22" LCD advice

ins1der

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I consider myself to be an average user.
I do a little work @ my PC. Multimedia consists of music, watching movies and browsing etc.. Usual stuff.
I'm not a professional programmer or anything like it.
I need a good 22" LCD monitor but not the best, i don't need perfection.
I was thinking of Samsung 225BW (22") Any thoughts on this particular model?
or could you suggest a few other models (22")?
I'm looking for the colors to be ok, contrast etc, image quality etc.
I don't care about response time, or viewing angle (178 or such stuff not needed). There will be no gaming on this monitor. Just average multimedia applications..

Samsung 225BW will do fine. If you want to save some cash this Acer AL2223Wd will cut it too at lower price. It has great reviews. I would go with Samsung, Viewsonic, Acer, NEC LCD's if you what the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009102

The Samsung 225BW is decent enough.

I love the way how newegg.com states that the Acer AL2223Wd is:

Windows Vista Certified

Looks like I need to replace my Planar PX191 LCD monitor when I upgrade to Vista since nowhere does it say it is compatible with Windows Vista.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I love the way how newegg.com states that the Acer AL2223Wd is:

Windows Vista Certified

Looks like I need to replace my Planar PX191 LCD monitor when I upgrade to Vista since nowhere does it say it is compatible with Windows Vista.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know right. They are putting it in that way like you cant use Vista if your LCD is not certified for Vista. Well not in that sence. :lol:

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Personally i have not heard of that company and have not had one myself. From the reviews it looks good. Lets see if anyone else had any experiance with it.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Googling it up and finding it discussed on other forums, it seems that a lot of people are pretty happy with it. I've heard that Chimei actually manufactures the panels for Dell, Viewsonic, etc. I found it locally at Micro Center for only $269.99! Pretty crazy...

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
I did quite a bit of research, as well as a few store visits before I settled on a Viewsonic VX2235. I have to say that it lives up to every expectation and then some! As many of the forums on this monitor mention, you will want to adjust the color, I don't know what's up with that, but once you tweak the color just a bit, I haven't seen another monitor that is any better for the price. There's a slightly cheaper version the VS2235, which seems like it would work fine for what you want. The VX is a bit more designed towards gaming and 3D, and WOW, does it ever do 3D great! I was blown away at the almost IMAX type 3d effects. It's more of a depth thing than coming out at you, but still, it has more of an aquarium depth look than many of the others that I saw. For a bit more though, Gateway has some awesome screens too! Yes, I said Gateway, who'da thunk it? I was pretty impressed with the clarity, brightness and down-right sleek look of theirs, but they were just a bit higher priced than I was looking for and the quality wasn't that much of an improvement to warrant an extra $100 for the models that I was looking at. From my personal experience, I'd stay FAR away from ACER. Not from a support standpoint, but just from a video quality standpoint. We got several at work and some of our graphics people are using them and they don't even come close in quality to the Viewsonic or Gateway models that I've seen. Having said that, I haven't seen every Acer model, so it's possible that they just got the cheapie ones at work, which wouldn't surprise me, but I was unimpressed, to say the least.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I picked up the Chimei on Monday. I really like it a lot. Viewing angles aren't the best. As pretty much everyone has said about it, there's some minimal backlight bleeding at the top and the bottom, but it's not too bad. I was lucky enough to get no dead or stuck pixels. Movies look awesome on it too, as does COD2 and BF2142, even when it's stretched. Colors could be just a little more vivid. As far as I can tell, this was a great buy at Micro Center for only $269.99.