windows tries to open but looks weak and then BSOD

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I added a 8800gtx recently and it seemed to work fine but today a problem happened and now everytime I start-up when windows goes to open, the windows logo is so faint that it can barely be seen and then BSOD. Could my enermax 535w ps be the problem?

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
A problem like this is rare for a Enermax psu, but most likely it is your power supply.

On a side note, please list the rest of your system components.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I added a 8800gtx recently and it seemed to work fine but today a problem happened and now everytime I start-up when windows goes to open, the windows logo is so faint that it can barely be seen and then BSOD. Could my enermax 535w ps be the problem?
maybe posting more information about your computer would help, cause.. you know.. we're not mindreaders :p

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
AMD FX60 CPU @2.8 Mhz
XFX 8800GTX
CORSAIR XMS PC3200 1Ghz
AUDIGY SOUND BLASTER2 ZS PLAT
WD 74G RAPTORS (2) RAID 0
ATI TV TUNER
DELL 2005FPW
ENERMAX PHOENIX CASE
ENERMAX 535W SLI PSU

The system posts fine but when it's time for Windows to load, it comes up for a second but the screen is very dull like it doesn't have enough power to display. Then I get a blue screen and another reboot. It always goes to the screen where you can start normally or safe,etc but after a pick windows refuses to load.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Try the card in a different machine, if it gives same or identical results = bad card. Try a different monitor even, Ive seen that as a problem in some video flaws. I would leave the Powersupply as the last guy on the list to check.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I have to disagree with Enforcer.

Looking at your system specs, I can almost guarantee you that it is your power supply. Between the overclocked fx-60, the 8800GTX, and your other high end components, your system is drawing a decent amount of power.

Random BSOD's are often a sign of a faulty PS or RAM. In this case, it is the PS.

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I will try to swap out graphic cards with a xfx7900gt to see what happens but do you think if the psu is weak, it still might have enough power to run the other card? I think you might be right about it being the psu and not ram because I had a bad stick of memory before and the post and bios would freeze-up. This time the bios seem fine, it's just when windows tries to open.

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I have to disagree with Enforcer.

Looking at your system specs, I can almost guarantee you that it is your power supply. Between the overclocked fx-60, the 8800GTX, and your other high end components, your system is drawing a decent amount of power.

Random BSOD's are often a sign of a faulty PS or RAM. In this case, it is the PS.

I did not know how important a PS was until I started Over clocking a few years back. They can even work and work fine but flake out sometimes when you are over clocking OR install a power hungry device. If your system was running fine and then doing what you are saying its doing then I would "definitely" try another power supply just from my personal experience also. Not to start anything at all, its just something I would definitely look at as one of the very first things to look at. :)

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Well I tried swapping the 8800gtx with a 7900gt today and the same thing happened. As soon as windows tried to open you could barely see the logo then the system failed. I quess it's time to buy a bigger psu but is there any other issues that I should consider like faulty cpu or mb before I start buying another computer's worth of parts?

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Found the problem!
First, I replaced psu's with a 850w Silverstone and started it up but nothing changed. Still wouldn't load Windows. So I looked into the bios for any issues and decided to unclock my FX60 back to default settings at 2600Mhz,was at 2859Mhz, and then Windows loaded just fine. Guess I spent $200.00 for nothing but it will future proof the computer for any upgrades later.
As far as the overclocking issue, I originally overclocked the cpu using ASUS AI Booster and changing the external frequency by 10%. Should I have changed the multiplier instead?
I am not too sure if there is a difference between the two but I have read of others with FX60's pushing 3.0 or better with no problem. Maybe I've got a weak CPU.