Akai 55" RPTV?

I'm thinking of replacing my current TV which is an old Sony 32" Trinatron
from 92' or so as it's on the fritz. I'd like to get a wide screen tv for
no more than 2500Cdn.

I see Costco here has a TV made by 'Akai' (who are they?) for 1900Cdn it's a
55" but of course my spider sense is tingling as all too often you get what
you pay for.

The Model number is PT5598HD

Advice / Suggestions?

Thank you :)
8 answers Last reply
More about akai rptv

    "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in

    > I'm thinking of replacing my current TV which is an old Sony 32"
    > Trinatron from 92' or so as it's on the fritz. I'd like to get a
    > wide screen tv for no more than 2500Cdn.
    >
    > I see Costco here has a TV made by 'Akai' (who are they?) for 1900Cdn
    > it's a 55" but of course my spider sense is tingling as all too often
    > you get what you pay for.
    >
    > The Model number is PT5598HD
    >
    > Advice / Suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you :)

    Have you tried looking at http://www.epinions.com

    Dave

    "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of replacing my current TV which is an old Sony 32" Trinatron
    > from 92' or so as it's on the fritz. I'd like to get a wide screen tv
    for
    > no more than 2500Cdn.
    >
    > I see Costco here has a TV made by 'Akai' (who are they?) for 1900Cdn it's
    > 55" but of course my spider sense is tingling as all too often you get
    what
    > you pay for.
    >
    > The Model number is PT5598HD
    >
    > Advice / Suggestions?

    The buzz on avsforum is that they're basically rebadged samsungs. The
    general consensus seems to be Hitachi or Toshiba for RPTV's ( reasonably
    priced one's, anyway, mitsubishi has some nice expensive ones ). If you do
    consider it - make *sure* it has a DVI input - that may become important
    down the road.

    You can get a 51" Hitachi (51F500) for under 2500 in Canada - and you'd
    probably be better off.

    Tom

    Thx Tomhas for your suggestion, it got me looking a little closer at Hitachi
    models and I decided upon the 51S500 which I'll hopefully be picking up this
    week.

    tsc

    "Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message
    > "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in
    >

    > Have you tried looking at http://www.epinions.com
    >

    > Dave

    No epinions found for that tv.

    > Thx Tomhas for your suggestion, it got me looking a little closer at
    Hitachi
    > models and I decided upon the 51S500 which I'll hopefully be picking up
    this
    > week.
    >
    > tsc

    Excellent tv indeed - I would have suggested it as a top choice for you if
    I thought you could get one for under 2500 CDN.

    Tom

    Well it will either set me back 3000 Cdn new or there is a floor model in ok
    shape for 2300. Since I plan on having this bad-boy for at least the next 5
    years or more I would rather get new I think (plus you get that 'new tv'
    smell) not that saving 700 wouldn't be nice also ;)

    > Well it will either set me back 3000 Cdn new or there is a floor model in
    ok
    > shape for 2300. Since I plan on having this bad-boy for at least the next
    5
    > years or more I would rather get new I think (plus you get that 'new tv'
    > smell) not that saving 700 wouldn't be nice also ;)

    Definately get the new model.

    Floor models have a bad tendency to be run in high contrast settings that
    will cause burn in. I *really* wouldn't recommend one. When you do get it,
    either get a video adjustment dvd, or at the very least adjust the contrast
    to around 50 percent to avoid said problem.

    Tom

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:51:32 +0000, TheSingingCat wrote:

    > I see Costco here has a TV made by 'Akai' (who are they?) for 1900Cdn it's
    > a 55" but of course my spider sense is tingling as all too often you get
    > what you pay for.
    >
    > The Model number is PT5598HD

    In this area the same set is available at Sam's Club (similar to Costco)
    for US$1300. I bought one last weekend, and I like it! There was a lengthy
    thread about it on the HDTV Voice forum (you can find it in Google). The
    full model number of mine is PT5598HDIX.

    General feature list: 2 antenna inputs, one with ATSC tuner; two (I think)
    composite video inputs; 2 component video inputs; 1 DVI input. Given the
    price, the inclusion of the ATSC tuner is a nice bonus.
    --
    Gerry Wheeler
    Naples, FL

HDTV TV Sony Home Theatre