A very p!ssed of AMD enthusiast! Shall I jump ship to Intel?

Okay, here's the deal...

I have my AMD X2 4600+ (2.4Ghz) overclocked to 2.6GHz using Cas 5 Corsair 6400 ram. All is good until I read an article claiming that AMD needs Ram with better timings rather than faster ram. Taking this into account, and needing another 1GB Ram anyway, I purchased a 2GB Crucial Ballistix Cas 4 (4-4-4-12), which overclocks like nuts.

However, the only way I can get the Crucial to work with my overclock is to loosen the timings i.e. go to Cas 5. I was already on Cas 5 with 1 GB Corsair before hand.

My first question is, what has better performance for AMD:

DDR2 800MHz @ 5-5-5-12 (Cas 5) OR DDR2 677MHz @ 4-4-4-12

Secondly, if timings are not an issue for Intel, and speed is important, should I just go down the Core 2 Duo route, bearing in mind that the Ballistix can go to 1000Mhz?

What do you guys think? Man, I'm so p!ssed. I thought I finally had DDR2 800Mhz Cas4 ram with my overclock, guess not...
37 answers Last reply
More about ssed enthusiast jump ship intel
  1. Quote:
    Okay, here's the deal...

I have my AMD X2 4600+ (2.4Ghz) overclocked to 2.6GHz using Cas 5 Corsair 6400 ram. All is good until I read an article claiming that AMD needs Ram with better timings rather than faster ram. Taking this into account, and needing another 1GB Ram anyway, I purchased a 2GB Crucial Ballistix Cas 4 (4-4-4-12), which overclocks like nuts.

However, the only way I can get the Crucial to work with my overclock is to loosen the timings i.e. go to Cas 5. I was already on Cas 5 with 1 GB Corsair before hand.

Secondly, if timings are not an issue for Intel, and speed is important, should I just go down the Core 2 Duo route, bearing in mind that the Ballistix can go to 1000Mhz?

What do you guys think? Man, I'm so p!ssed. I thought I finally had DDR2 800Mhz Cas4 ram with my overclock, guess not...

Your too much, in reality, those things would probably boost your gaming experience by 1 - 3 FPS which your eyes wont even notice a difference unless you have a stinker gfx card. If you dont play games, then the timing or speed of RAM probably boosts your Applications by 1 - 5 seconds accordingly which to most of us is "who gives a shit about 5 secs?"

If you want something extremely fast, just get a X6800 or QX6700 ?!?!?!
  2. Quote:
    Okay, here's the deal...

Well, if you can change platforms, go for it. I guess it is difficult knowing there's something "faster" than you have so the choice is yours. You can get a Core 2 and mobo for about $400 depending on which one you get.

The difference in memory is because
    1. AMD uses an internal memory controller which is affected by latency

2. AMD has gone to DDR2 and they have to better implement RAM dividers so that RAM runs at it's rated speed.

In the minimal tests I've done with the two (Digital Life 2006), I can say that you will hardly be able to tell the difference without benchmarks.

Again, if it would make you feel better to get Core 2 go for it. It's your money.
  3. Quote:
    Okay, here's the deal...

I think you'd be crazy to switch, just because of the RAM speed/latencies. You said all was good until you read some articles, so remember that. I'm sure it performs fine, and a 10-20% increase in power isn't worth the potential cost. GL :)
  4. Thanks, for the quick response guys. I really appreciate it.

Well, having read all your comments, do you guys suggest I return the Ballistix, and get some overclockable Cas5 (cheaper) ram instead?
  5. :?: Have you tried your own benchmarks? Sounds to me like your gettin caught up in the team Green vs team Blue hype :!: THG forumz is overrun by intel fanboys, bad place to ask 8O
  6. Well, that is a good point. I could always test the Cas 5 and Cas 4 ram on the stock CPU settings...
  7. Quote:
    Well, that is a good point. I could always test the Cas 5 and Cas 4 ram on the stock CPU settings...

I don't think you'll see anything "noticeable" in the real world. I'd say return the last purchase and try turning the CAS rate down slowly. Most good 667/800 will do 4-3-4-9. You may need to tweak the RAM voltage slightly.
  8. The truth is that intel is paying all the people here to favor itself. /sarcasm

it has nothing to do with the fact that since august 2006 c2d is the best thing out there. When k8l is out maybe amd will be the best thing. But right now intel is the way to go.
  9. Quote:
    :?: Have you tried your own benchmarks? Sounds to me like your gettin caught up in the team Green vs team Blue hype :!: THG forumz is overrun by intel fanboys, bad place to ask 8O

(A picture is worth a thousand words)
  10. This is certainly not a question of AMD or Intel' every system when overclocked has such drawbacks. The problem is that you spent a lot of money, on an upgrade that will at most improve your performance by 5% (?!), so return the CL4 RAM if you can and wait for an AM2 K8L upgrade for your system to see some real performance boost.
  11. Quote:
    :?: Have you tried your own benchmarks? Sounds to me like your gettin caught up in the team Green vs team Blue hype :!: THG forumz is overrun by intel fanboys, bad place to ask 8O

Yes, and half of those with a green avatar are spies. :lol:
  12. As others said, you can only notice the difference between the CL4 & CL5 DDR2-800 on the benchmarks score. It is a waste of money to get a whole new mainboard and CPU, just because the new mainboard and CPU can work more efficient with the RAM you have.
  13. Quote:
    so return the CL4 RAM if you can and wait for an AM2 K8L upgrade for your system to see some real performance boost.

That is definitely what I will do now.

I have been reading about AM2+ and AM3 and how the K8L processor is backwards compatible with AM2. What are the current rumors regarding the release of the new K8L Barcelona CPU :?:
  14. I just added 2x512 of the exact same set of 4-4-4-12 6400 to my system and I had to drop from 4-3-3-8 to 4-4-4-10 when I go to 2.6G.

OH MY F***IN' GOD!!!!!!!!! I went from 105FPS in Doom3 to 104.2FPS!

Somebody hold me.

I think I'm gonna puke...
  15. Find something else to be pissed at: like the fact you have NO LIFE!
  16. I'd only recommend upgrading to Intel if you're going for a massive overclock with an E6600 or higher, or you plan on getting an Intel quadcore.
  17. Promises are stellar for now; 40% over Core2, and if they keep even a 1/2 ratio on them you'll be just fine (and those with a S939 CPU like me p|ssed :cry: ).
  18. Quote:
    I have my AMD X2 4600+ (2.4Ghz) ......All is good until I read an article
    I highly reccomend you no longer read articles it will save you money and time.

I have 2 AMD Athlon 64's 1 dual core Opteron at the house along with my C2D water cooled unit all have 2 gb's of memory and X18 or X1900 XT's for graphics, in using them side by the the C2D is a little faster while the Opteron multitasks better.

your entire post connected to your title is incredibly trivial.
  19. Quote:

That guy actually says " Oh, I see....ha ha ha ha .....all right !!!!!
    Just before Zheng puts foot in all of their a**es.
  20. lol, but the face on that guy is priceless...
  21. Quote:
    Find something else to be pissed at: like the fact you have NO LIFE!

Who's that to? Better not be me, mate ;D
  22. I challenge you, I DARE you, to find a single prejudiced post in this thread aside from yours. You little SH*T. arrogant pricks like you who think you have the right to judge everyone because YOU'RE SOOOO PERFECT! WELL GUESS WHAT YOU CAN GO F*CK YOURSELF BECAUSE I'M FED UP WITH N00BS COMING HERE AND CALLING EVERYONE BIASED YOU KNOW J4CK SH1T BUT BECAUSE YOUR KINDERGARTEN TEACHER GAVE YOU A STICKER TODAY YOU SUDDENLY FEEL LIKE A BIG MAN DON'T YOU? F*CK OFF AND NEVER COME BACK what I meant to say was that that I think someone switched out my prozac and replaced it with pure e-testosterone or something. Suddenly feels like it doesn't matter anymore though. Don't know why...

...oohh. Crap.
  23. To tell you the truth, this latency timing non sense is plain silly. I just hope they sort it out for AM3. Anyways, I will be returning the Ram for some cheaper Cas5 ram.

For the people who think my question is "trivial". I had a perfectly genuine question regarding performance between timings and ram speed, one which many people may find confusing. I had invested in expensive ram for the sake of Cas4 which only runs as Cas5 stable with my overclock, when obviously (now I know) it only makes no more than 5% performance increase compared to Cas5, which is not worth it.

Just don't hate man.
  24. Quote:
    Find something else to be pissed at: like the fact you have NO LIFE!

You're very intelligent, aren't you... :roll:
  25. Quote:
    I challenge you, I DARE you, to find a single prejudiced post in this thread aside from yours. You little SH*T. arrogant pricks like you who think you have the right to judge everyone because YOU'RE SOOOO PERFECT! WELL GUESS WHAT YOU CAN GO F*CK YOURSELF BECAUSE I'M FED UP WITH N00BS COMING HERE AND CALLING EVERYONE BIASED YOU KNOW J4CK SH1T BUT BECAUSE YOUR KINDERGARTEN TEACHER GAVE YOU A STICKER TODAY YOU SUDDENLY FEEL LIKE A BIG MAN DON'T YOU? F*CK OFF AND NEVER COME BACK what I meant to say was that that I think someone switched out my prozac and replaced it with pure e-testosterone or something. Suddenly feels like it doesn't matter anymore though. Don't know why...

...oohh. Crap.

Well said, same goes to Mobius...
  26. Quote:
    I challenge you, I DARE you, to find a single prejudiced post in this thread aside from yours. You little SH*T. arrogant pricks like you who think you have the right to judge everyone because YOU'RE SOOOO PERFECT! WELL GUESS WHAT YOU CAN GO F*CK YOURSELF BECAUSE I'M FED UP WITH N00BS COMING HERE AND CALLING EVERYONE BIASED YOU KNOW J4CK SH1T BUT BECAUSE YOUR KINDERGARTEN TEACHER GAVE YOU A STICKER TODAY YOU SUDDENLY FEEL LIKE A BIG MAN DON'T YOU? F*CK OFF AND NEVER COME BACK what I meant to say was that that I think someone switched out my prozac and replaced it with pure e-testosterone or something. Suddenly feels like it doesn't matter anymore though. Don't know why...

...oohh. Crap.

Well said, same goes to Mobius...
    To clarify, that was more of a joke/parody. Of course speedemon is entitled to his opinion. Still, feel free to use it(for a trivial fee).
  27. I think speedemon said it in good heart. But Mobius, what a c*nt... :evil:
  28. Quote:

Yes, and half of those with a green avatar are spies. :lol:

So what are you trying to say :P
  29. Are you running the old RAM as well as the new RAM?
  30. Quote:

That guy actually says " Oh, I see....ha ha ha ha .....all right !!!!!
    Just before Zheng puts foot in all of their a**es.

LOL! Bruce Lee's "The Chinese Connection" (Fists of Fury in Asia). This guy is the late Fong Ai who taught Bruce Lee judo in real life.
  31. i like my timings set at 36- 24- 38

everything else is a waste :twisted:
  32. Quote:
    i like my timings set at 36- 24- 38

everything else is a waste :twisted:

Mine are at 42-42-42
  33. Quote:
    To tell you the truth, this latency timing non sense is plain silly. I just hope they sort it out for AM3. Anyways, I will be returning the Ram for some cheaper Cas5 ram.

For the people who think my question is "trivial". I had a perfectly genuine question regarding performance between timings and ram speed, one which many people may find confusing. I had invested in expensive ram for the sake of Cas4 which only runs as Cas5 stable with my overclock, when obviously (now I know) it only makes no more than 5% performance increase compared to Cas5, which is not worth it.

Just don't hate man.

The L3 they are introducing will pretty much erase latency issues, especially in single-threaded apps as AMD reports that one core CAN use the whole 2MB L3.

Like i said, you won't see a big difference and when Kuma comes out you should get a NICE increase.
  34. ...guess it had to do with James Bond.
  35. Quote:

Considering my previous 7 processors were all AMD, I think my input might be "non-biased". I've had a 2000+, 2400+, 2800+ Socket A. I've had a 3200+ 754. I've had a 3000+, 3800+, and a 4400+ X2 939. I thought the 4400 X2 was the end all, be all. I built my current setup out of curiosity, after hearing all of the buzz. The buzz was right. This spanks the 4400+ all the way around and it overclocks like there's no tomorrow. The only thing I might have changed is maybe getting a E6400 instead, only because of the higher OC potential over stock. It turns out that the P965 chipset has a trick up it's sleeve. It seems that dropping the stock multiplier from say 8x to 7x actually increases the northbridge FSB. My computer runs considerably better at 8x450mhz compared to 9x400mhz. Both settings come out to 3.6 ghz. But the 8x450 actually increases the northbridge fsb to 506, instead of 450. That also increases my CPU to 4.05ghz, several tests confirm it. Here's the link to the article that showed all the math...
    http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30

Now as for the original author's query, If you're that dissappointed in AMD's layout/performance, I'd wait a few months for the Intel Core 2 Duo;s prices to drop, as they're scheduled to. The E6300 is supposed to drop from the 180s to $113! :wink:
  36. Quote:
    lol, but the face on that guy is priceless...

Oh I forgot, he "gulped" heavely after his boys got beat up with that same face on lol.
    It's from Chinese Connection, USA release name.
  37. Quote:

Considering my previous 7 processors were all AMD, I think my input might be "non-biased". I've had a 2000+, 2400+, 2800+ Socket A. I've had a 3200+ 754. I've had a 3000+, 3800+, and a 4400+ X2 939. I thought the 4400 X2 was the end all, be all. I built my current setup out of curiosity, after hearing all of the buzz. The buzz was right. This spanks the 4400+ all the way around and it overclocks like there's no tomorrow. The only thing I might have changed is maybe getting a E6400 instead, only because of the higher OC potential over stock. It turns out that the P965 chipset has a trick up it's sleeve. It seems that dropping the stock multiplier from say 8x to 7x actually increases the northbridge FSB. My computer runs considerably better at 8x450mhz compared to 9x400mhz. Both settings come out to 3.6 ghz. But the 8x450 actually increases the northbridge fsb to 506, instead of 450. That also increases my CPU to 4.05ghz, several tests confirm it. Here's the link to the article that showed all the math...
    http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30

Now as for the original author's query, If you're that dissappointed in AMD's layout/performance, I'd wait a few months for the Intel Core 2 Duo;s prices to drop, as they're scheduled to. The E6300 is supposed to drop from the 180s to $113! :wink:

I also jumped ship to INTEL after having 4 AMD rigs in spite of my like for AMD the performace just wasn't there when I built my last rig so E6400 was the winner. If you can get by I would wait for the price drop in Q2 if you want to go Core2Duo. You can of course wait for AMD to take the performance crown back but who actually knows when that is.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM AMD