Any way to undo Firmware update on a Samsung DVD Writer?

davsan38

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Installed a brand new Samsung DVD Writer SH-S182M. Used it to do a new XP install so it was working.
When I installed the Nero software it also installed a firmware program which forced me to register and search for a new firmware. It found one and began to install, but failed. Now the burner no longer operates. The door will not open. I tired updating the firmware using another program, power off and on, but no luck.
Is there a way to reset the firmware or do I need to just replace the unit? Thanks,

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Did you go to the Samsung website for the latest firmware? If not, that's where you want to get it. I'd also go into Device Manager and uninstall the DVD write before attempting to do the firmware. This will reinstall the DVD drivers I don't think it's a good idea to ever get firmware from anywhere other than the mfg website.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Installed a brand new Samsung DVD Writer SH-S182M. Used it to do a new XP install so it was working.
When I installed the Nero software it also installed a firmware program which forced me to register and search for a new firmware. It found one and began to install, but failed. Now the burner no longer operates. The door will not open. I tired updating the firmware using another program, power off and on, but no luck.
Is there a way to reset the firmware or do I need to just replace the unit? Thanks,

Sounds like an RMA...... 8O "what firmware update?" 8O

davsan38

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I took the DVD writer out of this computer and put it another computer but was having the same problem. The door would not open.
I tried updating the firmeware again on the second computer but kept getting the "failed" error as well.
I decided to go into safe mode and try updating the firmware and like magic it updated, So the drive is now working.
Damn computers!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I took the DVD writer out of this computer and put it another computer but was having the same problem. The door would not open.
I tried updating the firmeware again on the second computer but kept getting the "failed" error as well.
I decided to go into safe mode and try updating the firmware and like magic it updated, So the drive is now working.
Damn computers!

Happy ending :D