The 8800 is going to screw you guys just like the 7800 did

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Remember, not too long ago, when Nvidia released the 7 series? I was there but I didn't buy anything, just browsing and watching. WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! 8) I was eager to get a new computer but felt like I shouldn't rush into things, I felt like it would be best to wait. That was what I was doing for a full year, just lurking and watching the boards, watching technology evolve.

The I was looking at the 6 series, when all of a sudden the 7800 came out. Everyone jumped at the chance to get it. It was like $350-400 or something. A couple of months later, the 7900 came out for $300, completely pwning it in spec and price. I was like, dayum! And the 7800 continued to be more expensive than the 7900 despite being inferior, and Newegg continued to keep and advertise the 7800.

The 8900 and 8600 is about to do the same thing. And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! Waiting until bugs get fixed, waiting for prices to go down, waiting for newer standards, until after the thing I was just looking at becomes obsolete, until 9800GT, until 9900GT, KGT, I am still using my crappy word processor laptop which burns my legs, waiting for it to catch fire...

If you didn't jump on the GF7600GT, then nothing's going to make you happy, and you're going to keep waiting because there's always something better on the horizon.

And both nV and ATi try to get rid of the old stock once the new comes out and there were a few weeks worth of GF7800 sales, but you gotta catch them at the right time, because neither company wants their old stock sitting there draining away from the new so they stop shipments of the old long before the release of the new so that there is low impact from that perspective.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Remember, not too long ago, when Nvidia released the 7 series? I was there but I didn't buy anything, just browsing and watching. WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! 8) I was eager to get a new computer but felt like I shouldn't rush into things, I felt like it would be best to wait. That was what I was doing for a full year, just lurking and watching the boards, watching technology evolve.

The I was looking at the 6 series, when all of a sudden the 7800 came out. Everyone jumped at the chance to get it. It was like $350-400 or something. A couple of months later, the 7900 came out for $300, completely pwning it in spec and price. I was like, dayum! And the 7800 continued to be more expensive than the 7900 despite being inferior, and Newegg continued to keep and advertise the 7800.

The 8900 and 8600 is about to do the same thing. And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! Waiting until bugs get fixed, waiting for prices to go down, waiting for newer standards, until after the thing I was just looking at becomes obsolete, until 9800GT, until 9900GT, KGT, I am still using my crappy word processor laptop which burns my legs, waiting for it to catch fire...

This is a most unproductive thread. There is absolutely no need for me, or pretty much anyone else on this site, to read the most obvious thing about computers: they become outdated. Processors and video cards are the fastest outdated components in a system, and it doesn't matter when you wait to purchase; you are instantly obsolete anyway. If you are looking for a new computer, might as well do it now. There's hardly much of a better time.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
lmao, yeah how stupid do people get, crap is always being outdated i have an 8800GTX i LOVE it, ultra fast but guess what i bought an eVGA video card, witch means when the 8900 comes out BANG, 100 bucks from the pocket and i have the latest and greatest, must suck to be you.

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
lmao, yeah how stupid do people get, crap is always being outdated i have an 8800GTX i LOVE it, ultra fast but guess what i bought an eVGA video card, witch means when the 8900 comes out BANG, 100 bucks from the pocket and i have the latest and greatest, must suck to be you.

That is if it comes out within 90 days from the time you bought your 8800 - if not you're stuck like the rest of the early adopters...

Then again you should already know that - and G81 is a ways off yet.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
point taken, except lucky for me and all the other G80 owners, eVGA has extended our 90 days. thank god for eVGA knowing what customers want, the G81!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
DAMN, extended?$?$?$?$?$?$? Nice for you beta testers, thanks for finding those bugs :twisted:

NOW IT'S MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! :p

Where'd everybody go :?:

chailvr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
I'm in the process of building a system and I just found out that the new cards are due. SHould I wait for the new ones (I'm on intel setup with E6600 and its a gaming rig) or should I just get the 8800GTX now?

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
And... that's why I always choose mid-range.

Not too expensive, good performers, good gaming experience, not too hot, reasonable power consumption. Almost perfect. 8)

*lurking in the shadows... waiting for the 8600 Ultra to arrive... THEN I'LL STRIKE!*

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Your at bat, 3 balls, 2 strikes, its do or die, the fans rant and rave, the APE leans back looks for that anticipated moment to toss the ball, all the sudden just as the APE is going to lunge forward you put your hand up to pause the game. The fans are out of control, beer bottles are being tossed you grab the mic and say, sry but the 8800gtx is on sale now I have to go and get it before it’s sold. Finally after waiting for a year you have the new card.
You scan the screen to see if there is a difference even goes to the extreme to bench and wow you said, black screen WTF is going on. You tried to fix the problem yourself and damaged the card but the card still works, good you say to yourself. I’ll go to toms and ask what is going on.
People at toms said all kinds of things so you put your old card back in and send for a rma now its almost a year since you got the 8800gtx and waiting to strike for the next great buy.
:lol:

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Lol this coming from a sh*t old radeon 9xxx series card, you've probably said the same thing for every new line of gfx cards that came out for the last 5 years.

Grain of salt.

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE!
So WAIT !!
Wait until 2179 ,because the GeForce 20900GT will come and kill the GeForce 20800GT ,Then STRIKE !! :twisted:

That's the funniest thing I heard today LOL. Made my day! :lol:

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
OMG!!!!!!

If i wait till 2096, i can get a graphics card that pwns the gforce8800 5000x over!!!!!!

o ah heck, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 919year outdated card....

or shud i keep waiting till 4000?

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
OMG!!!!!!

If i wait till 2096, i can get a graphics card that pwns the gforce8800 5000x over!!!!!!

o ah heck, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 19year outdated card....

That's the second funniest thing I heard today LMAO!

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
OMG!!!!!!

o ah heck, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 19year outdated card....

LOL, funny.
I like your maths. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
And just hope that the 8600 Ultra is not CPU hungry like its G80 big brothers are. [/crosses fingers]
What the hell does that mean? No one said you have to have a Core 2 Duo to make an 8800GTX fast, but if you want to see the most out of your framerates, you will want to minimize the CPU bottleneck as much as possible. It's not like Doom3 is all of the sudden going to be unplayable when you use an 8800GTX with a Pentium 4. It'll still outperform every other card on the market by huge margins, no matter what CPU you pair with it.