hope this helps - Len.

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I have
    >not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and shortcuts and
    >remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    I second the recommendation for Diskeeper 9. Excellent. Download the trial
    copy.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    All these have been either recommended in this ng, or by links from it in
    posted replies.

    Finally, I fully endorse AVG, especially for cable (always on) connection.
    For those with dial-up, suggest routine update check, these are almost
    daily. And, it's free!

    Hope this helps - Len.

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I have
    >not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and shortcuts and
    >remove dead entries.
    >
    > If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Agree, especially the Manx 500cc OHC, ideal for road-racing - you must be
    almost as old as me :-)

    --

    johnf

    > Forget about anything Norton..
    >
    > This statement also includes late model Norton motorcycles.. the best
    > part of a Norton was the 'Featherbed' frame..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >>I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >>Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I
    >>have not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and
    >>shortcuts and remove dead entries.
    >>
    >> If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> GA
    >> --
    >> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Most likely, John

    Tritons rule.. a good pre-unit Bonnie.. Avons back and front.. smokin.. :)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > Agree, especially the Manx 500cc OHC, ideal for road-racing - you must be
    > almost as old as me :-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Forget about anything Norton..
    >>
    >> This statement also includes late model Norton motorcycles.. the best
    >> part of a Norton was the 'Featherbed' frame..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just shifted from win98 se to xp and decided to finally ditch Norton
    >>>Utilities. I see that xp has a native defragger and disk scanner but I
    >>>have not seen anything like win doctor, to check the registry and
    >>>shortcuts and remove dead entries.
    >>>
    >>> If not in windows xp, what are good alternatives to Norton Utilities?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> GA
    >>> --
    >>> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Featherbed frame - that would be around 1954?

    --

    johnf

    > Most likely, John
    >
    > Tritons rule.. a good pre-unit Bonnie.. Avons back and front.. smokin..
    > :)
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Agree, especially the Manx 500cc OHC, ideal for road-racing - you must
    >> be almost as old as me :-)
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> Forget about anything Norton..
    >>>
    >>> This statement also includes late model Norton motorcycles.. the best
    >>> part of a Norton was the 'Featherbed' frame..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message

    For sure.. I just looked up about the year, and found this.. it maybe my
    age, but I would rather have one of these than a modern day plastic
    missile.. a DBD34 Gold Star would be cool too.. proper cafe racers..

    Those were the days.. here are some links for you.. nice Triton, eh..

    http://home.egge.net/~savory/triton.htm

    http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/f2_2.htm

    http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/bsa.html

    --

    > Featherbed frame - that would be around 1954?
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Most likely, John
    >>
    >> Tritons rule.. a good pre-unit Bonnie.. Avons back and front.. smokin..
    >> :)
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >>> Agree, especially the Manx 500cc OHC, ideal for road-racing - you must
    >>> be almost as old as me :-)
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

Norton Microsoft Windows XP