Drive Letter Change - Program and Application Paths

Hi, Recently I had to reload XP and for some reason, probably by me not
paying attention, the drive letter became "D", or the boot drive and my
secondary drive "C" I would like to change "D" back to "C" and vice versa.
Problem is, when I did this following Microsoft's procedure in their
knowledge base, programs that pointed to "D" no longer function properly
displaying an error message to an incorrect path. Anyone know of a solution
or work around for this problem?

Thanks,
dphkr

The one drive letter you cannot change is the system drive. This happens to
people when a second drive is hooked during a reinstallation. Disconnect
all drives, including any zip drives and such, and reinstall Windows. If
you don't some software may not function correctly down the line.

"dphkr" <dphkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Recently I had to reload XP and for some reason, probably by me not
> paying attention, the drive letter became "D", or the boot drive and my
> secondary drive "C" I would like to change "D" back to "C" and vice versa.
> Problem is, when I did this following Microsoft's procedure in their
> knowledge base, programs that pointed to "D" no longer function properly
> displaying an error message to an incorrect path. Anyone know of a
> solution
> or work around for this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> dphkr

You need to manually "repoint" the older software by changing the
destination path in the properties. Just righ click the shortcut and change
the D to a C and it should be OK.

"dphkr" <dphkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Recently I had to reload XP and for some reason, probably by me not
> paying attention, the drive letter became "D", or the boot drive and my
> secondary drive "C" I would like to change "D" back to "C" and vice versa.
> Problem is, when I did this following Microsoft's procedure in their
> knowledge base, programs that pointed to "D" no longer function properly
> displaying an error message to an incorrect path. Anyone know of a
> solution
> or work around for this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> dphkr

GreP

Actually, there is a way to do it, but it's a little ugly. I've done it
following these instructions, though - it worked well.

http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188/

Good luck!

grep

Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> The one drive letter you cannot change is the system drive. This happens to
> people when a second drive is hooked during a reinstallation. Disconnect
> all drives, including any zip drives and such, and reinstall Windows. If
> you don't some software may not function correctly down the line.

Hi,

Not recommended, as you will never get all the pointers right. The second
article only applies when the drive letter was changed accidentally away
from its original designation in the first place.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone