Sign in with
Your question

The 8800 is going to screw you guys just like the 7800 did

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2007 4:48:22 AM

Remember, not too long ago, when Nvidia released the 7 series? I was there but I didn't buy anything, just browsing and watching. WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! 8) I was eager to get a new computer but felt like I shouldn't rush into things, I felt like it would be best to wait. That was what I was doing for a full year, just lurking and watching the boards, watching technology evolve.

The I was looking at the 6 series, when all of a sudden the 7800 came out. Everyone jumped at the chance to get it. It was like $350-400 or something. A couple of months later, the 7900 came out for $300, completely pwning it in spec and price. I was like, dayum! And the 7800 continued to be more expensive than the 7900 despite being inferior, and Newegg continued to keep and advertise the 7800.

The 8900 and 8600 is about to do the same thing. And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! Waiting until bugs get fixed, waiting for prices to go down, waiting for newer standards, until after the thing I was just looking at becomes obsolete, until 9800GT, until 9900GT, KGT, I am still using my crappy word processor laptop which burns my legs, waiting for it to catch fire...

More about : 8800 screw guys 7800

a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2007 7:05:19 AM

If you didn't jump on the GF7600GT, then nothing's going to make you happy, and you're going to keep waiting because there's always something better on the horizon.

And both nV and ATi try to get rid of the old stock once the new comes out and there were a few weeks worth of GF7800 sales, but you gotta catch them at the right time, because neither company wants their old stock sitting there draining away from the new so they stop shipments of the old long before the release of the new so that there is low impact from that perspective.
February 5, 2007 1:54:12 AM

Quote:
Remember, not too long ago, when Nvidia released the 7 series? I was there but I didn't buy anything, just browsing and watching. WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! 8) I was eager to get a new computer but felt like I shouldn't rush into things, I felt like it would be best to wait. That was what I was doing for a full year, just lurking and watching the boards, watching technology evolve.

The I was looking at the 6 series, when all of a sudden the 7800 came out. Everyone jumped at the chance to get it. It was like $350-400 or something. A couple of months later, the 7900 came out for $300, completely pwning it in spec and price. I was like, dayum! And the 7800 continued to be more expensive than the 7900 despite being inferior, and Newegg continued to keep and advertise the 7800.

The 8900 and 8600 is about to do the same thing. And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! Waiting until bugs get fixed, waiting for prices to go down, waiting for newer standards, until after the thing I was just looking at becomes obsolete, until 9800GT, until 9900GT, KGT, I am still using my crappy word processor laptop which burns my legs, waiting for it to catch fire...

This is a most unproductive thread. There is absolutely no need for me, or pretty much anyone else on this site, to read the most obvious thing about computers: they become outdated. Processors and video cards are the fastest outdated components in a system, and it doesn't matter when you wait to purchase; you are instantly obsolete anyway. If you are looking for a new computer, might as well do it now. There's hardly much of a better time.
February 5, 2007 4:44:51 PM

Quote:
And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE!

So WAIT !!
Wait until 2179 ,because the GeForce 20900GT will come and kill the GeForce 20800GT ,Then STRIKE !! :twisted:
February 6, 2007 1:48:04 PM

lmao, yeah how stupid do people get, crap is always being outdated i have an 8800GTX i LOVE it, ultra fast but guess what i bought an eVGA video card, witch means when the 8900 comes out BANG, 100 bucks from the pocket and i have the latest and greatest, must suck to be you.
February 6, 2007 2:42:03 PM

Quote:
lmao, yeah how stupid do people get, crap is always being outdated i have an 8800GTX i LOVE it, ultra fast but guess what i bought an eVGA video card, witch means when the 8900 comes out BANG, 100 bucks from the pocket and i have the latest and greatest, must suck to be you.

That is if it comes out within 90 days from the time you bought your 8800 - if not you're stuck like the rest of the early adopters...

Then again you should already know that - and G81 is a ways off yet.
February 6, 2007 2:44:12 PM

point taken, except lucky for me and all the other G80 owners, eVGA has extended our 90 days. thank god for eVGA knowing what customers want, the G81!
February 6, 2007 3:03:49 PM

DAMN, extended?$?$?$?$?$?$? Nice for you beta testers, thanks for finding those bugs :twisted:

NOW IT'S MY MOMENT TO STRIKE! :p 

Where'd everybody go :?:
February 7, 2007 1:16:00 AM

I'm in the process of building a system and I just found out that the new cards are due. SHould I wait for the new ones (I'm on intel setup with E6600 and its a gaming rig) or should I just get the 8800GTX now?
February 7, 2007 1:38:29 AM

And... that's why I always choose mid-range.

Not too expensive, good performers, good gaming experience, not too hot, reasonable power consumption. Almost perfect. 8)

*lurking in the shadows... waiting for the 8600 Ultra to arrive... THEN I'LL STRIKE!*
February 7, 2007 1:41:13 AM

And just hope that the 8600 Ultra is not CPU hungry like its G80 big brothers are. [/crosses fingers]
February 7, 2007 8:57:57 AM

Your at bat, 3 balls, 2 strikes, its do or die, the fans rant and rave, the APE leans back looks for that anticipated moment to toss the ball, all the sudden just as the APE is going to lunge forward you put your hand up to pause the game. The fans are out of control, beer bottles are being tossed you grab the mic and say, sry but the 8800gtx is on sale now I have to go and get it before it’s sold. Finally after waiting for a year you have the new card.
You scan the screen to see if there is a difference even goes to the extreme to bench and wow you said, black screen WTF is going on. You tried to fix the problem yourself and damaged the card but the card still works, good you say to yourself. I’ll go to toms and ask what is going on.
People at toms said all kinds of things so you put your old card back in and send for a rma now its almost a year since you got the 8800gtx and waiting to strike for the next great buy.
:lol: 
February 7, 2007 9:14:04 AM

Lol this coming from a sh*t old radeon 9xxx series card, you've probably said the same thing for every new line of gfx cards that came out for the last 5 years.

Grain of salt.
February 7, 2007 9:52:49 AM

It seems you like to wait....alot. I would recommend that you.....
February 7, 2007 9:58:16 AM

Quote:
And I've been waiting all this time, WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE!

So WAIT !!
Wait until 2179 ,because the GeForce 20900GT will come and kill the GeForce 20800GT ,Then STRIKE !! :twisted:

That's the funniest thing I heard today LOL. Made my day! :lol: 
February 7, 2007 10:27:04 AM

OMG!!!!!!

If i wait till 2096, i can get a graphics card that pwns the gforce8800 5000x over!!!!!!

o bugger, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 919year outdated card....

or shud i keep waiting till 4000?
February 7, 2007 10:34:38 AM

Quote:
OMG!!!!!!

If i wait till 2096, i can get a graphics card that pwns the gforce8800 5000x over!!!!!!

o bugger, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 19year outdated card....

That's the second funniest thing I heard today LMAO!
February 7, 2007 10:45:57 AM

Quote:
OMG!!!!!!

o bugger, the technology to extend the average person life beyond 100 hasnt come out yet!!!!! o well, gotta wait till 3015, then come back from the dead to buy the 19year outdated card....

LOL, funny.
I like your maths. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 7, 2007 10:49:14 AM

hey, wats wrong with my maths?

3015-2096 = 19
February 7, 2007 10:52:15 AM

Quote:
And just hope that the 8600 Ultra is not CPU hungry like its G80 big brothers are. [/crosses fingers]
What the hell does that mean? No one said you have to have a Core 2 Duo to make an 8800GTX fast, but if you want to see the most out of your framerates, you will want to minimize the CPU bottleneck as much as possible. It's not like Doom3 is all of the sudden going to be unplayable when you use an 8800GTX with a Pentium 4. It'll still outperform every other card on the market by huge margins, no matter what CPU you pair with it.
February 7, 2007 10:55:36 AM

2 × 3.1415 × 3015 × 2096 + 2 × 3.1415 × 30152 = 9.68218e+07.
February 7, 2007 10:56:28 AM

3015-2096=919
February 7, 2007 10:56:44 AM

Quote:
hey, wats wrong with my maths?

3015-2096 = 19

Hey....Close enough for me.
February 7, 2007 10:56:50 AM

Come on now, it's to early for that.
February 7, 2007 10:58:22 AM

woops

looks like i should be in bed, bot doin math on a forum then :D 
February 7, 2007 11:10:14 AM

1) There was no 6900 card, just because there was a 7900 I see no reason why nVidia would choose to release another model for the sake of keeping to some kind of numbering pattern.

2) The 6800 was the fastest nVidia card of its generation, I see no reason why the -800 shouldn't mean exactly that. Sure, the 8800GTS is above the price range of mid-range cards but bang-for-buck it compares with top-end from about a year ago, which is a character trait of a mid-range card (in my opinion).

3) I agree that right now IS the wrong time to buy an 8800 card, we all know that 8800 cards will drop in price but they won't become a bad card. Just because they require a good PSU doesn't mean they're evil. The 7800 cards will still play games just fine.

4) This is the wrong place to come and be cheap. If you want to be like that then make some kind of joke about your girlfriend/wife costing too much and rather than a PSU upgrade for a GPU you needed a job upgrade for her PMT. If you don't want to spend the money then don't. Wait and buy the card you want when it comes out but don't be childish and have a rant at people who have spent A LOT of their hard-earned on an 8800. If you care about money then you can surely appreciate that others care about theirs too.
February 7, 2007 11:16:30 AM

The pitch is handed to andy, ladies and gents, what will it be Andy tosses a screwball for the win.
February 7, 2007 11:27:40 AM

I agree with Andy hard earned cash and all that while i am rubbing my 7300GS :) 
February 7, 2007 11:45:41 AM

PX7800GT
Quote:
So WAIT !!
Wait until 2179 ,because the GeForce 20900GT will come and kill the GeForce 20800GT ,Then STRIKE !! Twisted Evil

In 2179 I will be 209 years old. Thank god for those borg hearts and mechanical guts keeping me alive til then. I love the evga 8800gtx it's the best video card ive ever had.
February 7, 2007 11:46:03 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

This is one of the funniest posts I've read in ages!

Thanks Eric :lol: 
February 7, 2007 11:51:41 AM

Quote:
PX7800GT So WAIT !!
Wait until 2179 ,because the GeForce 20900GT will come and kill the GeForce 20800GT ,Then STRIKE !! Twisted Evil

In 2179 I will be 209 years old. Thank god for those borg hearts and mechanical guts keeping me alive til then. I love the evga 8800gtx it's the best video card ive ever had.

Should I wait for the new borg heart's to come out, or just keep my 8800 borg heart?
February 7, 2007 1:29:30 PM

Uh, guys, it was sarcasm. Didn't you read the last bit, where he pokes fun at himself and at the whole concept of always waiting for the next big thing?

"until after the thing I was just looking at becomes obsolete, until 9800GT, until 9900GT, KGT, I am still using my crappy word processor laptop which burns my legs, waiting for it to catch fire..."

I guess it was a sarchasm for a few of you.

Funny though, since I'm waiting for the 8600 Ultra. It's usually a big shift in price/performance when new mid-range cards come out, so worth it for many. It will be MY TIME TO STRIKE!!
February 7, 2007 1:42:09 PM

Quote:

In A.D. 2101, War was beginning...

Captain: "What happen?"
Mechanic: "Somebody set up us the bomb."
Operator: "We get signal."
Captain: "What !"
Operator: "Main screen turn on."
Captain: "It's You !!"
Cats: "How are you gentlemen !!"
Cats: "All your base are belong to us."
Cats: "You are on the way to destruction."
Captain: "What you say !!"
Cats: "You have no chance to survive make your time."
Cats: "Ha ha ha ha..."
Operator: "Captain !!"
Captain: "Take off ever 'Zig'!!"
Captain: "You know what you doing."
Erik_Tilton: "WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE!"

pwnt...
February 7, 2007 1:46:31 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 7, 2007 1:46:42 PM

Well like i said it many others here said that millions of times the best advice is to wait at least until the ATI releases their DX10 card and the mid range Nvidia cards hits the market because then the current 88xx card prices will drop. That way you save yourself some money. I wouldn't wait any longer than that.
February 7, 2007 1:50:54 PM

Quote:
"All your base are belong to us."

Quote:
"WAITING FOR MY MOMENT TO STRIKE!"

ROFL :lol:  :lol: 
February 7, 2007 2:23:00 PM

ROFLMAO :lol: 

Where do you people come from???????????

2 7800GTXs in SLI, mind boggling gaming experience, max out all settings and play your ass off, so while you've been waiting we've been playing, and playing, and playing!

Have a nice wait! Bye Now! ROFLMAO :lol: 
February 7, 2007 2:25:24 PM

Glad my humor is appreciated :) 
February 7, 2007 2:55:55 PM

I read this thread with a ton of interest cuz I just built a new system at the end of January. A C2D 6300, 2GB Corsair XMS2, Raptor 150, Audigy 4..... To each their own, I guess.... but for me i decided on a 7950GT XFX ....(I'm partial to Nvidia) I could of easily bought a 8800 series but for me the i asked myself ....Can i go home and play games tonight with DX10 with my brand new 8800 ??. Good stable drivers available...? I don't want to be a beta tester I just want to game ... There's always a ton of promises with new technology and rarely is it as earth shattering as the ad's say it will be.... there's way too much hype with this bleeding edge hardware and DX10 ... As for me I rather let it mature for a bit... not throw myself into the fire ... Prices drop, technology zooms by ... its inevitable... but to buy into the hype now is just rather silly ....
February 7, 2007 3:10:57 PM

To me if i would buy a new video card today and it would be based on a DX9 technology it would feel like a waste of money no matter how much that cost. I rather wait until prices/drivers stabilize and get a mid range DX10 card instead of a DX9
February 7, 2007 3:44:50 PM

Quote:

Nice theory.

Despite what someone said eVGA lsits the following terms:
1) 90 days
2)Products known to have limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up Program.(meaning, if we decide not to make it available too bad).

Basically the program is of very limited use IMO as it stands... if you do have nay info on an extended period for the 8800's I'd appreciate details though...
February 7, 2007 3:51:19 PM

Quote:
To me if i would buy a new video card today and it would be based on a DX9 technology it would feel like a waste of money no matter how much that cost. I rather wait until prices/drivers stabilize and get a mid range DX10 card instead of a DX9

I totally agree !
February 7, 2007 3:52:32 PM

I'm waiting to STRIKE it rich
God buy me a 8800gtx I'll be good for the rest of my life
February 7, 2007 3:59:39 PM

yep, have not eaten in some time now. all monies were spent on computer stuff suggested by toms dudes.
February 7, 2007 4:12:24 PM

Quote:

I'm waiting for a Pamela Anderson blowjob, but it'll only happen in my dreams, Good Night. :wink:
February 7, 2007 4:33:13 PM

Just a quick thought: Yes, the 8800 cards ARE big money but they're good cards and I would have thought that they'll prove themselves as a good investment long-term because they have a lot of brute force.

If this thread had suggested that people who bought 7950GX2s were robbed blind then maybe, just maybe, it would have been closer to the truth. We all know the single-slot SLi cards can chuck out the frames per second but those who paid up with possible hopes of getting another later on for quad SLi just lucked out. Quad SLi was never done properly by nVidia and I feel for those who invested in nVidia's flagship only to be served with drivers that didn't deliver up the goods. Now nVidia is after pushing the 8800s, is it really going to spend its time developing more efficient drivers for a card no longer advertised? In some situations quad SLi gives poorer results than normal SLi - I think that's a criminal situation!
February 7, 2007 4:42:19 PM

I think anyone that get's a 8800 made a good move. Looking at the technology that went into it is awsome. The 128 independent shaders running at 1350 should be better than R600's 128 shader operations at about 800-1000mhz (guesing core clock).

Now Nvidia, just write a driver to use this potential.
February 7, 2007 5:02:21 PM

I bought my computer in febuary 2005 (so 2 years ago), I bought it with an Athlon 64 3500+ and a PCI-EX Nvidia Geforce 6600GT. I payd 300$ CAD fro the CPU and 250$ CAD for the graphic card (so in the US, it was most probably about 225$ and 175$ US). It runs just about every game very smoothly (including Quake 4 in 1600x1200 High details, but forget about ultra high details). Only thing missing would be another 1 Gig of RAM (2 x 512 Meg) for Gothic 3 (512 Meg would do, but you just can't put 3 dimm of RAM on a nforce 4 board).

I plan on upgrading this year for most probably a core 2 duo and I dont really know what graphic card.

My point is, there are good and bad times to wait (for example, Intel will do a major price cut in Q2, it really seems it will be in April or May, so mid April would be a bad time to buy a new CPU if the price cut didint append yet). But, if you want to wait 6 month just because a 10% faster 50$ cheaper graphic card will come out, you will wait your whole life!

For those who say computers get outdates VERY fast, well.... think about my 2 years old computer, it's still a solid performer today and I didint pay much, for the same price today, you have a core 2 duo 6400 and a 7900GS (and 1 gig DDR2 will be more expensive than my old 1 gig DDR 400 cost). Ya, it's a faster computer of course, but not THAT MUCH faster.

If you really want to wait 2 years for twice the performance, than most probably either your current computer satisfy you or you overestimate how fast computers gets outdated!

Another problem might be that you dont match CPU and graphic card well, if you pay 600$ for the CPU and 100$ for the graphic card hoping to make this a gaming computer, you might think your computer is already outdated when looking at benchmark of new cards 2 month later!
February 7, 2007 5:10:04 PM

Quote:

I'm waiting for a Pamela Anderson blowjob, but it'll only happen in my dreams, Good Night. :wink:

It will be the last blowjob you ever have because your penis will most likely rot and fall off within a day or two after so I hope its worth it! :) 

What??? We are not safe in our dream anymore :wink:
February 7, 2007 5:15:48 PM

See, the thing is, everyone wants to get a DX10 card. Thing is, you need Vista to get DX10, and I am not about to drop the great gameplay I have on XP to move to Vista just because the desktop is pretty. There are some real conflicting stories about just how well games play so far in Vista. So, no matter what card you buy, it will only be DX9 in XP, even if it is a 8800gtx. And yes, in DX9, it will still smoke anything out there now.

Quote:
2 × 3.1415 × 3015 × 2096 + 2 × 3.1415 × 30152 = 9.68218e+07.

9/11 times a billion...that's, that's...
No one knows what that is, Gary...

-Team America: World Police
!