GA-965P-DS3 On-Board Sound Questions

Bonillan

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I just upgraded to a E4300, 965P-DS3, 2gigs of OCZ, and an 8800GTS.

My question is I have Logitech Z-5500 speakers. I have them connected via the coaxial spdif on the DS3. My problem is I have no rear sound. I've updated the drivers to the latest but all I get is the front 2 speakers. No center and no rear.

Also can someone point out what the best programs are to get the most out of the board? Like Temp monitoring, fan speeds, etc?

jpgonz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I just recently finshed my first build using the ds3. I was not at all impressed with the onboard audio. Part of me will always hold a grudge against onboard sound/video I guess. I plugged my Klipsch THX 2.1 into the onboard audio and my first impression was it just couldnt handle it. Bass didnt seem responsive, sound would distort at medium-high volume.

I then downloaded and installed the updated HD audio driver from the Gigabyte website. I'm not sure if there are any settings to change (still getting used to vista) but I did not notice any change. So, I installed my old SB Audigy 4 from the previous computer. No problems and everything work just as it did before, perfect. My recommendation might be to pick up a decent sound card if no solution is found, might serve you better in the long run.

As far as temp monitoring, C2D Temp Guide
is a good place to start. It'll get ya started on monitoring fans, temps and things.

Bonillan

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the link. I was hoping it wouldn't come to getting a soundcard. I really liked the soundstorm stuff on my old A7N8X Deluxe board. The kick in the pants is creative pretty much is all thats out there.

Oh well, The X-Fi Fatality board is $65 on Amazon + $15 Digital IO addon to get coaxial ain't too bad.

Orbixx

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I'm having the same problem with my rear audio output, except I'm not using optical or coax, just the standard 3.5mm jacks.

For some strange reason just like yours, the front audio jacks will function perfectly, I'm getting no output at all from the rear jacks.

Anyone have any ideas? I've exhausted mine.

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I just recently finshed my first build using the ds3. I was not at all impressed with the onboard audio. Part of me will always hold a grudge against onboard sound/video I guess. I plugged my Klipsch THX 2.1 into the onboard audio and my first impression was it just couldnt handle it. Bass didnt seem responsive, sound would distort at medium-high volume.

I then downloaded and installed the updated HD audio driver from the Gigabyte website. I'm not sure if there are any settings to change (still getting used to vista) but I did not notice any change. So, I installed my old SB Audigy 4 from the previous computer. No problems and everything work just as it did before, perfect. My recommendation might be to pick up a decent sound card if no solution is found, might serve you better in the long run.

As far as temp monitoring, C2D Temp Guide
is a good place to start. It'll get ya started on monitoring fans, temps and things.

I had the same problem as you evne with headphones not just speakers. So i insatlled my Audigy 4 and it works flawlessly. I think its an IRQ problem because 2 much stuff is assigned to one IRQ and the sound card has to share the same IRQ with another device so sometimes its not as responsive as it should be.

Orbixx

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Just been talking to my work-mate who's had this problem a long time ago with the Realtek HD Audio drivers, he can't completely recall what he done to fix it, I'm going to bug him to remember.

From what he told me, it leads me to believe it is a software problem with the configuration of the Realtek utility.

If anyone knows please post, in the mean time I'll try and find a resolution.

Orbixx

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I believe I figured it out, first go to the Realtek control panel. Go to the Audio I/O tab and click on the spanner next to Analog. In here tick Disable front panel jack detection and click ok.

Then in the relevent jacks displayed in Audio I/O, click on each one of them and click ok, this sorted it out for me, quite strange that I had to do that though.

Let me know if it works for you.

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I believe I figured it out, first go to the Realtek control panel. Go to the Audio I/O tab and click on the spanner next to Analog. In here tick Disable front panel jack detection and click ok.

Then in the relevent jacks displayed in Audio I/O, click on each one of them and click ok, this sorted it out for me, quite strange that I had to do that though.

Let me know if it works for you.

I already did this initially like it said in the manual but it still wouldnt work properly since it would distord the sound sometimes.

Thats why i switched over to my Audigy 4 and it has been working fine.

Bonillan

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Well according to realtek the ALC888 is suppose to do Dolby Digital Live but I see no setting to enable it or get it working. My Z5500s have Dolby and DTS decoders so they're not the problem either.