Cool looking water cooler!

Bozzkins

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
There are a couple of reviews on otehr sites, generally it seems to offer middling perfromance but at a (relatively) high cost.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
According to that article, a Zalman is a much much better purchase and I always thought that water cooling was the best.

Currently the best water rigs outperform the best commercial air coolers. But the linked water cooler is no competition for even middle of the road water coolers. It's radiator surface area is too small, etc., etc. I wonder if the reported mass included the coolant. If not, this thing is real heavy.

You gotta wonder why Frosty doesn't have a Tuniq review up yet. Interesting how they place the Ultra a small bit ahead of the 9700 in cooling. I need to go back and look at that Ultra review again.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
According to that article, a Zalman is a much much better purchase and I always thought that water cooling was the best.

Water cooling is the best. (Besides phase change/dry ice/LN2) but that kit is not a water cooler. Just because it has water in it doesn't make it a full blown water cooling loop :wink:

Looks kinda like that Thermaltake Volcano "Heat Exchanger"

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Water cooling, to a large extent. depends on the quantity of fluid available to move the heat from the generating point (cpu gpu) and to the cooling heat exchanger (radiator) where it is cooled.

This POS has neither enough liquid, nor a large enough radiator or air flow (fan) to be effective.

Kinda like putting a honda civic radiator on a dump truck. Water cooling yes, but not big enough to do the job.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The amount of liquid has a very small fraction to do with how well it cools.

As the coolant volume is decreased, it has a large fraction to do with how well a system cools. You need enough coolant to support a radiator of adequate size to exchange the heat to the air.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Go w/ the new OCZ phase changer, only 300 bucks

First of all, some sites are saying that they have missed their under-$300 forecast price point and may go as high as $450. Secondly, there aint no way in hell I'm gonna buy something that makes me cover my entire motherboard with silicone! Does anyone have any experience with doing something that patently stupid, and what it would do to motherboard temps? By my reckoning they would skyrocket, especially over the northbridge! This is just plain crazy!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
That's true, but what granite3 said is that because the cooler is small (meaning not much coolant) it won't cool as good as other water cooler, which isn't true, it won't cool as good because the radiator, pump, the whole thing sucks

A cooling system is like a chain - it is as good as its weakest link. So the point I made is that the amount of liquid does matter because if it is small enough, you can't use an adequate radiator. At their minimum limits, each component matters equally.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
That's my point, more liquid won't do you any good without a good rad, pump, and res

OK, I'll try one last time: If the liquid volume is too low, a gold plated silver radiator with the best pump in the world won't help you in the least. In other words, it is possible to go too small in liquid volume, rad size, air flow, etc. Remember, you said:

The amount of liquid has a very small fraction to do with how well it cools.

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Does it really matter that much to prove your point, in a way you are both right now kiss and make up.
It makes sense that if not sufficient coolant is used the heat transfer will not be very efficient according to basic laws of thermodynamics. The other person is also right in pointing out that radiator and pump have to be top notch, you both miss each others point :roll:

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The "water cooling" part of this system seems like a gimmik to me. Why?

The reasons for water cooling are simple:

a) Ambient Air temps outside the case are generally cooler than inside. Even most internal radiators draw their air from outside the case.

b) A bigger (in terms of maximum heat dissipation) heatsink/Rad can be fitted outside the case or in another location inside the case that is remote from the CPU socket. This also allows quieter fans, or even fanless rads.

c) The volume of water and amount of copper in the larger heatsink gives the system more "thermal inertia" and therefore nore stable temps.

The water is there simply to transfer the heat from point A to point B. This system would do better with heatpipes and an equally large heatsink/radiator, as they are more efficient heat conductors than wateer.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
what I meant is that if you filled the tubing to the tip top with liquid, it wouldn't make a difference between that and the same res/pump/rad with less tubing filled to the top with liquid, you're misunderstanding me, not the other way around

No, I understand the discussion just fine. Granite3 made good points by listing the quantity of fluid, the size of the radiator and the amount of air flow through the rad. He possibly assumed that the liquid flow and the temperature delta was adequate and one can't really assume that. Your reply to him was overgeneralized and I've already responded to the first sentence, so now look at the next bit where you wrote:

"The amount the w/c kit will cool the cpu/what ever is directly proporional to how well the coolant can be cooled, not how much, a good pump can take care of that."

Within limits, this is true, but you have to look at the practical aspects. In order to remove enough heat to cool the CPU, you need adequate radiator surface area and that is in part determined by the difference in temperature between the air and the rad. If your claim that the amount of water doesn't matter, then all you have to do is design systems with smaller and smaller liquid capacity. At some point, the diameter of the tubing and the radiator passages will have to get pretty small and when that happens, you're not going to be able to deliver adequate liquid flow with a practical pump and tubing setup.

I've cooled reactors that put out kilowatts of heat by using HSFs, water, TECs, LN2, you name it. As you drop the liquid volume in a WC loop, it becomes increasingly difficult to remove heat, period. If you don't believe me, then go do what I've done and try to build miniaturized cooling systems for aircraft applications where payload restrictions dictate the mass and size that's allowed. Go do the development, then come back and try to say liquid volume doesn't matter. Believe me, it does.

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I know what you're talking about, you're saying that if the ratio of coolant to total space for coolant isn't high enough, then it won't cool as well. What I'm saying is that if you compared the same pump, radiator but with different sized resevior filled up to the top, the performance would remain the same

Won't the size of the reservoir make a difference? For a liquid with the same heat capacity, the greater the mass the greater the energy needed to raise its temperature.
E= mc(t1-t2)
Therefore won't a larger reservoir be more efficient not that I have any experience with water cooling and this is kind of off topic?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes, there are many good points made about liquid cooling. There are many good air coolers out now that incorporate heatpipes and such, but a small, all-in-one mini cooler like this wouldn't be able to dissipate the heat it is trying to get rid of fast enough to do any good. The point of a regular water loop is to allow the water to cool to ambient temps before being routed back over the hot waterblocks again.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I know what you're talking about, you're saying that if the ratio of coolant to total space for coolant isn't high enough, then it won't cool as well. What I'm saying is that if you compared the same pump, radiator but with different sized resevior filled up to the top, the performance would remain the same

Won't the size of the reservoir make a difference? For a liquid with the same heat capacity, the greater the mass the greater the energy needed to raise its temperature.
E= mc(t1-t2)
Therefore won't a larger reservoir be more efficient not that I have any experience with water cooling and this is kind of off topic?

A reservoir makes no difference in load temps. It may take a few minutes longer to gain the last 2-3C under a full load situation, but the peak is the same as having no reservoir. Remember also that once the load is off the CPU, a reservoir will take longer for the water to get cycled through and cool down. The same energy required to heat the larger mass is now needed to cool that large mass back to normal.

With my T-Line setup I hit both instances of Prime95 and get to max load in about 90 seconds, when I quit them both I get back to the idle temp in about 40 seconds. The only thing a reservoir will do is increase those times.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am running a 2x120mm DangerDen radiator with a 5 1/2" bay res. My P4 640 @ 4.1ghz drops from 40C to 34C within a few seconds going from load to idle. My 7800gtx never sees above 38C...ever.