Does Outlook have to be installed *before* ActiveSync ?

May 1, 2005 2:53:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc.marketplace,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia,microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks (More info?)

As I was running the setup for a friend's Dell Axim X5,
the text said "Microsoft recommends that the complimentary copy
of Outlook 2000 be installed before installing ActiveSync".

Is this meant to be taken literally?
What is the practical reason why Outlook has to be installed
*before* installing ActiveSync?

If I don't need to use contacts/appointments (and therefore don't
need Outlook) and I go ahead and install ActiveSync,
does this mean that I won't be able to install Outlook in the future
unless I un-install ActiveSync first?
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:48:41 AM

alan smith wrote:
> Stunning crossposting. It's really not needed and also not relevant
> some of the groups you've chosen- you'll find some people don't
answer
> to such cross posting so may find you don't get answers.

I cross-posted to those groups because I felt it was indeed relevant.
People who use their pocket PCs for multimedia and/or ebooks
have to upload/download files to and from their home computer
(which is what ActiveSync is used for) and who might not necessarily
have a use for Outlook, so by cross-posting to those groups I was
hoping
to access their expertise.

Besides, how would cross-posting to many groups actually discourage
anyone from responding? (unless the groups had no relation
to each other nor to the subject at hand, which wasn't the case here?)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:19:40 PM

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| As I was running the setup for a friend's Dell Axim X5,
| the text said "Microsoft recommends that the complimentary copy
| of Outlook 2000 be installed before installing ActiveSync".
|
| Is this meant to be taken literally?
| What is the practical reason why Outlook has to be installed
| *before* installing ActiveSync?
|
| If I don't need to use contacts/appointments (and therefore don't
| need Outlook) and I go ahead and install ActiveSync,
| does this mean that I won't be able to install Outlook in the future
| unless I un-install ActiveSync first?

Yes.

Stunning crossposting. It's really not needed and also not relevant to
some of the groups you've chosen- you'll find some people don't answer
to such cross posting so may find you don't get answers.
microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsof
t.public.pocketpc.marketplace,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia,micr
osoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks
May 1, 2005 8:25:30 PM

| alan smith wrote:
| > Stunning crossposting. It's really not needed and also not relevant
| > some of the groups you've chosen- you'll find some people don't
| answer
| > to such cross posting so may find you don't get answers.
|
| I cross-posted to those groups because I felt it was indeed relevant.
| People who use their pocket PCs for multimedia and/or ebooks
| have to upload/download files to and from their home computer
| (which is what ActiveSync is used for) and who might not necessarily
| have a use for Outlook, so by cross-posting to those groups I was
| hoping
| to access their expertise.
|
| Besides, how would cross-posting to many groups actually discourage
| anyone from responding? (unless the groups had no relation
| to each other nor to the subject at hand, which wasn't the case
here?)

strange links And desperate justification. They aren't relevant no
matter how long you make your desperate defence.

Oh, and you are welcome for the response to your question that I gave
although you have ignored.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:54:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc.marketplace,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia,microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks (More info?)

No, it does not require Outlook....but...
If you are going to use Outlook for Contact, Calendar, Tasks, etc, then yes
Outlook needs to be there first.. Outlook needs to be there first so that AS
can find it and set itself up to use it. If you install AS first and then
install Outlook, typically you just need to re-install AS to set up the
relationship.

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As I was running the setup for a friend's Dell Axim X5,
> the text said "Microsoft recommends that the complimentary copy
> of Outlook 2000 be installed before installing ActiveSync".
>
> Is this meant to be taken literally?
> What is the practical reason why Outlook has to be installed
> *before* installing ActiveSync?
>
> If I don't need to use contacts/appointments (and therefore don't
> need Outlook) and I go ahead and install ActiveSync,
> does this mean that I won't be able to install Outlook in the future
> unless I un-install ActiveSync first?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:46:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc.marketplace,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia,microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks (More info?)

Hi,
You don't have to install Outlook before ActiveSync however ActiveSync won't
use Outlook to sync with your PC until you install ActiveSync is installed
after Outlook.

So if you want to sync with Outlook you should install ActiveSync after
Outlook even if ActiveSync is already installed. You don't have to
uninstall ActiveSync before reinstalling it.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As I was running the setup for a friend's Dell Axim X5,
> the text said "Microsoft recommends that the complimentary copy
> of Outlook 2000 be installed before installing ActiveSync".
>
> Is this meant to be taken literally?
> What is the practical reason why Outlook has to be installed
> *before* installing ActiveSync?
>
> If I don't need to use contacts/appointments (and therefore don't
> need Outlook) and I go ahead and install ActiveSync,
> does this mean that I won't be able to install Outlook in the future
> unless I un-install ActiveSync first?

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:06:27 AM

In article <1114958921.779636.255540@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com says...
> alan smith wrote:
> > Stunning crossposting. It's really not needed and also not relevant
> > some of the groups you've chosen- you'll find some people don't
> answer
> > to such cross posting so may find you don't get answers.

....snip...
> Besides, how would cross-posting to many groups actually discourage
> anyone from responding? (unless the groups had no relation
> to each other nor to the subject at hand, which wasn't the case here?

Because many people assume that any post that is cross-posted to more
than x groups must be Spam and their newsreader will automatically mark
them as read and the user will never see them. My newsreader is set to
"delete" posts with more than 5 groups so your post just slides under the
wire.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:14:29 AM

In article <MPG.1ce0a6b251e68e3b9896c1@msnews.microsoft.com>,
keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net says...
> In article <1114958921.779636.255540@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com says...
> > alan smith wrote:
> > > Stunning crossposting. It's really not needed and also not relevant
> > > some of the groups you've chosen- you'll find some people don't
> > answer
> > > to such cross posting so may find you don't get answers.
> >
> ...snip...
> > Besides, how would cross-posting to many groups actually discourage
> > anyone from responding? (unless the groups had no relation
> > to each other nor to the subject at hand, which wasn't the case here?
>
> Because many people assume that any post that is cross-posted to more
> than x groups must be Spam and their newsreader will automatically mark
> them as read and the user will never see them. My newsreader is set to
> "delete" posts with more than 5 groups so your post just slides under the
> wire.

PS: And to answer you original query. You don't need to install Outlook.
On my work PC I have Outlook linked to my PPC for my calendar, contacts,
etc. At home I just installed AS which enables me to transfer files.
!