Multiple Floors per Area

I was wondering what people thought of modules that put multiple floors
of the same building in the same area (vs. one floor per area). I have
noticed that quite a few modules do this. I see some pluses & minuses:

It avoids having to load a new area which makes it quicker.

Henchman don't follow. I would think it would be possible to script
around this, but in the modules I've seen implement multiple floors per
area, they don't. I've had it happen where I go to the new floor, find
a ton of enemies, and my henchman is left behind and cannot help me.

Resting can end up being prohibited by the game saying enemies too near
when they are actually on the other floor. I have mixed emotions about
this one. If it's two separate areas, you are allowed to rest. But
what logic is there in resting in the first floor of a house when there
are still enemies on the second? On the other hand, if you just
expended a lot clearing out the first floor, it's nice having a breather
before tackling would could be a heavier battle on the second.

Thanks for the opinions!

- W. Citoan
--
The universe is not hostile, nor get is it friendly. It is simply
indifferent.

W. Citoan wrote:
> I was wondering what people thought of modules that put multiple
> floors of the same building in the same area (vs. one floor per
> area). I have noticed that quite a few modules do this. I see some
> pluses & minuses:
>
> It avoids having to load a new area which makes it quicker.

OTOH the areas will become larger, which may slow down the frame rate.

> Henchman don't follow. I would think it would be possible to script
> around this, but in the modules I've seen implement multiple floors
> per area, they don't. I've had it happen where I go to the new
> floor, find a ton of enemies, and my henchman is left behind and
> cannot help me.

This issue is easily fixed by a small transportation script - frequently used with hidden doors.

> Resting can end up being prohibited by the game saying enemies too
> near when they are actually on the other floor. I have mixed
> emotions about this one. If it's two separate areas, you are
> allowed to rest. But what logic is there in resting in the first
> floor of a house when there are still enemies on the second? On the
> other hand, if you just expended a lot clearing out the first floor,
> it's nice having a breather before tackling would could be a heavier
> battle on the second.

You could avoid this if you don't place the enemies at design time, but spawn them in by triggers or enconters. If the triggers are
placed directly after the entrances, you may rest in the parts you have cleared already.

Generally spoken, if the place is only a small house with a size up to 2x4 tiles, I would think about to place the floors in the
same area. If it's a large castle or a dungeon with 8x8 tiles or even more, then it's probably a better idea to split them into
separate areas.

Hans

Hans Wein wrote:
> W. Citoan wrote:
> >
> > It avoids having to load a new area which makes it quicker.
>
> OTOH the areas will become larger, which may slow down the frame
> rate.

Good point...

> > Henchman don't follow. I would think it would be possible to script
> > around this, but in the modules I've seen implement multiple floors
> > per area, they don't. I've had it happen where I go to the new
> > floor, find a ton of enemies, and my henchman is left behind and
> > cannot help me.
>
> This issue is easily fixed by a small transportation script -
> frequently used with hidden doors.

That is what I thought. Which is why it surprises me that most modules
I played that have the multiple floors, don't do this...

> > Resting can end up being prohibited by the game saying enemies too
> > near when they are actually on the other floor. I have mixed
> > emotions about this one. If it's two separate areas, you are
> > allowed to rest. But what logic is there in resting in the first
> > floor of a house when there are still enemies on the second? On the
> > other hand, if you just expended a lot clearing out the first floor,
> > it's nice having a breather before tackling would could be a heavier
> > battle on the second.
>
> You could avoid this if you don't place the enemies at design time,
> but spawn them in by triggers or enconters. If the triggers are
> placed directly after the entrances, you may rest in the parts you
> have cleared already.

As I said, I have mixed emotions about this part. I don't like very
restrictive no resting modules, but being able to rest everywhere can be
illogical.

> Generally spoken, if the place is only a small house with a size up
> to 2x4 tiles, I would think about to place the floors in the same
> area. If it's a large castle or a dungeon with 8x8 tiles or even
> more, then it's probably a better idea to split them into separate
> areas.

Good advice. If I ever produce something worthwhile, I'll keep it in
mind. :)

- W. Citoan
--
....If you can measure that of which you speak, and can express it by a
number, you know something of your subject.