Sign in with
Your question

new 7600gt - posts but wont boot windows

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2007 11:10:32 PM

I am currently running P4 2.4ghz Northwood + Asus P4SD-LA.

i just got a 7600gt and put it in my computer

i used a 300w power supply even though it recommended a 350w power supply.

it went to post then it died before the windows logo (no signal)

then i swapped in a 350w power supply and it did the same thing

next i put the 7600gt inside my roommates computer with the 350w power supply and it worked just fine!

then i put my roommates 6200le inside my machine with the 300w power supply and it went to post then died before the windows logo just like before.

not much info on the internet, there are two settings in my bios for video card selection (1) PCI and (2) AGP/Onboard. i have tried both with no success.

i also tried resetting the CMOS, removing PCI components, removing RAM. nothing changes though, its always the same-- POST then no signal.

i tried starting in safe mode, i also tried switching monitors.

the onboard video works fine when i unplug the AGP card, im using the same comptuer right now, but whenever i put in one of these AGP cards it wont go past POST.

can anyone recommend a solution or remedy beyond upgrading/new computer.
February 3, 2007 11:55:07 PM

Sorry, but I can't recommend a remedy other than a hardware replacement.

Your power supply is most likely toast. When you fry a power supply once, it will never work the same, even if it works(that does make sense, right?).
February 4, 2007 12:05:31 AM

so youre saying the problem is my power supply and not the video card? i will work on getting a new power supply tomorrow.

any suggestions in the mean time?
Related resources
February 4, 2007 3:33:07 PM

My sister had the same problem when upgrading to a 6800GS AGP, her old power supply just couldn't handle the video card. Even when she switched back to her FX5200, it still didn't work right.

When you put the video card in, it is also a good idea to disable onboard video(but this isn't what is causing your problem).
February 5, 2007 1:42:21 AM

Quote:
I am currently running P4 2.4ghz Northwood + Asus P4SD-LA.

i just got a 7600gt and put it in my computer

i used a 300w power supply even though it recommended a 350w power supply.

it went to post then it died before the windows logo (no signal)

then i swapped in a 350w power supply and it did the same thing

next i put the 7600gt inside my roommates computer with the 350w power supply and it worked just fine!

then i put my roommates 6200le inside my machine with the 300w power supply and it went to post then died before the windows logo just like before.

not much info on the internet, there are two settings in my bios for video card selection (1) PCI and (2) AGP/Onboard. i have tried both with no success.

i also tried resetting the CMOS, removing PCI components, removing RAM. nothing changes though, its always the same-- POST then no signal.

i tried starting in safe mode, i also tried switching monitors.

the onboard video works fine when i unplug the AGP card, im using the same comptuer right now, but whenever i put in one of these AGP cards it wont go past POST.

can anyone recommend a solution or remedy beyond upgrading/new computer.

With that other video card I highlighted doiing the same thing and your 7600gt working in your friends computer, its not your video card for sure.
Was your system working fine "before" you installed the 7600gt card?
If so, what card?
If the 7600gt worked with the 350w ps in your pals computer, then its something else in your machine. Maybe windows is just corrupted and needs to be totally reinstalled. Or maybe your ram is "flaky". If data is important, throw it on your buddies machine, back your stuff up, then reinstall Windows XP and that will eliminate your OS as being the issue. If it won't install XP after all that, then its probably your RAM or MB that has the issue. Or maybe your HD is freakin out and wont boot. Who knows. Try the reinstall or do a ram test. Download memtest86 from the internet and try that. :) 
Good Luck! :)  :) 
February 5, 2007 1:54:03 AM

update

i bought a new board and processor, as well as a new 430watt quality antec earthwatt psu...

i kept the same ram, hd, and cd rom

i also went back to the store and exchanged my 7600gt for a new one.

after installing and configuring everything, i put in the brand new xfx 7600gt and...

after post it went blank with no signal!!!

please help me solve this mystery

i will try memtest and also check the hd and let you know how it goes.
February 5, 2007 1:57:26 AM

Quote:
update

i bought a new board and processor, as well as a new 430watt quality antec earthwatt psu...

i kept the same ram, hd, and cd rom

i also went back to the store and exchanged my 7600gt for a new one.

after installing and configuring everything, i put in the brand new xfx 7600gt and...

after post it went blank with no signal!!!

please help me solve this mystery

i will try memtest and also check the hd and let you know how it goes.

At this point with a new CPU, MB, VIDEO Card And Powersupply, your "RAM" is the next thing. Also, Unplug any other PCI card you have plugged into the board. Pull the CDROM cable, floppy also. Leave ONLY your hard drive plugged up. Try memtest86. If it gets errors you will know in about the first 5 to 15 minutes. Also, If you have more than one ram stick, try ONE stick at a time. Try one, if it boinks, try the other one by itself. :) 
Good Luck! :) 
February 5, 2007 2:26:41 AM

i forgot to mention, after the new motherboard i reinstalled windows.

memtest is fine so far after 26min. it is crucial ram pc2700 ddr333 so i think it should be ok.

no errors on memtest 55% done 26 min
February 5, 2007 2:27:51 AM

i also tried using a different monitor as well as a different vga-dvi adapter

no luck

and no other pci cards are connected.

the old system was working fine before the new 7600gt, i had an older version 6200le 256mb and it worked great but then i sold it and bought this new one. thats the last time i sell a part before seeing if the new one works
February 5, 2007 2:39:32 AM

Quote:
i also tried using a different monitor as well as a different vga-dvi adapter

no luck

and no other pci cards are connected.

the old system was working fine before the new 7600gt, i had an older version 6200le 256mb and it worked great but then i sold it and bought this new one. thats the last time i sell a part before seeing if the new one works

Try another Hard Drive. At this point, its about the "only" thing left that "might" make your system flaky.
February 5, 2007 3:13:57 AM

i appreciate all your help jjman,

if we assume the hd is good (i will swap in a new one on tuesday)

what else could be wrong? nothing? this is very frustrating for me and thank you
!