Keen Edge on keen weapon?

Hi All,

Just discovered this great-looking game. A dumb question springs to
mind:

Can you cast the 3rd-level arcane spell Keen Edge on a magic weapon
which is already "keen"? I mean, I'm sure you can, but does it do
anything?

A normal rapier has a critical threat range of 18-20

A "keen" magic rapier has 15-20

A normal rapier with Keen Edge cast on it has 15-20

Could you cast Keen Edge on a keen rapier to get 12-20?

Just wondered if anyone had already tried this, before I spend hours
levelling up a Fighter/Sorc to try it ....

CC

Chris Carr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just discovered this great-looking game. A dumb question springs to
> mind:
>
> Can you cast the 3rd-level arcane spell Keen Edge on a magic weapon
> which is already "keen"? I mean, I'm sure you can, but does it do
> anything?
>
> A normal rapier has a critical threat range of 18-20
>
> A "keen" magic rapier has 15-20
>
> A normal rapier with Keen Edge cast on it has 15-20
>
> Could you cast Keen Edge on a keen rapier to get 12-20?
>
> Just wondered if anyone had already tried this, before I spend hours
> levelling up a Fighter/Sorc to try it ....
>
> CC

Not sure about your specific question, but just so you know, you can
download a module that allows you to level up characters and customize
just about everything on them. So you could use it to level up a
character real quick and test this (and test whatever else you want, as
well).

You can get them at http://nwvault.ign.com/index2.shtml

Halls of Advanced Training is great. Another is Novice to Epic Character
Maker.

On 16 Jan 2005 11:09:16 -0800, chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk (Chris Carr)
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Just discovered this great-looking game. A dumb question springs to
>mind:
>
>Can you cast the 3rd-level arcane spell Keen Edge on a magic weapon
>which is already "keen"? I mean, I'm sure you can, but does it do
>anything?
>
>A normal rapier has a critical threat range of 18-20
>
>A "keen" magic rapier has 15-20
>
>A normal rapier with Keen Edge cast on it has 15-20
>
>Could you cast Keen Edge on a keen rapier to get 12-20?
>
>Just wondered if anyone had already tried this, before I spend hours
>levelling up a Fighter/Sorc to try it ....

By the rules it should not be permitted. I've never tried it.

Chris Carr wrote:
> Can you cast the 3rd-level arcane spell Keen Edge on a magic weapon
> which is already "keen"? I mean, I'm sure you can, but does it do
> anything?
>
> A normal rapier has a critical threat range of 18-20
>
> A "keen" magic rapier has 15-20
>
> A normal rapier with Keen Edge cast on it has 15-20
>
> Could you cast Keen Edge on a keen rapier to get 12-20?

No, casting Keen Edge on a weapon that is already keen has no effect.

Also, unfortunately, a rapier is a piercing weapon, and although they can be keen you can only cast Keen Edge on
slashing weapons.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."