Switching between speaker / headset setup

Yaramir

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I have this soundcard:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=14066
with XP Media Center 2005 (SP2)

I have a headset and a pair of speakers. Currently, if I want to switch from one to the other, I have to disconnect one and reconnect the other on my sound card. When I have both things connected, only the one connected to the first (left-most) speaker input plays any sound.

I would like to be able to keep both connected and switch between them using either the sound card software or Windows, but I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, I appreciate it.

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
You can buy a Y splitter and use that! Plug the Y splitter into your audio out jack, and your headphones into one part, and the speakers into the other part. Will just have to turn off your speakers when you want to use your headphones. Local electronics store will have Y splitters for fairly cheap!

Tulsaboyw

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
In my case, I can go to the control panel and switch and would prefer a software way to do this.

Headset is usb based headset for sound & mic.

Speakers are the built in ones to the Monitor.
Monitor is a high end flatpanel widescreen.

I have no intention of getting a ysplitter as the control panel method is better in this case anyway.

What I would love to see is a software way (a pushbtn software switch) to do what I have to do manually via control panel SOUND.