Sign in with
Your question

help with first oc - geforce 7600GT

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2007 12:29:21 AM

I have a EVGA GeForce 7600GT and am interested in OCing it. It is currently set to core clock freq of 560 and memory clock freq of 700. The current optimal detected settings are 563 and 714. I know these are a good place to start but have never OCed a videocard so am a little nervous. What settings does everyone else with this card use and what would you guys recommend? Should I start with the optimal settings and then slowly increase in 5 MHz increments until it no longer passes the test? Finally, I have DLed 3dmark05 and ran the video test and it plays through the 4 clips and then restarts. Is there anyway to get a report on what my settings are (FPS, etc) after the test runs through?

More about : geforce 7600gt

February 4, 2007 3:54:33 AM

Sounds like your on the right track. Make sure you keep an eye on the temps....im not sure what program your using to overclock, but Ntune is a great program to keep an eye on your GPU temps (along with everything else)
Related resources
February 9, 2007 2:26:32 AM

Memory speed may depend on what chips you have on yours.

Generally, some people manage to o'c the typical 7600GT to about 625/800, some a little higher or lower.

Forget the recommended o'c, it's rarely ever right. It takes more trial and error, and downclocking some if you find the card temp rises a lot during gaming.

Some people find that using the overclock test in Display Properties, RivaTuner, etc, fouls things up. I mean that if you try a setting too high, it will give invalid results for ALL further testing until you reboot. For example, suppose you had a card that was actually capable for 625/800 (but you didn't know that yet), and you first try 640/900 and it tells you it failed.

Next you think "I'll try lower like 600/750", and you do, and it fails, but not because it REALLY failed, only because the test is not working right anymore. If you were to reboot and first try a setting low enough that it was stable (like that 600/750 again, (and supposing as mentioned above that your card is really capable of o'c to 625/800)) it will now pass the test, over and over, and same for any higher speed up to the true limit of the card's stability limit but once you try a speed too high, you may have to reboot again to start getting valid results again.

There are also some voltmod guides online, basically a couple of single-digit KOhm resistors or a 20K variable resistor type mods if you're up for them, some have had good results with this and others not so much higher.

Unless your case cooling is pretty bad it's doubtful you will have to worry about temperatures, only that whatever your peak stable o'c is, it might be lower if the card starts getting up in the (it'll vary per card, the specimen of GPU & memory, but a random number might be) 60C+ range.

Many of the 7600GT with the squirrel-cage bladed fans are somewhat loud for the fairly low heat produced by a 7600 GPU, if yours has this type of fan you might want to first get a different 'sink, lower the fan speed by your preferred method or whatever, before going to the trouble of trying to find a peak o'c, so that if the fan or fan-sink change, changes the GPU temp, you will only have to test o'c this one time after the fan change instead of having to do it again a second time.

If your card can't do at least 580/750, you might consider it a poor overclocker.
February 9, 2007 5:53:49 AM

thanks for the advice. I was able to get the card to 586/756 with temps at 54. Anything over this and the card no longer passes the test. Guess I do not have a good card for OCing. Are these freq. as high as I can go without volt mods now?
February 9, 2007 12:07:21 PM

You can try removing the cooler and cleaning the chip and cooler. Then, replace the TIM with Artic Silver for optimal cooling. Or, replace the cooling on the GPU and ram... Those will increase the maximum overclock you can get.

However, don't expect any miracles, the results should be better, but not worlds better.
February 13, 2007 8:48:26 PM

I used ATI tool on my 7900GS and went from 450/660 to 500/690 (not a max, but a start) - and my 3D Mark 2006 score stayed the same - 4774!

what gives?!

Thanks!!!
February 13, 2007 9:04:59 PM

Quote:
I used ATI tool on my 7900GS and went from 450/660 to 500/690 (not a max, but a start) - and my 3D Mark 2006 score stayed the same - 4774!

what gives?!

Thanks!!!
ATITool is going to give you the maximum stable speed. If you card isn't capable of stock speeds it will lower them. You can double check cooling, your card should run below 70 - 80 c while ATITool is testing it. If its higher than that you may see artifacts. Look at improving case cooling or video card cooling.

You can also try updating your drivers and \ or swapping power supplies.
February 19, 2007 6:02:17 AM

Wow, I like this ATI tool! Never bothered with it before. I always seen "ATI" and thought well that wont work on my nvidia! Its only showing me my core temp though. Ive been looking for a decent way to log gpu temps. Thanks!
!