File Association Problem

I'm running XP Pro. My son was at some game site, downloaded something, and
now all of my associations for .jpg, /jpeg, ,bmp, .tif, and .tiff files
(plus probably others I haven't checked!) are all pointing to Paint Shop
Pro!

What they all be pointing at? How do I get XP to open these files properly?

Thanks!

Ross
6 answers Last reply
More about file association problem

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I'm running XP Pro. My son was at some game site, downloaded
    > something, and now all of my associations for .jpg, /jpeg, ,bmp,
    > .tif, and .tiff files (plus probably others I haven't checked!) are
    > all pointing to Paint Shop Pro!

    I doubt your son found Paint Shop Pro at a game site, but whatever.

    > What they all be pointing at? How do I get XP to open these files
    > properly?

    If by "properly" you mean the default picture- and fax viewer you may wish
    to take a look at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

    I think through the magic of little fingers, he found my copy of PSP
    actually. They have nothing for .GIF, it appears.......

    Otherwise....it appears to work. Thanks!

    > > I'm running XP Pro. My son was at some game site, downloaded
    > > something, and now all of my associations for .jpg, /jpeg, ,bmp,
    > > .tif, and .tiff files (plus probably others I haven't checked!) are
    > > all pointing to Paint Shop Pro!
    >
    > I doubt your son found Paint Shop Pro at a game site, but whatever.
    >
    > > What they all be pointing at? How do I get XP to open these files
    > > properly?
    >
    > If by "properly" you mean the default picture- and fax viewer you may wish
    > to take a look at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

    Anyone know how to get .GIF's to work? Have a .REG file?

    Thanks!

    Ross
    "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message

    > I think through the magic of little fingers, he found my copy of PSP
    > actually. They have nothing for .GIF, it appears.......
    >
    > Otherwise....it appears to work. Thanks!

    Hi Ross, how are you?

    You might try IrfanView for the .GIF, it's free and a pretty good viewer:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Anyone know how to get .GIF's to work? Have a .REG file?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross
    > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I think through the magic of little fingers, he found my copy of PSP
    >> actually. They have nothing for .GIF, it appears.......
    >>
    >> Otherwise....it appears to work. Thanks!

    (Michael and I do back a Millenium! Maybe two.)

    Michael! How are ya? Havn't heard from you in years!

    Just installed and tried IrfanView. Perfect! Many Thanks!

    Ross

    > Hi Ross, how are you?
    >
    > You might try IrfanView for the .GIF, it's free and a pretty good viewer:
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know how to get .GIF's to work? Have a .REG file?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Ross
    > > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I think through the magic of little fingers, he found my copy of PSP
    > >> actually. They have nothing for .GIF, it appears.......
    > >>
    > >> Otherwise....it appears to work. Thanks!

    You're welcome, Ross, glad you liked it.

    I'll send you an e-mail.

    --

    > (Michael and I do back a Millenium! Maybe two.)
    >
    > Michael! How are ya? Havn't heard from you in years!
    >
    > Just installed and tried IrfanView. Perfect! Many Thanks!
    >
    > Ross
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ross, how are you?
    >>
    >> You might try IrfanView for the .GIF, it's free and a pretty good viewer:
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    >> > Anyone know how to get .GIF's to work? Have a .REG file?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >
    >> > Ross
    >> > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message

Windows XP Microsoft File Association