more connection woes on pocket PC

May 1, 2005 7:45:15 PM

I have tried some suggestions from another posting but stilhaving
problems gtting my Pocket PC (Assus a730W) to connect to the internet
through my D-Link wireless modem (DI-624)

I've set the modem so that the "g"format is off. I've tried with or
without WEP and with or without firewall. I've released and renewed my
IP address.

If put the PPC in the cradle it will connect to the internet just
fine but if I remove it to surf wirelesly it says it's connected to my
network but any page I try to go to says
"the page you are looking for cannot b found" It must be some setting
on my router I assume but I can't for the life of me figure out what
else to change. Any more ideas?

More about : connection woes pocket

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:45:16 PM

Jane Austin wrote:
> I have tried some suggestions from another posting but stilhaving
> problems gtting my Pocket PC (Assus a730W) to connect to the internet
> through my D-Link wireless modem (DI-624)
>
> I've set the modem so that the "g"format is off. I've tried with or
> without WEP and with or without firewall. I've released and renewed my
> IP address.
>
> If put the PPC in the cradle it will connect to the internet just
> fine but if I remove it to surf wirelesly it says it's connected to my
> network but any page I try to go to says
> "the page you are looking for cannot b found" It must be some setting
> on my router I assume but I can't for the life of me figure out what
> else to change. Any more ideas?

Go to the last tab in the wireless setup and make sure that both entries
are set to Work. Sorry, don't have my X50v here so I can't be more
specific other than for a LAN no settings should be Internet.

May 1, 2005 7:45:16 PM

I have some general wireless network troubleshooting help on this page...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...

Once you get a valid IP you should be good to go. If so and you still get the "page not found"
message, some folks report running/tapping the "\Windows\welcome" file on your PocketPC clears up
PIE connectivity issues...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried some suggestions from another posting but stilhaving
> problems gtting my Pocket PC (Assus a730W) to connect to the internet
> through my D-Link wireless modem (DI-624)
>
> I've set the modem so that the "g"format is off. I've tried with or
> without WEP and with or without firewall. I've released and renewed my
> IP address.
>
> If put the PPC in the cradle it will connect to the internet just
> fine but if I remove it to surf wirelesly it says it's connected to my
> network but any page I try to go to says
> "the page you are looking for cannot b found" It must be some setting
> on my router I assume but I can't for the life of me figure out what
> else to change. Any more ideas?
May 1, 2005 10:20:29 PM

> Jane Austin wrote:
>> I have tried some suggestions from another posting but stilhaving
>> problems gtting my Pocket PC (Assus a730W) to connect to the internet
>> through my D-Link wireless modem (DI-624)
>>
>> I've set the modem so that the "g"format is off. I've tried with or
>> without WEP and with or without firewall. I've released and renewed my
>> IP address.
>>
>> If put the PPC in the cradle it will connect to the internet just
>> fine but if I remove it to surf wirelesly it says it's connected to my
>> network but any page I try to go to says
>> "the page you are looking for cannot b found" It must be some setting
>> on my router I assume but I can't for the life of me figure out what
>> else to change. Any more ideas?
>
> Go to the last tab in the wireless setup and make sure that both entries
> are set to Work. Sorry, don't have my X50v here so I can't be more
> specific other than for a LAN no settings should be Internet.

haven't seen your ealier posts - what gateway have you set / ip of your
router?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:15:44 AM

I can't find this . I read somewhere about a welcome.exe file in the
windows directory but I can't find it on my ASUS a730w

On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:52:09 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have some general wireless network troubleshooting help on this page...
>
>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...
>
>Once you get a valid IP you should be good to go. If so and you still get the "page not found"
>message, some folks report running/tapping the "\Windows\welcome" file on your PocketPC clears up
>PIE connectivity issues...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:56:10 AM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:52:09 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have some general wireless network troubleshooting help on this page...
>
>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...
>
>Once you get a valid IP you should be good to go. If so and you still get the "page not found"
>message, some folks report running/tapping the "\Windows\welcome" file on your PocketPC clears up
>PIE connectivity issues...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:58:48 AM

I guess it was hidden, When I typed it as run command it worked -
thanks
I finally connected but only with WEP security turned off on router
and PDA. This doesn't seem very secure.Hopefully I'll get this sorted
out too.

Thanks for the help everyone

On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:52:09 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have some general wireless network troubleshooting help on this page...
>
>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...
>
>Once you get a valid IP you should be good to go. If so and you still get the "page not found"
>message, some folks report running/tapping the "\Windows\welcome" file on your PocketPC clears up
>PIE connectivity issues...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:58:49 AM

Your right, not using 128-bit WEP (that's the minimum) is not secure. Better yet use WPA, if your
hardware supports it.

If you can only use 128-bit WEP then try a hex representation of the key on the PocketPC. See the
key generator link on the page I pointed you to...

--

> I guess it was hidden, When I typed it as run command it worked -
> thanks
> I finally connected but only with WEP security turned off on router
> and PDA. This doesn't seem very secure.Hopefully I'll get this sorted
> out too.
>
> Thanks for the help everyone
>
> On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:52:09 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I have some general wireless network troubleshooting help on this page...
>>
>>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...
>>
>>Once you get a valid IP you should be good to go. If so and you still get the "page not found"
>>message, some folks report running/tapping the "\Windows\welcome" file on your PocketPC clears up
>>PIE connectivity issues...

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:39:34 AM

I know it's not secure but as soon a I turn on WEP on my modem and
change that setting on my PDA also when I try to get to a page I get a
message "cannot connect with current connection settings.To change
your connection settings, tap settings."

When I do this I see no options to change to make the difference and
no help available either

>Your right, not using 128-bit WEP (that's the minimum) is not secure. Better yet use WPA, if your
>hardware supports it.
>
>If you can only use 128-bit WEP then try a hex representation of the key on the PocketPC. See the
>key generator link on the page I pointed you to...
May 2, 2005 3:51:59 AM

I had to go to the connections tab, select the wireless adapter, and give it
a static IP address and set the default gateway to your wireless router.
Also, go to the nameserver tab and enter the ip address of your ISP's
nameserver. If you don't know what this is, use this one 216.68.4.10 and
216.68.5.10. After saving the settings, do a soft reset and scan for the
network.

Hope this helps,
Boz

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried some suggestions from another posting but stilhaving
> problems gtting my Pocket PC (Assus a730W) to connect to the internet
> through my D-Link wireless modem (DI-624)
>
> I've set the modem so that the "g"format is off. I've tried with or
> without WEP and with or without firewall. I've released and renewed my
> IP address.
>
> If put the PPC in the cradle it will connect to the internet just
> fine but if I remove it to surf wirelesly it says it's connected to my
> network but any page I try to go to says
> "the page you are looking for cannot b found" It must be some setting
> on my router I assume but I can't for the life of me figure out what
> else to change. Any more ideas?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:10:47 PM

Thanks I'll give it a try