fan controller and temp monitor (hardware)

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
anyone aware of a good fan controller and temp monitor (hardware) with sensors. recently saw one (cooldrive 4) but sensors are optional. looking for suggestions/recommendations... hopefully functional and good looking.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Let me refrase that. I heard elsewhere that optional sensors (cables with sensors at the end) aren't as good as Speedfan. I'm pretty new at this so I may have my facts mixed up :D

Windows Vista Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor X
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Thermaltake Kandalf LCS VD4000WBS (no leaks)
Pioneer DVR-212D DVD/CD Writer
APC Back-UPS XS 1000
Various trick lighting and LEDs

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Well speedfan gets the temp from the temp probe inside the CPU (or something like that. Exact details may be inacurate but you get the idea)

An "optional probe" would have to be external to the CPU, and wouldn't even be able to be installed between the heatsink and the CPU, so an "optional probe" like you mention wouldn't be able to acurately measure the CPU temp.

A probe could measure ambient temp, fan exhaust temp, etc if located properly though.

It would be nice if a LCD screen could be connected to a motherboard and give the CPU core and NB temps.

Would that be able on the Vista Sideshow thingy... to display Speedfan on a external small LCD... dunno